One Photograph

While cleaning out boxes I found a photograph.

Its corners curled inward and yellowed from years of fingers rolling over it, smoothing it down, and bringing it close to get a better look.

A bucket sits beside the back wheel of an old beige car, brimming with foamy suds, promising a wash as a little girl in a bathing suit winds her fingers around the nozzle of a twisted green hose, gleefully pointing it at her victim.

So many happy memories.

From one photograph.

Memories between father and daughter.

My father.

His daughter.

Leighann

Special thanks to Leigh Ann Torres who helped me edit this post.

37 Responses to One Photograph
  1. Elena
    April 11, 2011 | 7:52 am

I love this. Very short and sweet. You told us about a great memory in just a few lines. Good job with the prompt!

2. blueviolet
    April 11, 2011 | 1:13 pm

Beautiful!!! Now it’s captured by photo and in words!

3. MamaTrack
    April 11, 2011 | 1:23 pm

I love it! I’m inspired to do the prompt myself now.

I love how you captured the spirit of childhood.

And the modern you, finding the photograph, added such a reflective touch.

4. Carina
    April 11, 2011 | 8:01 pm

A great post. It took me back to a few of my own memories of car washing. You have a way of capturing just the right details and you never say too much.

Another wonderful post.

April 12, 2011 | 7:41 pm

This is what i try to do.
      Say what I want, but in as little words as possible.

5. Leigh Ann (The Twin Spin)
    April 12, 2011 | 12:46 am

It turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful memory.

6. BalancingMama (Julie)
    April 12, 2011 | 7:03 am

Short and very sweet – great post! I especially like the description of the old photograph with curled corners. I could really see it.

April 12, 2011 | 7:41 pm

I’m so glad the description jumped out at you like it does me.

7. Galit Breen
    April 12, 2011 | 7:57 am

This read like poetry and really shined a light on your relationship with your dad!

My favorite part: “The colours have dulled over time but the smiles of the people inside its border remain alive, glowing in the sunlight.” The words are strong, and the images vivid.

Lovely!

April 12, 2011 | 7:40 pm

I love your writing so much Galit.
      I’m flattered that you enjoy mine.
      Thank you!

8. Pua
    April 12, 2011 | 8:06 am

“The photograph springs to life as the water sprays down on a man who is also laughing, relishing in this time spent with the girl, happy to be dancing in memories made in the chore of washing a dirty car.”

This is such a great sentence. It shows how simple it is to take mundane tasks and turn it into something wonderful.

9. Kris
    April 12, 2011 | 9:27 am

This was great. From the way you described the actual photo to the people in it we could feel how much it meant to you. Loved it.

10. Amy
    April 12, 2011 | 10:23 am

You always amaze me at how you can convey so much in such a short piece. I just want to read it over and over. Just lovely.

11. Melanie
    April 12, 2011 | 11:20 am

Love how the photograph springs to life because when it did in the moment, I was in it, watching the little girl in the bathing suit spray water on her father. Such efficient writing – concise and so sweet.

This is a lovely piece.

Oh, and”…the corners of the photograph curved inward and yellowing from years of fingers rolling it…” – what a great detail that adds such poignancy to your piece. I mean, don’t we all have those photos?

April 12, 2011 | 7:37 pm

Thank you so much Melanie.
      I’m so glad that the post jumped out at you like that.

12. Jack
    April 12, 2011 | 12:32 pm

Memories between father and daughter.

My father.

His daughter.

This is the sort of thing that I hope my daughter writes one day.

13. tracy
    April 12, 2011 | 2:32 pm

How absolutely beautiful and simple. xo

14. Elaine
    April 12, 2011 | 3:10 pm

I love the memories that “old” photos bring. maybe that’s why I take so many now… 🙂

What a lovely piece.

April 12, 2011 | 7:34 pm

Thanks Elaine!
      Loved your piece.
      I also take a lot of photos. I love looking back at them and remembering what I was feeling at that moment.

15. Mom
    April 12, 2011 | 3:57 pm

Your memory brings tears of joy to my eyes and love to my heart.

16. Tiffany
    April 12, 2011 | 10:05 pm

You are so talented. You were able to express a flood of emotions in a short story. Great post!

