To Be Funny

I started out wanting to be a funny blogger.

Wanting to be a positive energy through humour for someone else.  Just as funny blogs are for me.

I’m a funny person.

On the outside.

Inside my anxiety rolls around fighting with my courage, it dares me to step outside my comfort zone, to get out of bed, to engage in conversation.

If I listened to my anxiety I would easily slip back into bed, close my eyes and feel the weight of my warm blanket encase me. I would stay there all day talking to no one. I would lose myself.

Luckily, with support, I listen to my courage. It tells me to get up, to communicate, and to ask for help. It tells me to open the curtains and let the sun shine on my face. It tells me to fight.

It’s not easy.

Anxiety is strong and tempting.

But I’m a fighter.

Leighann

• No Related Posts
22 Responses to To Be Funny
  1. Shell
    April 15, 2011 | 2:31 pm

I’m glad you are a fighter. 🙂

2. CJ
    April 15, 2011 | 4:07 pm

I am also a funny person. On the outside. I’m sure it’s there on the inside was well, but it has to fight through all of the scar tissue that has made me who I am, and sometimes? It doesn’t quite make it. Good on you for fighting. I support you in that!

April 16, 2011 | 6:15 pm

That’s beautiful.
      Perhaps that’s why I love your writing so much.
      It IS what’s made us who we are.
      Thank you Jayne.

3. Amy
    April 15, 2011 | 5:11 pm

I feel the same way most of the time. I use a lot of humor to shield myself from actually having to show real feelings.

On a lighter note 🙂 I know you have already received the Stylish Blogger Award but I am nominating you again because I love your blog.

I always enjoy and can relate to your writing, so thanks for writing!

April 16, 2011 | 6:13 pm

I’m so flattered you think so highly of my writing!
      thank you so much Amy.
      Sigh.

4. Mom
    April 15, 2011 | 7:06 pm

I Thank God you are a fighter. Love ‘ya.

April 15, 2011 | 8:48 pm

Keep fighting! It’s not always easy to write the serious stuff but it is good to get it out and get support.

April 16, 2011 | 6:12 pm

It really isn’t always easy, you’re right.
      But there’s a lot of it in there and I have to get it out.

6. Leigh Ann (The Twin Spin)
    April 15, 2011 | 9:15 pm

Sometimes we can surprise ourselves when we think we’re going to write one thing and it comes out something else. You ARE funny and you definitely are a fighter.

April 16, 2011 | 6:12 pm

And you are a wonderful friend.
      Thank you for your support and your humour.
      You’re the bomb.

7. Carina
    April 15, 2011 | 10:05 pm

You lead by example. Reading posts like this helps me get out of bed in the morning.

Keep up the good fight.

April 16, 2011 | 6:11 pm

We all have support each other!
      Thank you for reading and your wonderful comments!!

8. MamaRobinJ
    April 16, 2011 | 12:02 am

Damn right you are. I see that beautiful personality – love, humour, fight. It shines through. Just keep going.

April 16, 2011 | 1:22 pm

What a brave post Leighann, I would never have thought you had anxiety, you have such a great personality that comes through your words. I struggle with anxiety too and I guess you just never know who else is fighting the same fight.
    So glad you get out of bed each day and talk to all of us!!

April 16, 2011 | 6:10 pm

since I was officially diagnosed with anxiety disorder and then PPD I now look at people a lot differently.
      we never know what someone is hiding, or dealing with, or trying to over come.
      Thank you for reading Jessica.

10. MamaTrack
    April 16, 2011 | 4:03 pm

I love how honest this is. I’m glad you shared it with us.

April 17, 2011 | 1:22 pm

Life isn’t always positive my friend. You know this and I know this. If writing out your pain helps you heal then do that. Know how many people that you are helping and inspiring by writing about your struggles? Tons. Your story is a beacon of light to so many woman walking in the same shoes you are. Keep writting.
    The more you write, the more women you will help and the more woman like myself will outstretch their hands to help pick you up.
    We’re stronger in numbers my friend.
    I love your blog because it’s honest and raw. It’s a reflection of you and that is what blogging is supposed to be about right?
    The funny will come. I promise you.
    I love you for fighting. ANd I love you even more for your strength to reach out and talk about your struggles. Don’t ever EVER change that.
    xoxoxo

12. Ironic Mom
    April 17, 2011 | 5:19 pm

I have battled the anxiety demon a few times, most recently last Spring. As a humour blogger, I know humour is both a luxury (of feeling good) and a near-impossible necessity (when you’re not at peace).

If you want to chat to someone who’s been there, email me at ironicmom at gmail dot com.

Sending you moments of peace and the mantra, “This too shall pass.” Because it will.