To You Mom…(and then to Dad too)

When I was in 6th grade my mom gave me a card. A simple blue card with a picture of flowers on the front.  The purpose was to comfort me, to encourage me to stay strong, to give me courage.

Because I was being bullied.

Cards and notes like this one would show up on my dresser periodically throughout the rest of my childhood. Folded words purposely placed to tell me she was proud, that I was loved, that she was listening.

Put there to help me cope.

Recently I found my box of cards.

The memories danced off of them as I ran my hands over their surfaces and across the curved lines of my mom’s smooth writing. Her words placed with intention and with love.

At the bottom of the pile was the blue card.

The one my mom had given me in grade 6.

Its edges weak and tattered, corners worn, and ink faded.

Taped to the back was a note.

“Be yourself and your friends will love you. We love you.”

Words to live by.

————————————————————————————————————————————–

Happy Mothers Day Mom I love you more than I have words. Thank you.

And Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad – Today! Thank you for raising me the way you did, for teaching me to have morals, determination, integrity, and to stand up for myself and what I believe (in).

You gave me life, what a gift. Xo

Let's BEE Friends

Leighann

21 Responses to To You Mom…(and then to Dad too)
  1. Amy
    May 5, 2011 | 7:53 am

It’s so nice that you kept those! What a great reminder of how wonderful your mom (and dad)!

May 7, 2011 | 3:17 pm

They are both fantastic.
      I lucked out in the parent department.
      Now I just have to figure out how to be that for MY daughter.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    May 5, 2011 | 10:11 am

Your Mom sounds awesome. Lucky you. 🙂

3. Mom
    May 5, 2011 | 4:20 pm

You bring tears to my eyes. My heart swells with gratitude as I count my blessings. We were there to love you the best way we could, even during the more “trying” times. And we could not be any more proud, each time we read your blog. Thanks for the anniversary wishes. Love ‘ya honey.

May 7, 2011 | 3:17 pm

I love you too mom.
      thank you from the bottom of my heart.

4. Carina
    May 5, 2011 | 7:40 pm

Beautifully written. My mother’s birthday is coming up, so I’ve been thinking about all of those things she’s done for me lately. Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories.

5. Nic
    May 5, 2011 | 11:14 pm

Perfectly written!!!! What a great tool (cards and notes) to use with your child to teach so much!! What a great lesson for us all!!!
    Happy Anniversary to your Mom & Dad!!!!

May 7, 2011 | 3:16 pm

Thanks Nic!
      I don’t have to tell you about my love for cards and notes. xo

6. MamaRobinJ
    May 6, 2011 | 1:02 am

She sounds like my mom 🙂 What a wonderful thing to have done, and for you to have kept.

And happy anniversary to them!

May 7, 2011 | 3:15 pm

She’s still gives me cards all the time and I’m a huge card giver too now. LOL

May 6, 2011 | 2:09 am

So so sweet.

8. Bruna
    May 7, 2011 | 11:43 am

What a sweet Mother. I’m sure it pained her to know you were being bullied by kids at school. I can’t even imagine how I would feel if that was happening to my own kids. Your Mom’s words resonate within me … she was so right. We shouldn’t have to change so people like us.

You have a great Mom.

May 7, 2011 | 3:15 pm

I think about what I will do if my daughter (and future child(ren)) are bullied. I’m not sure at this point and times are a lot different now.
      Thank you, I do have a great mom!

9. Elena
    May 7, 2011 | 12:51 pm

That is so precious! Brought a little tear to my eye. What a great mom. Happy Mother’s Day to you both. 🙂

10. Dana K
    May 7, 2011 | 4:49 pm

That’s really sweet…and sweet that you saved them all this time. What a good mama (and daughter!).

11. Caitlin's Concepts
    May 7, 2011 | 10:26 pm

How beautiful that you and your parents have this sort of relationship. I could have based an envy post off it! ;D

I really hope that I do better by my own kids so that someday they’ll feel this way about how I raised them.. but they’re boys, so I’m totally not expecting them to write it down for public viewing.. *sad sigh*

I love this post. And it gives me ideas… thank your mom for me. 😉

12. Theresa
    May 8, 2011 | 4:15 pm

Your mom sounds amazing. What a wonderful idea.

PS, your link from RDC wasn’t working properly, it was putting an extra https in the link name.

Happy Mother’s Day!