Canadian Health Care… Thank You

So I’ve been having back pain for the past 3 weeks. I fell down the stairs with my baby on my hip and twisted to save my child. My heroic efforts were met with crippling pain. Thanks universe!
Thursday the pain was so intense I couldn’t get out of bed.
But I’m a survivor!
And I had to pee.
My aching body did not agree with this.
After passing out several times from the paralyzing pain I was rushed to the hospital.

Canadian Health Care System I want to thank you for the quality care:

1. Thank you 911 for not working the first 5 times my family called for an ambulance. This reassures me an emergency vehicle will be at my disposal should I need one.

2. For the paramedic who dropped his gum in my hair as I passed out in the chair, thank you for making a joke out of it. I didn’t see the humour in it that you did, however, I was in excruciating amounts of pain, wasn’t I?

3. To the admitting nurse who grabbed hold of the gurney I was laying limp on, shoving me against a wall in the emergency room hallway, leaving me there for hours without care. Thank you. I could not roll over from the pain, went in and out of consciousness, and was not spoken to or checked on.

4. You young X-Ray technicians who could not lift 30lbs let alone ME, I respect that you have a job to do but when a patient tells you they are going to pass out it might be advisable to listen. It’s much easier to move me when I’m still awake.

5.  Dear sweet nurse who stripped me naked in the Ressus room while I was unconscious, I am thankful for your speedy care, however, if you are going to insert catheters, IV’s, and other wires could you please put me in a room and not back in the hallway?

6.  To the angry nurse qualified to run the ECG, you are skilled in knowing where to place your sticky squares and attach your wires. Next time please take into consideration my not being in a room or having anything on under my gown as you expose me to the hallway full of patients and visitors.

7.  Dr. Girlfriend? I understand you’re tired. You work crazy hours, IN AN EMERGENCY ROOM, but when you can’t hide your eye rolls anymore it’s time to sneak into a broom closet and take a nap.

8. Overworked nursing staff, you are underpaid, you are not appreciated. You are not given enough time to finish paperwork. I empathize. But I will never understand putting paperwork before a patient. Seeing an elderly woman lose her dignity in a hall way because there was no time to take her to the bathroom was heartbreaking and haunts me still.

Canadian Health Care system, we are lucky to be able to have health care, however, the quality is disturbing.

I have been extremely sick this weekend and at no point during my two hospital visits did I feel I was treated like a human being.

How loudly do we have to scream before we exact change?

Leighann

30 Responses to Canadian Health Care… Thank You
  1. trish
    March 28, 2011 | 7:18 am

Good God woman….did they at least figure out what was wrong? Are u ok? Can I help?

2. Kristy
    March 28, 2011 | 7:38 am

You should call patient services! That is so not okay!

3. Miri
    March 28, 2011 | 7:51 am

Oh, I am so sorry! I too have dealt with hospitals, and been shocked at how cold and uncaring the treatment can be.

I hope you’re feeling better, and I would really suggest that you send a copy of this (or at least the relevant parts) to the director of the hospital you were in.

4. Nic
    March 28, 2011 | 8:11 am

GOOD FOR YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT!!! you are brave and will over come all of this. Love you!!!! Nic

5. Denelle @CaitsConcepts
    March 28, 2011 | 9:17 am

I think people really fail to understand that here in the States: that the universal health care system just is not something that could ever work here. Nice idea, but completely unfeasible. Hearing horror stories like this one just reinforces that for me!

So sorry you had to go through all of that and I hope you’re feeling better soon (and with no more hospital visits!).

6. MamaRobinJ
    March 28, 2011 | 9:57 am

Horrifying. I was talking to an American friend recently about our health care system and it’s the ER and hospital issues that really tip the balance. I’m not sure I would want it the other way, but I don’t know enough about it.

There’s no excuse for this though. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.

March 28, 2011 | 9:59 am

Oh honey…
    I am a nurse in Canada and this is what you need to do. Email or write a letter to The College Of Nurses of Ontario. This is unacceptable. Just because an ER is short staffed or whatever, that doesn’t mean that care should be short.
    I am so sorry that you had such a terrifying experience and I hope that you write that letter so that no one else has to experience that.

March 31, 2011 | 7:13 pm

And I am so sorry that YOU have been in pain as long as YOU have!
      Our health care system has failed you.
      It makes me so angry that this is happening to you.
      That this happened to me.
      And we’re the ones who are supposed to have it so great.

