Things I’ve Learned This Week…and It’s Only Tuesday!

1. The stomach flu travels fast within a household and just because you’re the mom doesn’t mean you’re immune, it just means you will have to factor frequent bathroom visits into your day.

2. When daddy has the stomach flu the world stops. Clear the house, but not before setting him up with warm blankets, snacks, drinks, a bucket, cell phone, and movies. While out prepare a band, a buffet, some singing children, cards, flowers, and all your love to take back with you. Then, clean up his mess.

3. Severe stomach pains are no reason to go to the hospital. You are the mom. The house depends on you to be its rock, its centre. Any signs of a break and those orbiting around you begin to get twitchy. If you insist on going because those pains are so intense you think your insides might have exploded, beware. Until the results are in you will still be met with hesitant moans.

4. A diagnosis from a doctor does not mean you get to rest. It’s only a piece of paper and a wish.

5. Stay as long as possible in the hospital (and on morphine) as humanly possible. Cry if you have to.

6. A mom’s definition of cleaning up after dinner, and a dad’s, are so completely different that there isn’t even a point in arguing about it. Just walk away and be grateful that someone hasn’t choked on a wayward turkey bone.

7. When a mom believes a baby is sick a daddy should never question her. Why? Because a mom created that little baby inside her. She made that miracle that is their child. She has a divine connection to that little girl that he can try to understand but only would if he swallowed a watermelon whole and then squeezed it out his manhood. Even then the emotional connection would not be there. Who gets emotionally attached to a watermelon?
Point being, the baby is sick and mumma knew.

8. Daddy’s are frustrating. But when baby’s are sick and mumma’s are tired they tend to surprise by scooping up that little girl and dancing slow rhythmic circles around the living room.  His little baby in his arms and pure love in his eyes.

Sigh.

Leighann

16 Responses to Things I’ve Learned This Week…and It’s Only Tuesday!
  1. Amy
    April 26, 2011 | 7:46 am

i am glad you have learned these valuable lessons. These are something that should come in the handbook.

Glad you are feeling better (hopefully)!!!

2. Mad Woman behind the Blog
    April 26, 2011 | 8:32 am

LOVE! Aren’t those Daddy/Daughter moments so delicious? Almost makes up for the counters not being wiped down, the whining about fever only 1 degree above normal and the general uselessness of Daddy’s.
    Almost.

I’m glad to read you’re feeling better. (GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!)

3. NorthShoreMommy
    April 26, 2011 | 1:32 pm

Ok, I feel SO badly that you’ve been through all of this, but I couldn’t help but laugh at your commentary! You poor thing! I completely relate to the first part about sick husbands — they’re the worst! So dramatic!

I hope you’re all feeling better now, and I’m glad you were able to keep a good attitude about everything. Hang in there!

4. Leanne Shirtliffe (Ironic Mom)
    April 26, 2011 | 1:36 pm

I know this.

Last Spring, I had pneumonia. I didn’t miss a swimming lesson with the kids and still managed to pack lunches. I was nearly hospitalized and required two rounds of heavy duty antibiotics.

I learned I do too much.

Things changed.

Thankfully.

I hope you feel all better soon and that there are moments of peace and health in your household!

April 27, 2011 | 10:05 pm

Isn’t it interesting how this happens.
      BUT!
      Why don’t we have that shirt washed?
      Where are the clean forks?
      Where did you put the keys?
      We don’t do enough.

5. Carina
    April 26, 2011 | 7:33 pm

It sounds like you’ve had quite a week already. Get rest, get fluids, get better!

6. Elena
    April 26, 2011 | 8:13 pm

You hit the nail on the head, lady! #6 – OEMGEEE! Totally my husband. Hope you are on the road to recovery. 😉

April 27, 2011 | 9:59 pm

and there’s not even a point in fighting about it cause they think they did a really great job!
      I can’t stand a messy kitchen, it drives me nuts!

7. Jackie
    April 27, 2011 | 8:26 am

That is a a lot to learn in a week but man is it ever true!

It’s amazing how we carry one when we’re sick but as soon as the dads get sick it’s the end of the world!

Hang in there!

April 27, 2011 | 9:53 pm

Thanks, it feels like this cold has been going through here forever.
      I hope soon we’ll all be feeling better.
      Once Spring is really here maybe.

8. c3images
    April 27, 2011 | 10:06 am

so true… so so so so true LOL

April 27, 2011 | 9:49 pm

you have A LOT more men in your life than I do.
      The hubs and then 3 boys.
      YIKES!!

9. MamaRobinJ
    April 27, 2011 | 2:47 pm

I’m not at all surprised you could find the funny in this situation. Too true. But loved how you ended it. So sweet!

April 27, 2011 | 9:48 pm

He is a sweetie.
      Although after I scheduled this to post he turned back into a sicky and needed help to do everything.
      Good thing I wasn’t a nurse.

10. MamaTrack
    April 27, 2011 | 2:54 pm

I love this! But I’m so sorry you were sick. Glad you’re on the mend!