The Mom Pledge

Google Image

Blogging was something I had thought about for a long time but because I wasn’t part of the community I had not idea the impact it would have on me until I began. Learning about the technical aspect and all of the pieces that go into a blog almost scared me off, but I persevered. I needed to write.

I was battling a war with PPD/A and needed an outlet, a place to express myself. Feelings of vulnerability hit me like a wave as I hit publish and I had no idea what to expect from cyberspace. I was afraid of being judged, criticized, and laughed at. But, as I wrote I was linked with more PPD survivors and more moms.

I met The Empress.

I was filled with gratitude.

Finding this community was keeping me above water.

And then?

A comment so cruel that I had to read it twice. I stared at it in disbelief. Where had it come from? Why would another mom, another woman write such hate?

I had a choice, I could acknowledge the comment or ignore and re-read all of the positive comments received that day.

I deleted.

Negativity is not welcome.

Bullying is not welcome.

This is why I took the Mom Pledge.

We are all mom’s here doing the same job,  here to support one another.

Here surviving.

Leighann

13 Responses to The Mom Pledge
  1. Alexandra
    March 21, 2011 | 9:07 am

Oh, my goodness.

Didn’t you just lift me up?

Thank you.

As I said with my first visit here, I have the PPD button up on my blog, too.

Survivors, sister, from the same war…kindred forever.

I love you, too.

2. Elizabeth Flora Ross
    March 21, 2011 | 9:09 am

Ugh! I have not yet experienced that, but I see it on so many blogs. It’s terrible. And most of the time, the person does not have the guts to use her name. Good for you for deleting it and choosing to focus on the positive! I’m glad you are part of our new community!

March 21, 2011 | 6:00 pm

YES! Why the anonymous comments?
      Stand behind your opinions!
      Oh well. I can delete!

3. momdrobe
    March 21, 2011 | 9:16 am

I suffered from PPD with my second and it was one of the most heart-wrenching, yet empowering (in the end) journeys of my life. Just stumbled across while researching the Mom Pledge and now following you on twitter ; )

March 21, 2011 | 5:59 pm

Its a lonely disorder but can be overcome.
      Thank goodness for the support of the blogging community.

4. liz
    March 21, 2011 | 12:14 pm

Empress is da bomb diggity. Or should I say, Mom Diggity, cuz she takes care of all of us.

I think Elizabeth’s cause is so great and much needed!

March 21, 2011 | 5:58 pm

Its sad that The Mom Pledge is needed. We’re all adults and should know better so that we all teach our children to support one another!

L-O-V-E The Empress

March 21, 2011 | 1:28 pm

The Empress is awesome. I’m sorry that you were the victim of a nasty comment but I think you did the right thing by deleting it. The pledge is great and I hope it makes a difference with online bullying.

March 21, 2011 | 5:57 pm

I hope it does too…
      I really don’t pay much attention anymore to negative comments (I don’t get many).
      I focus on the positive.

And?
      The Empress DOES rock!

6. Carri
    March 21, 2011 | 10:09 pm

Yay! You took The Pledge! 🙂 I’m glad you didn’t let “anonymous” bring you down (Notice how all of those comments are made by anonymous?). You’re doing a great job! I have so much fun with you on Twitter and I just adore you. Keep on keepin’ on!

7. Galit Breen
    March 22, 2011 | 12:27 am

I’m so glad that you wrote this post and that you’ve found your home (The Empress makes such a fabulous hostess, doesn’t she?).

But mostly, I’m happy that you used a terrible incident to rise above and take a stand and importantly, to DELETE.

So sorry that happened to you. Let me know if you want me to kick some butt! I can be kind of tough sometimes! 🙂

8. MamaRobinJ
    March 24, 2011 | 10:35 pm

You got a nasty comment? YOU?! Why would anyone be nasty to you?! That makes me want to kick some ass.