Vacation at the Hospital

Since having a baby I’ve been privy to some of the most horrendous birth stories there are. We mothers do that to one another, we terrorize each other with stories of endless labour, epidurals gone wrong, episiotomies that wouldn’t heal, and doctors with no bedside manner.

Women see a pregnant woman and the gloves come off.

So when it was my turn I was prepared for the worst.

I was ready for my head to swell with each contraction, for the pits of hell to open up and the devil himself to appear and offer me a pain-free delivery in exchange for my soul.

None of this happened.

*I’d like to give a shout out to the drugs!

The first time I gave birth (and the only time so far) I relished in the vacation that was the hospital stay!

My delivery was uneventful, I mean, there was a baby and she was/is perfect in every way. We created a miracle so that was pretty awesome! But other than the miracle part – uneventful.

But after…sigh.

I laid in a bed, a bed that was all mine, and cuddled with my new baby. She only asked that I feed her, cuddle her, and stare at her.

Nurses came in and changed her, bathed her, and cooed at her. They let me sleep and woke me up when it was time to feed her each time.

My meals were brought to me, the TV was set on the station I wanted, and I had someone to help me go to the bathroom and shower me.

It was heaven.

Heaven at the hospital.

I miss it and I think about it, probably more often than I should.

If only they sold time shares.

54 Responses to Vacation at the Hospital
    June 21, 2011 | 7:26 am

You are a dime a dozen lady! I wanted out so bad! Not that the care wasn’t bad, because those nurses were angels. I just missed being at home.

June 21, 2011 | 10:18 am

I was petrified to go home!! Sweet Lord!! Take her home!? With me? Are you crazy?

2. RaRa
    June 21, 2011 | 8:54 am

After leaving the hospital I desperately missed the option of ringing the call button in the middle of the night and having a nurse take the wide-awake baby to the nursery so I could sleep for a couple hours! But, I still didn’t want to stay any longer than I had too.

June 21, 2011 | 10:16 am

I did. I loved it. I think about it and how relaxing it was.

You have the same name as my good friend RaRa!! How funny!!

June 21, 2011 | 9:55 am

I’ve never heard this before from someone. Usually people can’t wait to get out of the hospital because they wake you up every 2 hours. But I do like the part where they take care of the diaper changes, baths, and bringing the baby to you.

June 21, 2011 | 10:17 am

I was up every three so I got some good sleep! I seriously think there’s something wrong with me. Lol

4. Carina
    June 21, 2011 | 10:51 am

What a great take. I have heard some of the horror stories myself, despite never having been pregnant. I hope that it’s as much of a breeze as you experienced. 🙂 Eh – I won’t get my hopes up. 🙂

June 21, 2011 | 10:38 pm

It will be great!! You will breeze through it with wonderful memories like I did!! I know it

5. Amy
    June 21, 2011 | 11:25 am

I felt the same way! I tried to stay as long as I could with all 3…. then I sent Robs to the nursery quite a bit…. I was all about sleeping.

June 21, 2011 | 10:37 pm

I hear the nursery is all the rage! I might try that with the second one. I love sleep

6. Victoria KP
    June 21, 2011 | 12:08 pm

LOL! I felt the same way after my c-section. I’ll never forget my angel… I mean nurse named Irene who would come in and say, “Would you like me to take the baby so you can get some sleep?” Sigh. That baby will be 9 in a couple of weeks and I still miss Irene 🙂

June 21, 2011 | 10:33 pm

Oh no. My fantasies will never stop!! My nurse said Tylenol weird but I loved her for it

7. jessicaanne12
    June 21, 2011 | 2:15 pm

I was the same, especially after my third. My doctor mentioned other people were leaving early, hinting I could do the same. Go home to two toddlers with a newborn? Not until they forced me to. 🙂

June 21, 2011 | 9:36 pm

God bless yah! I know with the next one ill be asking to pay them to stay longer

8. Elaine
    June 21, 2011 | 2:48 pm

I had one of those semi horror birth stories which (i’m sure you’re glad) I will NOT share here. 😉 I’m so glad yours was uneventful and SO enjoyable! I did actually like the food at the hospital though. I’m weird like that.

June 21, 2011 | 9:35 pm

I loved the food!! But I love all food I don’t have to cook!!

9. TheKirCorner
    June 21, 2011 | 3:32 pm

LOL..what a great story. I really enjoyed my hospital stay too.
    I mean I was 5 weeks early and my boys were in the NICU, but they were FINE! I watched Law & Order (of course I did), I finally ate after 35 weeks without throwing up, I visited my sons, called my friends, was so happy to NOT BE ON BEDREST anymore and my C-section didn’t hurt at all…like NOT AT ALL. I even got to stay for 6 days, it really was heaven to sleep, eat, get visitors, go and see the boys, hold them, learn how to care for them from PROFESSIONAL Nurses, have conversations with people in the outside world.

I never complain about my delivery and hospitalization, it was great. I “get you” 😉

loved this. 🙂

June 21, 2011 | 9:33 pm

I’m so glad when someone gets it. Yay for good hospital memories.

