Mufflers, Boots, and Love.

We had only just met a few weeks prior, but suddenly I was head over heals. My nights were spent talking until the early morning hours and my days were spent day dreaming.

His 1992 Honda Accord would barely make the 2 hour drive to my house each weekend and by the time it did my butterflies were dancing wildly. The rumble of the deafening muffler coming closer would make my palms start to sweat and my heart beat faster.

He found my country girl attitude amusing and I found his city boy mentality charming.

Dinner’s out were romantic. We would stare at each other across the table and hold hands, whisper, and make plans. Servers would call us cute. No one had ever held my hand on top of a table at a restaurant before, or swept my hair off of my cheek while we waited for our drinks. No one had ever kept their eyes locked on mine when the server came back to ask if we needed anything else.

I could feel my heart swelling.

Music played in the background as we drove around aimlessly, happy to be together even if it was only for a few days. My hands would glide across the steering wheel nervously as I spoke, giggling at his stories.

My heart filled, the music got louder, and I was certain it would burst,

I wish I could say I heard angels singing and that my hair was floating in a heavenly glow.

But I can’t because then I would be a liar.

I watched my love’s face change, a look coming over him I’d never seen before. He asked me to pull the car over and tucked my hair behind my ear.

I bopped

Boots with the Fur

He stared at me.

I continued my rhythmic bopping to what is now “our” song.

He leaned in and kissed me.

She had them apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur..

And I was in love!

Leighann

38 Responses to Mufflers, Boots, and Love.
  1. Amy a/k/a HonestConvoGal
    April 5, 2011 | 10:52 am

AW. I want to fall in love again. I mean I still love my husband, but I want to FALL in love again. This was great. I like the work in of the song. And never lie on your blog. That defeats the whole point. ; )

April 6, 2011 | 8:30 pm

I know what you mean.
      Falling in love is wonderful.
      It’s butterflies and sleepless nights.
      It’s daydreaming and spinning circles.
      ahhhh love.

2. Amy
    April 5, 2011 | 11:39 am

HAHAHAHA!! That’s hilarious!!!! What a romantic song 😉

3. liz
    April 5, 2011 | 12:08 pm

I wish relationships could forever be in that perfect schmoopie phase! Damn, that real life getting in the way!

April 6, 2011 | 8:28 pm

its true. Real life does change a lot but he’s still my love and still looks at me with that same look.

4. tracy
    April 5, 2011 | 1:15 pm

Oh I love this. So sweet that early love. Boo that things change. Well done!

April 6, 2011 | 8:27 pm

New love is sooo wonderful.
      However, I enjoy the comfort that companionship brings too.

5. MamaTrack
    April 5, 2011 | 2:13 pm

I love the thrill of young love. You did a great job capturing it–I really liked the part about how the muffler made you nervous. And of course, I laughed at the end.

Great job bringing me on this journey with you!

April 6, 2011 | 8:27 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
      That damn muffler!! What a pain.

6. Jenn
    April 5, 2011 | 4:02 pm

Wow, that makes me feel really, really old. That song came out after I’d been married with children for YEARS!
    My oldness aside, that was a great post! I liked the way you worked the song in, I kept wondering as I was reading the post what made you remember this!

7. Jennifer Dillon
    April 5, 2011 | 4:08 pm

I can’t tell you how much I love that this is your song with your love. Yours is the first post where I’ve actually had to listen to the music to make sure that I wasn’t getting it wrong.

8. Kris
    April 5, 2011 | 4:20 pm

This is so sweet! You had us right there with you. Love it.

9. kir
    April 5, 2011 | 4:24 pm

Oh I love a good love story, one filled with all the ‘angels’ singing. I loved the way we heard that song with you..watching u fall in love. What a great memory.

April 6, 2011 | 8:24 pm

It was so fun to write because I was able to re-live a wonderful time in our lives.
      Care free, in love, butterflies, etc.
      Thank you for your lovely comment.

10. Frelle
    April 5, 2011 | 4:45 pm

LOVE the sweet innocence paired with the apple bottom jeans song. 😀

April 6, 2011 | 8:23 pm

Thank you.
      I love that you said sweet innocence.
      I am sweetly innocent!

11. Jack
    April 5, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I had no idea what song that was- but it is kind of fun.

12. Galit Breen
    April 5, 2011 | 5:28 pm

Oh Leighann, this was just so very sigh-worthy romantic!

You captured the excitement and fun of that beginning beautifully!

I love this part: “Servers would call us cute. No one had ever held my hand on top of a table at a restaurant before, or swept my hair off of my cheek while we waited for our drinks. No one had ever kept their eyes locked on mine when the server came back to ask if we needed anything else.”

Again: A big ‘ol *sigh!*

April 6, 2011 | 8:22 pm

What a lucky girl I am.
      I caught the eye of a fantastic man.

April 5, 2011 | 6:02 pm

Bwhahahahah!!! That is the best romantic song ever!

April 6, 2011 | 8:21 pm

LOL.
      I think so too.
      I think about it every time I wear my winter boots.
      My boots with the FUR

14. MamaRobinJ
    April 5, 2011 | 6:33 pm

This is just all things cute. I loved the same paragraph Galit noted – I can totally feel how you felt. Love the muffler bit too.

15. Melissa
    April 5, 2011 | 7:13 pm

How completely sweet! I hope you stay as in love as you were at that moment!

16. Carina
    April 5, 2011 | 7:58 pm

Isn’t it great when things just click and you know they’re right? A great time-travel back into the falling in love phase.

Love your blog.