17. Mandyland
    April 12, 2011 | 10:53 pm

Brilliant! It was so short but said so much. I could see the picture. LOVED it.

18. Angie @ The Little Mumma
    April 13, 2011 | 8:12 am

This was gorgeous.

What you have done in so few words, the feeling that you’ve evoked within those words, is so clever.

The last three lines are lump in the throat stuff.

And I love that your mom comments! Mine does, too.

19. Frelle
    April 13, 2011 | 8:25 am

what a sweet description and a tribute to the bond you have with him!

20. MamaRobinJ
    April 13, 2011 | 12:50 pm

This was perfect, L. Really vivid and descriptive in so few words. Perfectly lovely.

21. Kir
    April 13, 2011 | 2:48 pm

every word was perfect, exactly where it needed to and it painted such a perfect picture of that little girl spraying her daddy.

Loved this.

22. tulpen
    April 13, 2011 | 8:27 pm

Sweet capture. A moment brought neatly to life.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/04/11/one-photograph/trackback/

One Photograph

While cleaning out boxes I found a photograph.

So many happy memories.

From one photograph.

Memories between father and daughter.

My father.

His daughter.

Leighann

Special thanks to Leigh Ann Torres who helped me edit this post.

37 Responses to One Photograph
  1. Elena
    April 11, 2011 | 7:52 am

2. blueviolet
    April 11, 2011 | 1:13 pm

Beautiful!!! Now it’s captured by photo and in words!

3. MamaTrack
    April 11, 2011 | 1:23 pm

I love it! I’m inspired to do the prompt myself now.

I love how you captured the spirit of childhood.

And the modern you, finding the photograph, added such a reflective touch.

4. Carina
    April 11, 2011 | 8:01 pm

Another wonderful post.

April 12, 2011 | 7:41 pm

This is what i try to do.
      Say what I want, but in as little words as possible.

5. Leigh Ann (The Twin Spin)
    April 12, 2011 | 12:46 am

It turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful memory.

6. BalancingMama (Julie)
    April 12, 2011 | 7:03 am

April 12, 2011 | 7:41 pm

I’m so glad the description jumped out at you like it does me.

7. Galit Breen
    April 12, 2011 | 7:57 am

Lovely!

April 12, 2011 | 7:40 pm

I love your writing so much Galit.
      I’m flattered that you enjoy mine.
      Thank you!

8. Pua
    April 12, 2011 | 8:06 am

9. Kris
    April 12, 2011 | 9:27 am

10. Amy
    April 12, 2011 | 10:23 am

11. Melanie
    April 12, 2011 | 11:20 am

This is a lovely piece.

April 12, 2011 | 7:37 pm

Thank you so much Melanie.
      I’m so glad that the post jumped out at you like that.

12. Jack
    April 12, 2011 | 12:32 pm

Memories between father and daughter.

My father.

His daughter.

This is the sort of thing that I hope my daughter writes one day.

13. tracy
    April 12, 2011 | 2:32 pm

How absolutely beautiful and simple. xo

14. Elaine
    April 12, 2011 | 3:10 pm

What a lovely piece.

April 12, 2011 | 7:34 pm

Thanks Elaine!
      Loved your piece.

15. Mom
    April 12, 2011 | 3:57 pm

Your memory brings tears of joy to my eyes and love to my heart.

16. Tiffany
    April 12, 2011 | 10:05 pm

17. Mandyland
    April 12, 2011 | 10:53 pm

Brilliant! It was so short but said so much. I could see the picture. LOVED it.

18. Angie @ The Little Mumma
    April 13, 2011 | 8:12 am

This was gorgeous.

The last three lines are lump in the throat stuff.

And I love that your mom comments! Mine does, too.

19. Frelle
    April 13, 2011 | 8:25 am

what a sweet description and a tribute to the bond you have with him!

20. MamaRobinJ
    April 13, 2011 | 12:50 pm

21. Kir
    April 13, 2011 | 2:48 pm

Loved this.

22. tulpen
    April 13, 2011 | 8:27 pm

Sweet capture. A moment brought neatly to life.