10. TheKirCorner
    June 21, 2011 | 3:33 pm

love the new picture on the blog!!!! AWWWWWW!!!!!! I want to HUG you both!!!

11. Runnermom-jen
    June 21, 2011 | 6:07 pm

Awesome story! I loved my hospital stays too 🙂

12. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    June 21, 2011 | 6:20 pm

How much did I hate giving birth at a hospital? My next two were born at home!

But this? “We try to out do our friends with tales of popped blood vessels in our eyes, loss of bowel control, pulling arms off in the delivery room, and squeezing out 20lb babies.”

SO true. And it made me giggle.

13. Jennie B
    June 21, 2011 | 6:23 pm

I’ve heard of you moms who loved the hospital stay. Me? I wanted out out out!

Very entertaining take on the prompt.

June 21, 2011 | 6:57 pm

I LOVED my hospital stays, more so with Zoe because we got to have her in the room with us. I even wrote a post about it called Hospital Honeymoon. The 1st time I was sad to go home because I had been there for almost 2 weeks and it was a very emotionally roller coaster of a stay. The second time I was sad to go home because it was such a lovely stay — huge room in the new wing, awesome nurses, and 4 days spent bonding with my baby and my husband.

June 21, 2011 | 8:02 pm

We had a private room! So wonderful. I imagine you had a nice vacation the second time!!

• Leigh Ann
        June 21, 2011 | 10:20 pm

I forgot to mention the bed! I love hospital beds! Weird, I know.

15. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 21, 2011 | 7:03 pm

I LOVED my hospital stay after delivery – we were there 5 days! Well, aside from the iron infusion due to anemia. Other than that, ohmygoodness. The alone time, the alone time with the baby, the awesome double bed with clean sheets (every day), the daily meal trays, the coffee/ tea on demand, the awesome midwives and nurses……I was lucky, I know!

June 21, 2011 | 9:32 pm

A double freakin bed?! I’m going to your hospital next time.

16. Rach (DonutsMama)
    June 21, 2011 | 9:27 pm

This was totally how it was for me too. I loved the nurses, loved being waited on and I felt great the whole time. Well, after the epi. I didn’t want to go home either!

June 21, 2011 | 10:47 pm

I even loved the epidural. I think my memory is clouded. …. Nah

17. Mom Went Crazy
    June 21, 2011 | 9:50 pm

You are too funny!!! This is totally true. For my second baby I had midwives and they said “You can go home after three hours if you want.” I was ALL over that. I hated the hospital the first time. Then I got home and the oldest was all over me and wanting to play. Brutal. I needed a week at that place!

June 21, 2011 | 10:49 pm

I had a doula and loved it. She was totally focused on me. Only me. So so perfect

18. mamamash
    June 21, 2011 | 10:06 pm

I loved being at the hospital. I didn’t have to cook, clean or share the covers. People brought me food, painted my toenails, I got to sleep whenever I felt like it.

When we got ready to leave, I cried.

19. MamaTrack
    June 21, 2011 | 10:56 pm

I loved it there. I was scared and confused–emergency c-section–but being taken care of was awesome. There was an angel of a nurse there–sometime I’m going to write about him. He was amazing.

I was sad to come home too.

June 21, 2011 | 11:17 pm

I love a good beside manner! So hard to find these days but when you do…. Sigh

20. Galit Breen
    June 21, 2011 | 11:26 pm

It’s true- all of it.

The war stories: Why do we do that?!

The drugs: I’ll second that shout out and give it a big ‘ol Amen!

And the hospital: Good God that’s a great place to be a new Mama! I didn’t appreciate it the 1st time around, but by Chloe and Brody? Um- yeah, I so would have moved in.

Adore this, adore you!

XO

June 22, 2011 | 12:11 pm

Love the drugs! Even when they dropped my heart rate and tried to kill me. Loved them Will use them again

21. Lady Estrogen
    June 21, 2011 | 11:29 pm

As long as I didn’t have to get up to go to the bathroom, yeah, it was freakin’ awesome.
    I’ll agree with you, 100%.

June 22, 2011 | 12:10 pm

Dude. The bathroom trips scared the hell outta me!! Seriously.

22. Mommy's Paradise
    June 22, 2011 | 9:53 am

Aww, are you kidding me? I thought I had an easy birth, I was induced, 8hr of pain and pop he was out, but this service in the hospital I could have only dreamed off. This just doesn’t exist here on the island. I was the one looking, diapering and cooing to my little one every second since he is on this earth. And 2 1/2 days after birth they literally kick you out of the hospital. Ugh. It was ok, but only for the purpose of not giving birth all alone, but with a nurse at your side (and my Hubs of course). And no painkiller, here they don’t even ask you if you need or want them. Girl, you were in heaven. 🙂

June 22, 2011 | 12:09 pm

This island paradise sounds more and more like hell each time I hear from you!!

Drugs woman!!

