Throat Punch Thursday

It Thursday!

Who needs a punch to the Adam’s apple?

A chop to the larynx?

I’ll tell you who.

The MTO.

That’s Ministry of Transportation for you American’s.

Why?

We have a major highway here in Ontario. Its called the 401. You’ve been on it, you know you have.

It’s our version of a Freeway.

This freeway of ours is used by thousands of people every day to commute to their destinations. It becomes clogged with cars early in the morning and remains that way until late in the evening.

What could possibly make this worse?

Construction.

Approved by the MTO.

On my way to work everyday I am slowed to a crawl to pass through three separate construction sites on a major highway.

I am slowed from a speed of over 110 km/h (that’s 68 mph for you Americans) to barely 40km/h (24 mph).

And then I am annoyed.

Because I drive this part of the highway everyday. Every. Single. Day. I know what lanes to get in and when to merge.

I have no idea what the hell everyone else is doing on this road.

Or why they don’t merge when they see the HUGE orange flashing arrow pointing to the lane they should be driving in.

Or why they think their destination is THAT much more important than mine.

But I’m not going to blame the stupid drivers.

I’m not going to take it out on the empty headed idiots who attempt to go around on the SHOULDER of the highway!

I’m much more mature than that.

I’m blaming the MTO.

It’s their fault.

SO.

MTO, you get one big, sharp, jagged finger nailed throat jab and then…

A throat punch!

Progress on your road work will slow a bit while you recover from the pain.

But really, how much slower can progress get?

Here’s another throat punch for being too slow!

I’m seriously strong.

Assholes.

Linking up with The Truth About Motherhood

32 Responses to Throat Punch Thursday
  1. Galit Breen
    June 9, 2011 | 6:52 am

I couldn’t possibly love you more. That is all. XO

2. butterflygirl
    June 9, 2011 | 7:09 am

Possibly Hwy 2 would move quicker for you?! I hate when people try to squeeze in at the last second too. I sometimes don’t let them. Other times I’m the person trying to squeeze in so really I can’t complain either way… I do though;)

June 9, 2011 | 7:27 am

Bahahahah! They are a bunch of assholes. No lie. Why do they do construction to the 401 especially around peek holiday season? Why?

June 9, 2011 | 1:01 pm

They like to line us up and watch us hit our heads off the steering wheel. All the while they smoke and laugh.

June 9, 2011 | 7:27 am

PS. I live in Windsor so you can imagine the crap we’re dealing with. You know the second bridge and green way project. Oy

June 9, 2011 | 12:59 pm

Why do they do this to us?? We are a kind country until you put us in traffic!!

5. lindsay @ you are here
    June 9, 2011 | 7:52 am

Isn’t that annoying!!?? I was at the County this weekend and was thinking on my way back “why don’t they work at night when it’s not busy??”
    And people that ride the merge lane out PISS ME OFF. I stay right beside them and smile. Merge THIS a-hole!

June 9, 2011 | 12:58 pm

God bless you!! I block them too! Wait your turn!! We are the same person! It’s true.

6. Amy
    June 9, 2011 | 8:21 am

I get it except for all that Canadian stuff 😉 I Michigan summer doesn’t mean warm weather and fun. It means construction.

June 9, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Lol. Oh Amy. Next time no Canadian crap. Also? I’m still laughing over your vlog!!! Hilarious!!

7. Cookie's Mom
    June 9, 2011 | 8:53 am

Ah, yes. I remember it well. I used to commute 1 1/2 hours each way to work and back. Move out here and join me in laughing at the locals who get annoyed when their commute is 5 minutes longer than usual. In a city of 1 million people, there’s nowhere you can’t get to in 1/2 an hour, and yet we complain. It’s all relative. I feel for you!

June 9, 2011 | 1:03 pm

Did u say one million? I shudder at the thought.

Ps how was your walk??

June 9, 2011 | 10:34 am

I’ve never been to Canada so I haven’t been on that road but the freeway I drive on everyday just started construction and it does suck so I agree with your throat punch.

9. Elena
    June 9, 2011 | 11:51 am

I hear you on highways! We have a highway near our house that we take frequently and last summer it took them 6 months to redo a 2 mile stretch! 6 months! It’s ridiculous. You’re right – it couldn’t be any slower. Kudos to you for not being the pass-on-the-shoulder person. 😉

June 9, 2011 | 1:05 pm

When it comes to driving I am no sheep. I follow the rules not the others. I didn’t always but I have a family now.