8. Elena
    March 28, 2011 | 11:18 am

First, I’m so sorry about your fall and the way you were treated. It’s awful that you didn’t feel that you were treated not only like a human being, but one that was in severe pain. The health care debate (in the U.S.) has been so out of control over the past 2 years. I think people here think it’s amazing for Canadians and, obviously, it’s not. It’s completely unacceptable how you were treated and I hope someone is listening. Get well soon, lady!

March 31, 2011 | 7:12 pm

I had no idea that the debate was so contraversial until the day before I posted this.
      Canadians are lucky to have the health care we do, we just don’t have the quality we should!

9. Sarah
    March 28, 2011 | 2:13 pm

That’s horrible… and I’m so sorry. I hope that you were at least able to FINALLY get out of pain… not that THAT would make your experience “worth it” but, it least it wouldn’t have been in vain!
    And yes, by ALL means, write MANY nasty letters of complaint!

10. Christine from MommyMatter
    March 28, 2011 | 2:45 pm

I have experienced quite similar many of times. It is the worst when my own children are hospitalized and no one is willing to help them.

Joys of our medical system, everyone’s underpaid and unwilling to help those that are not paying up front for their extra attention.

March 31, 2011 | 7:10 pm

Its really frustrating.
      I can’t imagine this being my child.

11. MamaTrack
    March 28, 2011 | 3:30 pm

Wow. Yikes. I hope you guys are ok!

Good luck with everything.

12. Laural Out Loud
    March 29, 2011 | 2:41 am

My husband has a back injury, and I know how utterly helpless a person can feel when overwhelmed with back pain. I hope that you eventually got the care that you needed and are feeling better (can you see a chiropractor? Even one visit would be worth it out of pocket, to get you back into alignment). And definitely write a letter, like a previous commenter suggested!

March 31, 2011 | 7:08 pm

Luckily I have benefits through my work which covers my trips to physio.
      If not I don’t know what I would do.

13. CJ
    March 29, 2011 | 3:41 pm

Holy. Hell. I am so very sorry that you had to endure that. Healthcare is so massively effed up, no matter where you are. It’s infuriating. I hope you are on the mend! Hugs.

March 31, 2011 | 7:07 pm

I wish I was on the mend!
      I am on MEDS?
      Is that kinda the same?
      LOL

14. Jack
    March 29, 2011 | 6:18 pm

Good lord- that sounds horrific.

15. Jackie
    March 29, 2011 | 9:05 pm

Wow… I hope that you contact someone about your experiences!

People complain about the health care here in the States and think that the health care system in Canada as well as overseas is great… my guess is that they don’t know all the details!

I hope that you’re feeling better.

March 31, 2011 | 6:57 pm

We are very fortunate to have access to the health care we do in Canada, however, because its set up the way it is sometimes we don’t get the quality we deserve.

16. Marjana
    March 31, 2011 | 9:55 am

What a terrible experience! I’m glad you wrote about it – perhaps you should write to the hospital as well in hopes something would be done about it. I remember taking my dad to the hospital who was falling off the chair in pain and all they did was change him into a hospital gown and left him alone for hours until he went into a coma from pain. These things are unforgivable!

March 31, 2011 | 6:56 pm

This happens far too often to people. I am writing to the hospital for sure!

17. Ashleigh
    April 1, 2011 | 8:53 am

The Canadian health care system IS NOT that bad, essentially based on this one person’s embellished visit of what is probably a really bad hospital. I’m Canadian and do amazingly well hospitals. No one ever is stripped down in hallways, it’s an invasion of privacy and could contribute to a patient-hospital lawsuit.

18. Ashleigh
    April 4, 2011 | 4:13 pm

I take it back. I just heard a horrifying story about Cobourg Maternity.

April 5, 2011 | 9:55 am

Thank you Ashleigh, for coming back and letting me know that you have have heard of experiences that are not favourable.
      I wish that it wasn’t this way and I understand that not everyone has the same experience I did, but many do.
      Its too bad.

19. mysoulforsale
    April 5, 2011 | 7:49 pm

Oh you poor thing! This sounds just awful, and I’m so sorry that you had to endure incompetence in the medical system on top of your pain and suffering!

How are you doing now?