23. lindsay @ you are here
    June 22, 2011 | 1:32 pm

I had no air conditioning at home, so I tried to extend my hospital stay as LONG as possible.
    Plus?
    With Monster, I already had a 23 month old at home so again… tried to stretch it out LOL

24. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    June 22, 2011 | 6:10 pm

I love, love, LOVE this! I love the intro about how moms are totally competitive over their birthing horror stories (myself included). I second the shout out to the drugs. Epidural = AWESOMENESS. (Though when they had to turn mine off I did freak out a bit. But I digress…) And I SOOO miss being pampered in the hospital. The second time I enjoyed it more. Probably because DH, God love ‘im, was home with our oldest so I got alone time. Truly, solo mio. It rocked.

June 22, 2011 | 9:45 pm

Thank you so much!
      It’s true we love to one up each other.

25. Tt
    June 23, 2011 | 10:50 pm

Truly one of my favorite births. Your right totally uneventful and basically textbook. Very very proud of you, I always will be.Till the next one. Cheers;)

June 24, 2011 | 7:05 am

Thank you for being there with me. Love you.

• tt
        June 24, 2011 | 9:39 am

Anytime baby girl any time.xoxo now get on it!! Im in need of a birth:)

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/06/21/vacation-at-the-hospital/trackback/

Vacation at the Hospital

Women see a pregnant woman and the gloves come off.

So when it was my turn I was prepared for the worst.

None of this happened.

*I’d like to give a shout out to the drugs!

But after…sigh.

It was heaven.

Heaven at the hospital.

I miss it and I think about it, probably more often than I should.

If only they sold time shares.

54 Responses to Vacation at the Hospital
    June 21, 2011 | 7:26 am

June 21, 2011 | 10:18 am

2. RaRa
    June 21, 2011 | 8:54 am

June 21, 2011 | 10:16 am

I did. I loved it. I think about it and how relaxing it was.

You have the same name as my good friend RaRa!! How funny!!

June 21, 2011 | 9:55 am

7. jessicaanne12
    June 21, 2011 | 2:15 pm

June 21, 2011 | 9:36 pm

8. Elaine
    June 21, 2011 | 2:48 pm

June 21, 2011 | 9:35 pm

I loved the food!! But I love all food I don’t have to cook!!

9. TheKirCorner
    June 21, 2011 | 3:32 pm

LOL..what a great story. I really enjoyed my hospital stay too.

loved this. 🙂

June 21, 2011 | 9:33 pm

I’m so glad when someone gets it. Yay for good hospital memories.

10. TheKirCorner
    June 21, 2011 | 3:33 pm

love the new picture on the blog!!!! AWWWWWW!!!!!! I want to HUG you both!!!

11. Runnermom-jen
    June 21, 2011 | 6:07 pm

Awesome story! I loved my hospital stays too 🙂

12. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    June 21, 2011 | 6:20 pm

How much did I hate giving birth at a hospital? My next two were born at home!

SO true. And it made me giggle.

13. Jennie B
    June 21, 2011 | 6:23 pm

I’ve heard of you moms who loved the hospital stay. Me? I wanted out out out!

Very entertaining take on the prompt.

June 21, 2011 | 6:57 pm

June 21, 2011 | 8:02 pm

• Leigh Ann
        June 21, 2011 | 10:20 pm

I forgot to mention the bed! I love hospital beds! Weird, I know.

15. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 21, 2011 | 7:03 pm

June 21, 2011 | 9:32 pm

A double freakin bed?! I’m going to your hospital next time.

16. Rach (DonutsMama)
    June 21, 2011 | 9:27 pm

June 21, 2011 | 10:47 pm

I even loved the epidural. I think my memory is clouded. …. Nah

17. Mom Went Crazy
    June 21, 2011 | 9:50 pm

June 21, 2011 | 10:49 pm

18. mamamash
    June 21, 2011 | 10:06 pm

When we got ready to leave, I cried.

19. MamaTrack
    June 21, 2011 | 10:56 pm

I was sad to come home too.

June 21, 2011 | 11:17 pm

I love a good beside manner! So hard to find these days but when you do…. Sigh

20. Galit Breen
    June 21, 2011 | 11:26 pm

It’s true- all of it.

The war stories: Why do we do that?!

The drugs: I’ll second that shout out and give it a big ‘ol Amen!

Adore this, adore you!

XO

June 22, 2011 | 12:11 pm

21. Lady Estrogen
    June 21, 2011 | 11:29 pm

I’ll agree with you, 100%.

June 22, 2011 | 12:10 pm

Dude. The bathroom trips scared the hell outta me!! Seriously.

22. Mommy's Paradise
    June 22, 2011 | 9:53 am

June 22, 2011 | 12:09 pm

This island paradise sounds more and more like hell each time I hear from you!!

Drugs woman!!

23. lindsay @ you are here
    June 22, 2011 | 1:32 pm

Plus?

24. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    June 22, 2011 | 6:10 pm

June 22, 2011 | 9:45 pm

Thank you so much!
      It’s true we love to one up each other.

25. Tt
    June 23, 2011 | 10:50 pm

June 24, 2011 | 7:05 am

Thank you for being there with me. Love you.

• tt
        June 24, 2011 | 9:39 am

Anytime baby girl any time.xoxo now get on it!! Im in need of a birth:)