Appreciating My Gift

Brian called.

He had run into an old neighbour of ours.

Being friendly he had asked how their baby was.

Their baby doesn’t live with them anymore.

They failed to provide adequately for him.

Their baby is the same age as ours.

I hung up the phone and stared at my daughter.

My 11 month old baby.

My innocent, adventurous, fragile, easy going, determined baby.

I felt my heart sink.

It sunk for the little boy who doesn’t live with his mommy and daddy anymore.

It aches to know if he is thriving now.

If he is being held by warm arms who love him.

I yearn to know that he is surrounded by loving people, a warm bed, and cozy pajamas.

Is he read stories, tickled, taken for walks?

Is he their joy?

I closed my eyes tight hoping they appreciate every second they have with him.

Just as I appreciate every second I have with mine.

I wished this with every bone in my body.

Leighann

18 Responses to Appreciating My Gift
    March 14, 2011 | 8:36 am

I work in a Childrens Hospital and the stories I hear are tragic. It is disgusting how people can neglect the basic needs of some one so innocent. Poor babe.

March 15, 2011 | 8:20 am

I also don’t understand how a parent could treat their own child with such abandon.
      We have to have licenses to own guns and drive cars but parenting can be done by anyone?

2. christina
    March 14, 2011 | 9:15 am

i could cry at this post. prior to having my own child, i ached anytime i heard a story about a child being neglected… now, it makes me very angry to hear it. i just don’t get it.

March 15, 2011 | 8:21 am

I know there are circumstances such as mental illness, misunderstandings, financial troubles, the child having issues that all can lead to removal but underneath it all I still get very angry!

3. MamaRobinJ
    March 14, 2011 | 10:47 am

Oh, that pains my heart. How very sad.

4. Shell
    March 14, 2011 | 12:05 pm

How incredibly heartbreaking!

5. By Word of Mouth Musings
    March 14, 2011 | 2:49 pm

So very sad …
    Could they not afford to take care of their child or just chose not too …
    either way, very sad …

March 15, 2011 | 8:23 am

The mother had severe mental health issues, they also had financial issues.
      There were attempts at assisting her parent but they were unsuccessful.
      It breaks my heart.

March 14, 2011 | 2:49 pm

I can’t even think about little ones not being cared for properly or given their most basic needs. They’re so sweet and helpless. Now I’m sad. 🙁

March 15, 2011 | 8:24 am

Sorry I made you sad.
      I can’t stop thinking about this poor little boy and if he is ok.
      *tear*

March 15, 2011 | 12:09 am

Goosebumps, so, so sad. Can you even imagine? How awful. I hope that baby is in a much better place.

8. Galit Breen
    March 15, 2011 | 12:27 am

Oh this just breaks my heart- twice. For that little boy and for moments when I’m not fully present with my own children. Thanks for the kick in the pants- I needed that.

March 15, 2011 | 8:25 am

It gave me a huge “ah ha” moment to.
      I’ve been more present with my family since.

March 15, 2011 | 3:22 am

I worked for a county in California for many years in the foster care department. Part of my job was to read why the children had been removed from their homes and it was heartbreaking. It was a very tough job. I hope that little boy is in a home now where he is cared for and loved.

March 15, 2011 | 8:27 am

Previous to what I do now I ran a crisis assessment home for troubled youth.
      It was awful to see the situations they left.
      But their attachment was still so strong to their mom’s.
      It always will be because thats how we’re built.

I hope this boy is loved too.