Lets Go Outside?

Beautiful heat shines down on the newly planted begonias, pansies, and marigolds. Each beautiful stem standing tall in its new beige pot, freshly packed down in black earth.

Together we picked each flower out, planning where we would put each one, anticipating it’s growth, imagining the picture guests would see when they drove up our driveway, mesmerized by the flowers in full bloom.

So many plans made.

All these things I want to do.

Every summer my list is long, my promises are many, and my intentions are good. But then I remember I hate the outdoors.

Laying on the beach, feeling the sun soak into my skin and closing in on a burn , it sounds heavenly. I can see the waves rolling against the sand, I can feel the cool breeze against my legs, and if I close my eyes I can hear laughter from families enjoying the miles of freedom the banks offer.

Once there I feel the heat hit my hair, the sweat begins to roll down my back, and I get itchy. I start a mental count down of how much longer I have to endure the fiery burns of hell.

I imagine feeling the cool water tickling my legs as I enter, the ebb and flow that carries me further into the deep, eventually ducking under and allowing the waves to take me under.

The water is colder than imagined and my bathing suit is baggy on my behind. I forget every year that I don’t like my legs, my stomach, or my arms and am reminded when the suit is back on. The water suddenly seems to taunt me.

Every summer I make plans.

This summer it was a beautiful garden, complete with flowers, hanging baskets, moving bushes, turning dirt, and lighting.

Gardening is a lot of work. There are bugs, the sun is hot, and the baby eats the flowers. The bending over is not just painful but unflattering, and sweat mixed with dirt is not a combination I enjoy.

But, Brian does.

And our gardens look beautiful!

Leighann

* editors note – yesterday I vlogged about my gardens (or lack there of) I do have gardens as you can read above, however, for the purpose of the vlog (and comedic genius) I thought it best that you see what would happen if I alone did the gardening.

15 Responses to Lets Go Outside?
  1. Nic
    June 1, 2011 | 7:01 am

Love the garden! Wanna come over and do mine?

June 1, 2011 | 7:44 am

You sound EXACTLY like my bestfriend. She loathes the outdoors! But this is beautifully written 😉

3. Amy
    June 1, 2011 | 8:45 am

I hate outdoors too. Primarily because I am a mosquito magnet… and I hate sand…. and dirt…. and hot.

4. Lady Estrogen
    June 1, 2011 | 9:11 am

As long as you’re the orchestrator and he puts your ideas to work, then it’s all good. Me? I’m just looking forward to getting grass! I’m sick of living in a construction zone. ACK!
    x

5. Elena
    June 1, 2011 | 11:01 am

I always have the best of intentions for summer but I never get through my list. Since I’m off for the summer, I always think I’ll get so much accomplished – especially in the yard – and I never do. Good luck with your gardening!

6. liz
    June 1, 2011 | 3:28 pm

Gardens truly are a labor of love. As soon as I head out, I start to sweat. But there is a lot of satisfaction in a job well done.

7. KLZ
    June 1, 2011 | 4:30 pm

I hate the beach. I love the IDEA of the beach – but sand up my swimsuit? Is enough to make me want to slap everyone.

8. Carina
    June 1, 2011 | 4:33 pm

Sometimes it is just really nice to get your hands into some deep, dark topsoil and get the dirt and sweat mixing together. It can be really nice.

Sounds like you’ll have beautiful gardens anyway. 🙂

June 1, 2011 | 6:40 pm

At least you have Brian to tend to the flowers and mow the yard. And I mean that in the non-dirty way.

10. stressthynameisamber
    June 1, 2011 | 7:40 pm

I love being outdoors. Love the flowers. Ppprrreeettyyyy. 🙂

11. Cookie's Mom
    June 1, 2011 | 7:48 pm

Too funny. Sweat mixed with dirt, indeed! I love my garden too, and I love ‘my Brian’ for keeping it from turning into something out of The Adam’s Family!

12. Coolwhipmom
    June 1, 2011 | 10:22 pm

I love gardens but I hate gardening. Am totally with you on the whole sweat + dirt thing.

13. Bruna
    June 2, 2011 | 12:55 am

I have only managed to pull weeds so I am totally jealous! This weekend is my gardening time. Can’t wait!

14. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 2, 2011 | 1:28 am

I love this! Though I’m dying to go to the beach after looking through my old photos for the vlog. But the thought of putting on a swimsuit scares me to death. And the thought of buying a new one to fit me, makes me want to curl up in a hole.

The garden is lovely!

15. Mom
    June 3, 2011 | 10:35 am

You certainly take after your Mother. Hubby does the work and I enjoy the picture of beautiful flowers and shrubs. Though I do look forward to my early morning walks every day.(Get it done before the heat of the day arrives.)