This Room

03/01/2011

Burgundy walls divided midway by a green and gold border wrap like a ribbon around the room. If it was tied it would be at the closet by the hand picked shower curtains, used as closet doors, that match the pattern of the border perfectly.

The matching comforter and hand made window valance complete this room and make it perfect for a 14 year old girl.

In 1994.

A closer look reveals the years of joy, tears, memories, dreams, and angst.

The door is a different colour than those in the rest of the house, from the months the girl spent without one and learned that slamming said door was not the answer to her problems.

Behind the curtains that hang in the closet,  replacing the doors that were not closed properly, are stuffed animals once loved and believed to come to life, letters from old friends, and photo albums.

The walls whisper secrets told between girlfriends at sleepovers, secrets shared by the girl and her journal, secrets shared by the girl and her mom.

The plush carpet is stained from make up mishaps, spilled milk, and from tears.  Tears cried from a broken heart, a lost friendship, a misunderstanding, and from laughter.

SO. MUCH. LAUGHTER.

The ceiling has cracks. It’s heard yelling and has held it in. Soaking in the I hate you’s and the leave me alone’s. It didn’t break or crumble, it stayed strong and supported the girl.

The paint is a playground of pin holes and tape that once held up posters of Dylan McKay and Madonna, Van Gogh and Monet; embracing who she would become.

The room as a whole is beautiful memories. Hugs, laughter, tears, and warmth.

Its growing up and comfort.

It shaped her….

Me.

Its home.

Leighann

5 Responses to This Room
  1. Gus Mcnab
    March 17, 2011 | 6:23 pm

you’ve got great post here, keep ’em coming.

2. Carri
    March 27, 2011 | 1:32 pm

Loved this post. I can see the room and I can feel the emotions. Great work.

3. Bruna
    March 27, 2011 | 2:12 pm

Wow, beautiful words. I felt like I was there.

4. Chase McFadden
    March 27, 2011 | 8:38 pm

Terrific writing. My favorite part is the description of the ceiling.

It’d be cool to have a collection of people writing about their teenage rooms.

5. Sarah
    March 28, 2011 | 12:15 pm

This was so beautifully written. It actually made me have tears thinking of all the things my own room say growing up. Thanks for sharing.
    And the Dylan McKay line… totally made my day.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/03/06/this-room/trackback/

This Room

03/01/2011

In 1994.

A closer look reveals the years of joy, tears, memories, dreams, and angst.

SO. MUCH. LAUGHTER.

The room as a whole is beautiful memories. Hugs, laughter, tears, and warmth.

Its growing up and comfort.

It shaped her….

Me.

Its home.

Leighann

5 Responses to This Room
  1. Gus Mcnab
    March 17, 2011 | 6:23 pm

you’ve got great post here, keep ’em coming.

2. Carri
    March 27, 2011 | 1:32 pm

Loved this post. I can see the room and I can feel the emotions. Great work.

3. Bruna
    March 27, 2011 | 2:12 pm

Wow, beautiful words. I felt like I was there.

4. Chase McFadden
    March 27, 2011 | 8:38 pm

Terrific writing. My favorite part is the description of the ceiling.

It’d be cool to have a collection of people writing about their teenage rooms.

5. Sarah
    March 28, 2011 | 12:15 pm

And the Dylan McKay line… totally made my day.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/03/06/this-room/trackback/