April 6, 2011 | 8:19 pm

Thank you for loving my blog.
      I loved writing this and reading your lovely comment

17. Julie
    April 5, 2011 | 10:57 pm

This was so sweet! My only concrit is that I thought the muffler noise was the sound you were using, and then later you brought in the music. It might’ve tied the post together a little more if you had focused more on one.

That said, you painted a lovely picture. You really captured that new-love feeling!

TRDC

April 6, 2011 | 8:19 pm

I can see now how that would be confusing. I didn’t even think of that when I was writing.

18. Erin
    April 6, 2011 | 1:58 am

That is a great memory, I just love hearing about everyone falling in love, makes me do it over and over with each post!

April 6, 2011 | 8:18 pm

I love that feeling of “new love”
      Writing this brought that back for me

19. Andrea
    April 6, 2011 | 4:38 pm

So sweet. I started reading and totally forgot about the prompt. I just thought, oh, she’s sharing a personal story today! What a beautiful memory. I agree with Amy, I would love to fall in love again. It was such an incredible experience.

I have two grammatical tweaks to offer.

Head over heels.

And drop the apostrophe in dinners — “Dinner’s out were romantic.”

I loved this post. Thanks for sharing. With my wedding anniversary coming up I kind of want to reminisce a bit myself!

April 6, 2011 | 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for the concrit!
      Glad that you enjoyed the post… hope you write about your anniversary!

20. Kelly
    April 6, 2011 | 11:13 pm

You swept me along with your dinner- sorry to be a third wheel! 🙂

And I love the twist of Apple Bottom Jeans….unexpected and fun!

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/04/05/mufflers-boots-and-love/trackback/

Mufflers, Boots, and Love.

I could feel my heart swelling.

My heart filled, the music got louder, and I was certain it would burst,

But I can’t because then I would be a liar.

I bopped

Boots with the Fur

He stared at me.

I continued my rhythmic bopping to what is now “our” song.

He leaned in and kissed me.

She had them apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur..

And I was in love!

Leighann

38 Responses to Mufflers, Boots, and Love.
  1. Amy a/k/a HonestConvoGal
    April 5, 2011 | 10:52 am

April 6, 2011 | 8:30 pm

I know what you mean.
      Falling in love is wonderful.
      It’s butterflies and sleepless nights.
      It’s daydreaming and spinning circles.
      ahhhh love.

2. Amy
    April 5, 2011 | 11:39 am

HAHAHAHA!! That’s hilarious!!!! What a romantic song 😉

3. liz
    April 5, 2011 | 12:08 pm

April 6, 2011 | 8:28 pm

4. tracy
    April 5, 2011 | 1:15 pm

Oh I love this. So sweet that early love. Boo that things change. Well done!

April 6, 2011 | 8:27 pm

New love is sooo wonderful.
      However, I enjoy the comfort that companionship brings too.

5. MamaTrack
    April 5, 2011 | 2:13 pm

Great job bringing me on this journey with you!

April 6, 2011 | 8:27 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
      That damn muffler!! What a pain.

6. Jenn
    April 5, 2011 | 4:02 pm

7. Jennifer Dillon
    April 5, 2011 | 4:08 pm

8. Kris
    April 5, 2011 | 4:20 pm

This is so sweet! You had us right there with you. Love it.

9. kir
    April 5, 2011 | 4:24 pm

April 6, 2011 | 8:24 pm

Care free, in love, butterflies, etc.
      Thank you for your lovely comment.

10. Frelle
    April 5, 2011 | 4:45 pm

LOVE the sweet innocence paired with the apple bottom jeans song. 😀

April 6, 2011 | 8:23 pm

Thank you.
      I love that you said sweet innocence.
      I am sweetly innocent!

11. Jack
    April 5, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I had no idea what song that was- but it is kind of fun.

12. Galit Breen
    April 5, 2011 | 5:28 pm

Oh Leighann, this was just so very sigh-worthy romantic!

You captured the excitement and fun of that beginning beautifully!

Again: A big ‘ol *sigh!*

April 6, 2011 | 8:22 pm

What a lucky girl I am.
      I caught the eye of a fantastic man.

April 5, 2011 | 6:02 pm

Bwhahahahah!!! That is the best romantic song ever!

April 6, 2011 | 8:21 pm

LOL.
      I think so too.
      I think about it every time I wear my winter boots.
      My boots with the FUR

14. MamaRobinJ
    April 5, 2011 | 6:33 pm

15. Melissa
    April 5, 2011 | 7:13 pm

How completely sweet! I hope you stay as in love as you were at that moment!

16. Carina
    April 5, 2011 | 7:58 pm

Love your blog.

April 6, 2011 | 8:19 pm

Thank you for loving my blog.
      I loved writing this and reading your lovely comment

17. Julie
    April 5, 2011 | 10:57 pm

TRDC

April 6, 2011 | 8:19 pm

18. Erin
    April 6, 2011 | 1:58 am

April 6, 2011 | 8:18 pm

I love that feeling of “new love”
      Writing this brought that back for me

19. Andrea
    April 6, 2011 | 4:38 pm

I have two grammatical tweaks to offer.

Head over heels.

And drop the apostrophe in dinners — “Dinner’s out were romantic.”

April 6, 2011 | 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for the concrit!
      Glad that you enjoyed the post… hope you write about your anniversary!

20. Kelly
    April 6, 2011 | 11:13 pm

You swept me along with your dinner- sorry to be a third wheel! 🙂

And I love the twist of Apple Bottom Jeans….unexpected and fun!