You and Jessica. To Canada. Now!!

10. Reera
    June 9, 2011 | 12:21 pm

Maybe Tomorrow you should take the west bound exit, get off at Wallbridge Road and come and have a little fun in the splish and splash and kiddy pool instead??? I Promise, there is zero construction.

11. Nina Badzin
    June 9, 2011 | 5:06 pm

In Minnesota we say there are two seasons: Winter and Construction.

June 10, 2011 | 12:04 am

A jab and a punch? Damn! So is your 401 (which I HAVE been on!) not usually backed up during rush hour? That’s pretty normal here, but not all damn day.

June 10, 2011 | 12:31 am

Always backed up in the big cities but not in my area. Not until we hit the construction sites. Ack! My blood boils

13. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 10, 2011 | 8:52 am

Your throat punch? Awesome. I HATE CONSTRUCTION. I live in a city that is endlessly digging up roads. My freaking neighborhood is a massive construction site. It’s not just traffic, it’s pollution and noise. Gah. I’m borrowing your throat punch.

14. […] Leighann opened up about her love of the wonderful MTO and the chaotic mess that is the Hwy […]

15. Mommy's Paradise
    June 11, 2011 | 6:04 am

I’m so with you, highway and construction and the clock ticking, that sucks. When I read this I know why I’m living on a small island in the Indian Ocean. 🙂 But don’t worry, even here we have construction and traffic jam sometimes. Sigh.

June 11, 2011 | 8:38 am

You can’t even get way from it in paradise!! There goes my plans if I win the lottery.

16. MamaRobinJ
    June 11, 2011 | 4:11 pm

I know. It’s ridiculous. They always do this – during commuting time, during summer, whenever lots of people are on the roads. Bugs the shit out of me.

17. Are You Reading?
    September 22, 2011 | 4:34 am

[…] anyone had been reading my carefully placed words. on my beautifully designed blog, then I would not be stuck in traffic every night of the […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/06/09/throat-punch-thursday-2/trackback/

Throat Punch Thursday

It Thursday!

Who needs a punch to the Adam’s apple?

A chop to the larynx?

I’ll tell you who.

The MTO.

That’s Ministry of Transportation for you American’s.

Why?

It’s our version of a Freeway.

What could possibly make this worse?

Construction.

Approved by the MTO.

And then I am annoyed.

I have no idea what the hell everyone else is doing on this road.

Or why they think their destination is THAT much more important than mine.

But I’m not going to blame the stupid drivers.

I’m much more mature than that.

I’m blaming the MTO.

It’s their fault.

SO.

MTO, you get one big, sharp, jagged finger nailed throat jab and then…

A throat punch!

Progress on your road work will slow a bit while you recover from the pain.

But really, how much slower can progress get?

Here’s another throat punch for being too slow!

I’m seriously strong.

Assholes.

Linking up with The Truth About Motherhood

32 Responses to Throat Punch Thursday
  1. Galit Breen
    June 9, 2011 | 6:52 am

I couldn’t possibly love you more. That is all. XO

2. butterflygirl
    June 9, 2011 | 7:09 am

June 9, 2011 | 7:27 am

June 9, 2011 | 1:01 pm

June 9, 2011 | 7:27 am

June 9, 2011 | 12:59 pm

Why do they do this to us?? We are a kind country until you put us in traffic!!

5. lindsay @ you are here
    June 9, 2011 | 7:52 am

June 9, 2011 | 12:58 pm

6. Amy
    June 9, 2011 | 8:21 am

June 9, 2011 | 12:57 pm

7. Cookie's Mom
    June 9, 2011 | 8:53 am

June 9, 2011 | 1:03 pm

Did u say one million? I shudder at the thought.

Ps how was your walk??

June 9, 2011 | 10:34 am

9. Elena
    June 9, 2011 | 11:51 am

June 9, 2011 | 1:05 pm

You and Jessica. To Canada. Now!!

10. Reera
    June 9, 2011 | 12:21 pm

11. Nina Badzin
    June 9, 2011 | 5:06 pm

In Minnesota we say there are two seasons: Winter and Construction.

June 10, 2011 | 12:04 am