Forgiveness in a Hug

Let's BEE Friends

*SLAM*

"I HATE YOU!"

My bedroom door hit its frame so hard I can see where the wood has split with my anger.

My blood boils.

Stupid house. Stupid rules.

I hate it here.

Throwing my body face first into my pillow I let out my frustration, my confusion, and my teenage angst. I cry because I can't go to the party I so badly want to attend and because my parents don't understand me. I scream because they don't care.

My tears choke me, they're fast and hard.

My head hurts.

Then I hear a knock.

"Go away!"

My voice is cracked, hoarse from screaming and I'm still angry.

I feel my dad's weight beside me on the bed.

"Don't get wound up."

Is all he says.

And then he puts his hand in mine and gives a tug.

I spring up and wrap my arms around him, close my eyes and bury my head in the comfort that is my father, and cry.

And we sit that way, together, father and daughter, a quiet understanding; a forgiveness, until I am calm.

39 Responses to Forgiveness in a Hug
  1. FranceRants
    June 15, 2011 | 8:34 am

Yes, sometimes the human touch is all one needs. A good way to diffuse hurt feelings….

2. Tara
    June 15, 2011 | 8:51 am

Aw that brought a tear to my eye. I think every parent longs for that kind of relationship with their child.

June 15, 2011 | 5:21 pm

I so hope that when my child(ren) grow up and have their own they look back and thank me for how I raised them. I certainly thank my parents

June 15, 2011 | 8:53 am

As teenagers we really thought life would end if we didn’t go to the party.

Glad your dad was there to help calm you down.

4. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 15, 2011 | 8:57 am

What a great dad you have there. That’s what father are for right? Hugging it all away.

5. Frelle
    June 15, 2011 | 9:14 am

im glad he pursued you and gave you that reaching out invitation to connect after the fight!

6. Amy
    June 15, 2011 | 9:46 am

What a great post. What an understanding dad.

June 15, 2011 | 12:39 pm

I never had a bond like that with my father…you’re very lucky.

8. Kris
    June 15, 2011 | 12:43 pm

Ah, to be a teenager.

This is a good lesson for all of us to remember. Even when our kids say go away – they really don’t mean it.

9. cam
    June 15, 2011 | 1:39 pm

sometimes it feels like a hard knock life when you’re a teenager. sounds like your dad understood just that.

10. JDaniel4's Mom
    June 15, 2011 | 10:04 pm

What an amazing relationship! Your dad knew just what you needed.

11. Galit Breen
    June 15, 2011 | 11:49 pm

Oh my I hope that I handle these types of moments with as much grace as your dad!

It’s tricky as the parent and the child isn’t it?

Oy.

XO

12. Carina
    June 16, 2011 | 11:44 am

Another great moment from the mind of Leigh Ann. 🙂

13. Christine
    June 16, 2011 | 1:11 pm

Good for him for reaching out. Good for you for yielding. Feeling the anger is one thing, letting it go is another. Sigh…

June 16, 2011 | 1:20 pm

How true. It’s a learned behavior to let go and not hold on to a grudge. I’m so glad my parents taught me it

14. Bruna
    June 16, 2011 | 11:53 pm

Aww, how sweet. It’s nice your Dad reached out to you in times of angst. My parents never did. Letting go of anger took longer because of it.

15. Seasoned Air Force Spouse
    June 17, 2011 | 12:07 am

Very cool. We’re not too the door slamming yet, but we get lots of ‘tude/pa behavior. Your dad handled you much better than I handle it in our house. (slow burn). Thanks for the example. 🙂

June 17, 2011 | 6:50 am

I really hope to handle it this way when We are at the slamming door stage

16. mom2kiddos
    June 17, 2011 | 2:07 am

I’m glad you have that special bond with your dad. It’s comforting to be able to hug your dad and cry in his arms.

Hi, let’s Bee friends!

17. suitcasefulloftricks
    June 17, 2011 | 12:33 pm

Ugg. I SO remember those days. It was so unbelievably difficult being a teenager. My dad wasn’t understanding, but I know that even though my daughter is only 4 that this would be something my husband would do. I really loved this post.

18. Polish Mama on the Prairie
    June 17, 2011 | 2:10 pm

But those are some of the best moments, those hugs…

19. Elena
    June 19, 2011 | 8:56 am

That is so sweet. Life was over if we couldn’t go to things back then. What a special moment between you and your dad. It’s funny how at the time we don’t realize that we’ll remember that moment other than anything that would’ve happened at that party.

June 19, 2011 | 6:16 pm

Wow you are so right. I remember what my dad did. Not what might have happened at the party.

20. Anastasia
    June 20, 2011 | 2:07 am

Wow, my dad would have never done that. I’d like to with my kids, thanks for reminding me to hug my children even when they are being kind of silly.

21. Elizabeth Ross
    July 3, 2011 | 8:58 pm

There is nothing like a daddy’s hug to a daughter. Nothing. Nice piece!

Stopping by from the TMP blog hop…

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/06/15/forgiveness-in-a-hug/trackback/

Forgiveness in a Hug

Let's BEE Friends

*SLAM*

"I HATE YOU!"

My blood boils.

Stupid house. Stupid rules.

I hate it here.

My tears choke me, they're fast and hard.

My head hurts.

Then I hear a knock.

"Go away!"

My voice is cracked, hoarse from screaming and I'm still angry.

I feel my dad's weight beside me on the bed.

"Don't get wound up."

Is all he says.

And then he puts his hand in mine and gives a tug.

39 Responses to Forgiveness in a Hug
  1. FranceRants
    June 15, 2011 | 8:34 am

2. Tara
    June 15, 2011 | 8:51 am

June 15, 2011 | 5:21 pm

June 15, 2011 | 8:53 am

As teenagers we really thought life would end if we didn’t go to the party.

Glad your dad was there to help calm you down.

4. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 15, 2011 | 8:57 am

5. Frelle
    June 15, 2011 | 9:14 am

6. Amy
    June 15, 2011 | 9:46 am

What a great post. What an understanding dad.

June 15, 2011 | 12:39 pm

I never had a bond like that with my father…you’re very lucky.

8. Kris
    June 15, 2011 | 12:43 pm

Ah, to be a teenager.

9. cam
    June 15, 2011 | 1:39 pm

10. JDaniel4's Mom
    June 15, 2011 | 10:04 pm

What an amazing relationship! Your dad knew just what you needed.

11. Galit Breen
    June 15, 2011 | 11:49 pm

It’s tricky as the parent and the child isn’t it?

Oy.

June 17, 2011 | 2:07 am

Hi, let’s Bee friends!

17. suitcasefulloftricks
    June 17, 2011 | 12:33 pm

18. Polish Mama on the Prairie
    June 17, 2011 | 2:10 pm

But those are some of the best moments, those hugs…

19. Elena
    June 19, 2011 | 8:56 am

June 19, 2011 | 6:16 pm

20. Anastasia
    June 20, 2011 | 2:07 am

21. Elizabeth Ross
    July 3, 2011 | 8:58 pm

There is nothing like a daddy’s hug to a daughter. Nothing. Nice piece!

Stopping by from the TMP blog hop…