Job Description: Motherhood

I’ve written before about what I used to do for a living, before the job I have now.

Working with behavioural youth.

Running a Crisis Home.

These children lived with me 24/7 while I attempted to de-escalate behaviours, create a structured environment, implement programming, life skills, expectations, chores. While I showed them love, understanding, compassion, and empathy.

Many times there would be nights I did not sleep due to incidents.

But I would get up the next morning because I had a job to do.

When I was preparing to have my daughter friends and family told me how difficult life would be once she came along.

How my life would change.

I laughed at them. I explained my history in dealing with children. That I understood the expectations and that I had a lot of experience dealing with all types of youth.

I was confident I would excel.

I was annoyed that no one believed me.

I was wrong.

Being a mother is nothing like working with behavioural youth.

The nights are longer, the days are longer, there is no pay.

There is no manual, no mission statement, no boss to ask for assistance or a day off.

There’s no annual review and no feedback on improvements you might make, it’s all guess work.

The appreciation doesn’t come in a formal letter, or a raise, and sometimes it seems like not at all.

But when the appreciation does come it’s that much sweeter because it’s in the form of tiny hugs and wet kisses, the sound of “Mama” and a little fingers clasping yours. It’s the warmth of a baby asleep against your chest because she wouldn’t sleep anywhere else.

Being a mother is the hardest job in the world.

And the best.

Leighann

26 Responses to Job Description: Motherhood
    May 23, 2011 | 7:07 am

So true, I remember when I had my oldest, very young, people trying to prepare me for what it was going to be like and, of course, I thought I could handle anything. Nothing like being a mom to show us that we don’t know a thing!

2. Yasmin @ a little less fluff
    May 23, 2011 | 7:08 am

I totally agree with you. Motherhood is the hardest job in the world. No one prepares you for it and yes, it is totally sometimes a thankless job.
    There are definately those days when there is a light that makes it all worth while.

Great post.

3. kir
    May 23, 2011 | 7:15 am

You are so right…it’s a great job even admist the chaos!!!! What a great lesson for all of us!

4. lindsay @ you are here
    May 23, 2011 | 7:20 am

The. Hardest. Period.
    But you are oh so right about it being the best. I can’t imagine NOT having children now. I sometimes panic thinking about them growing up and not being snuggly little mommy-lovers anymore. Another good reason to live in the now!

5. butterflygirl
    May 23, 2011 | 7:21 am

Best post EVER! Soo true. I loved the part about the rewards, when they fall asleep on your chest. As much as rocking would drive me nuts some nights, I wouldn’t change any of it!! I loved having those moments… Still do. We are so lucky to be mothers of such healthy little girls.

6. Alison Lee
    May 23, 2011 | 7:24 am

Oh so true! I love the appreciation part because that’s what I live for daily. Being a mom is the best.

May 24, 2011 | 8:42 pm

We have to live for the good stuff cause if we pay too much attention to the yucky stuff we would never get out of bed.

7. Amy
    May 23, 2011 | 8:09 am

Being a mom is definitely the best thing I have ever done and the hardest!! I can’t imagine not doing it though.

Great post as usual 🙂

May 24, 2011 | 8:41 pm

Now that I am a mom I can’t imagine not being one.
      It’s what I do.

8. Galit Breen
    May 23, 2011 | 8:19 am

Gorgeous, true, and heartfelt. Exactly what I’ve come to expect when I come visit you.

No one can really prepare us for Motherhood, can they? We just have to live it. Beautifully, painfully live it.

Lovely my friend! Truly. XO

May 24, 2011 | 8:38 pm

You make me smile.
      Oh… that word..painfully.
      Some days it is painful
      But then the beauty comes and I forget the pain ever existed.

9. Krista
    May 23, 2011 | 8:24 am

For real. The hardest job ever. And there’s no training in the world that gets you ready for it. But we do it. Because it’s what mothers do and because we wouldn’t have it any other way.

I loved this.

May 24, 2011 | 8:37 pm

Thank you for loving this!
      You’re right. So hard.
      So worth it.

May 23, 2011 | 8:27 am

Ver’ true. Nothing will make you tear your hair out like being a parent. But when you see them grow and learn and get the tight hugs and loving, genuine kisses, it’s all worth it.

May 24, 2011 | 8:36 pm

I so can’t wait for the big big hugs.
      the running up and jumping hugs.
      this thought gives me butterflies!

11. liz
    May 23, 2011 | 11:02 am

You are so right; there’s definitely a difference between caring for your own kids vs someone else’s. It just doesn’t go as deep if the kids aren’t yours.

May 24, 2011 | 8:35 pm

And working with behavioural youth meant I built up an emotional wall so I didn’t get attached.
      It was too painful when they left.
      I’m all sorts of attached to my daughter.
      So much different.

May 23, 2011 | 1:10 pm

This is so true. Being a mother is difficult. You don’t get to take days off or call in sick but those hugs and kisses make it all worth it.

May 24, 2011 | 8:35 pm

I really miss sleeping all day long to get rid of a cold.
      No one could prepare me for that.
      But I still wouldn’t trade being a mother for a day in bed.

13. Shell
    May 23, 2011 | 1:56 pm

Oh, I totally agree! I thought I’d be prepared b/c I was a teacher. Ha.

May 24, 2011 | 8:29 pm

Interesting how our jobs just don’t prepare us. Not one bit.

14. Jackie
    May 23, 2011 | 3:05 pm

So true. And one mom’s experience is nothing like another mom…. so giving advice and expecting them to follow through is almost impossible! Every child and every mom is different.

It’s a tiring job but I don’t think that a single one of us would give it up for anything in the world.

May 24, 2011 | 8:28 pm

You are so right. Not one mom’s experience is like another. That’s why it’s so important to be careful when we offer any type of advice.
      You’re so smart!

15. Elena
    May 23, 2011 | 4:40 pm

I couldn’t agree more – hardest and the best job all in the same. Funny how that works!

May 24, 2011 | 8:26 pm

It is funny… no matter how hard it gets there’s always a reward tucked around the corner.

16. MamaRobinJ
    May 25, 2011 | 11:44 am

True. All true. And one of the best things about bloggy land is learning that others find it hard too.