Reality of Growing up

When I was in high school I took a careers test.

It consisted of several questions in order to gain an understanding of who I was, where my interests lie, and what career path I might follow.

In high school I had no idea.

It told me I would be a janitor.

This news didn’t shake me up, it didn’t weigh heavily on my shoulders, and I didn’t feel promised to that job.

I expected I would graduate, go to college, find a job, work.

I would fall in love, get married, buy a house, have babies, and live happily ever after.

That was the natural order that was promoted by our guidance counsellors and our families.

There weren’t classes on reality.

Discussions regarding the astronomical cost of schooling, housing, food, and books for college.

The enormous stress we might feel as students in a new city.

The drop out rate.

How many jobs we would have to work at once in order to barely get by.

Late nights, stupid decisions, broken hearts, lost friendships, mistakes.

Babies before marriage.

The bills.

The bills.

Our relationships and the importance of communication.

Love.

Had I attended these classes it might have made me more aware and prepared me, but life would have still continued.

That is the natural order.

Leighann

17 Responses to Reality of Growing up
  1. Amy
    April 21, 2011 | 9:27 am

This is so very true. I dropped out of college and probably wouldn’t have ever went had I not thought I had to.

Some of the life lessons are the best ones!

April 22, 2011 | 8:46 pm

I dropped out the first time I went.
      I was terrified to tell my parents I didn’t want to stay.
      But they understood. I should have known they would.
      I went to a college in my community and graduated and was much happier.
      Self taught lessons and mistakes are definitely the best.

2. Sarah
    April 21, 2011 | 1:40 pm

The only practical class I took was Economics… and it was practical because we had no textbook and our teacher (a 60 yr old guy) talked about stuff that mattered. How much of our income (percentage-wise) we should spend on housing, food, vehicles, health insurance, and credit cards (and how credit cards actually work.) That was the ONLY class I’ve ever referred back to. It’s how we figured out how much of a house we could afford… we didn’t both to look at anything we weren’t absolutely sure we could keep within the 20-30% of our income range.
    I took that “what job should you have” test too… it told me to be a forest ranger or a microbiologist. Clearly, as a SAHM… I’m totally BOTH!

April 22, 2011 | 8:45 pm

WOW.
      Your results were awesome!
      and, yes, obviously you ARE both!
      jealous!!!!

3. Andrea
    April 21, 2011 | 3:06 pm

Great post. It’s so true. It’s so scary what ISN’T taught to us as kids, so much we have to learn on our own. I can’t tell you the number of books I have read to figure out what was most important in my life and mind when it comes to work. And how much I already knew!

April 22, 2011 | 8:44 pm

Oh the purpose of life books.
      I have many.
      I stopped reading after I had my daughter.
      She is my purpose.

4. Ironic Mom
    April 21, 2011 | 4:58 pm

Great post. I sometimes think these things shouldn’t me taught, though. (a) Teachers have enough to teach already, and (b) Children lose the innocence of childhood so quickly anyway.

Having said that, when I taught Grade 12, I had fun giving them university prep advice, such as “Go see visiting speakers. Go. If you want to go to the pub, go after. You’ll be far more interesting anyway if you’ve heard someone intelligent speak.” Not exactly how-to-pay your bills, though, is it?

Anyway, thanks for letting me babble on . I like your writing style.

Leanne

April 22, 2011 | 8:43 pm

Teachers already have so much on their shoulders, you’re so right.
      My parents did prepare me, or try.
      But at 18 do you think I was listening to them? LOL

5. Carina
    April 21, 2011 | 10:45 pm

That test told me that I would be a lawyer… though that might have once been appealing, that’s not the direction I’d want to go in at all.

I’m young, newly married, just starting out and hoping for the best. I can’t explain how many times “what I want to do” has changed already. How can it be that a test I took in high school could tell me what I’d do at almost any point in life? Predict what skills I might naturally have and be developing? Maybe. Predict the future? Not likely.

April 22, 2011 | 8:43 pm

My direction in life changed so many times after I graduated college that I couldn’t have predicted it.
      I’m so glad it did though.

6. FranceRants
    April 22, 2011 | 12:01 am

Here’s the real kicker, as soon as you think you are finally prepared, life turns your world upside down and you are unprepared again.

So enjoy what you have while you have it (and that cute baby!!)

April 22, 2011 | 8:42 pm

FRANCE!
      i’m frightened now.
      What else is going to happen?

April 22, 2011 | 10:39 am

If we only “really” knew then…

8. Klz
    April 22, 2011 | 11:57 am

And yet they teach us what an amoeba is. Super helpful.

9. CJ
    April 25, 2011 | 6:00 pm

Such a thoughtful post and SO TRUE.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/04/21/reality-of-growing-up/trackback/

Reality of Growing up

When I was in high school I took a careers test.

In high school I had no idea.

It told me I would be a janitor.

I expected I would graduate, go to college, find a job, work.

There weren’t classes on reality.

The enormous stress we might feel as students in a new city.

The drop out rate.

How many jobs we would have to work at once in order to barely get by.

Late nights, stupid decisions, broken hearts, lost friendships, mistakes.

Babies before marriage.

The bills.

The bills.

Our relationships and the importance of communication.

Love.

That is the natural order.

Leighann

17 Responses to Reality of Growing up
  1. Amy
    April 21, 2011 | 9:27 am

Some of the life lessons are the best ones!

April 22, 2011 | 8:46 pm

I dropped out the first time I went.
      I was terrified to tell my parents I didn’t want to stay.
      But they understood. I should have known they would.
      I went to a college in my community and graduated and was much happier.
      Self taught lessons and mistakes are definitely the best.

2. Sarah
    April 21, 2011 | 1:40 pm

April 22, 2011 | 8:45 pm

WOW.
      Your results were awesome!
      and, yes, obviously you ARE both!
      jealous!!!!

3. Andrea
    April 21, 2011 | 3:06 pm

April 22, 2011 | 8:44 pm

Oh the purpose of life books.
      I have many.
      I stopped reading after I had my daughter.
      She is my purpose.

4. Ironic Mom
    April 21, 2011 | 4:58 pm

Anyway, thanks for letting me babble on . I like your writing style.

Leanne

April 22, 2011 | 8:43 pm

Teachers already have so much on their shoulders, you’re so right.
      My parents did prepare me, or try.
      But at 18 do you think I was listening to them? LOL

5. Carina
    April 21, 2011 | 10:45 pm

April 22, 2011 | 8:43 pm

I’m so glad it did though.

6. FranceRants
    April 22, 2011 | 12:01 am

So enjoy what you have while you have it (and that cute baby!!)

April 22, 2011 | 8:42 pm

FRANCE!
      i’m frightened now.
      What else is going to happen?

April 22, 2011 | 10:39 am

If we only “really” knew then…

8. Klz
    April 22, 2011 | 11:57 am

And yet they teach us what an amoeba is. Super helpful.

9. CJ
    April 25, 2011 | 6:00 pm

Such a thoughtful post and SO TRUE.