The Door

We have been looking for a screen door for the back, upstairs entrance to our house. Something solid, with a screen at the top, and some character to it. The door we have currently is a simple and metal with a window that does its job but lets very little light and fresh air in.

Our first stop was where every home owner goes when they want to take home improvements into their own hands, Home Depot. This was not my suggestion, I hate the Depot. I do not like the colour orange and I live for a bargain.

I have never found a bargain in the Depot.

After looking at their doors and discovering that I was right and the Home Depot may not be the place to purchase our items we changed directions and sought out a home based carpenter.

The person we were aware of had a business out of his garage, which is very normal in our area, and sold solid pine front a back doors, these are not ready for pick up, they are ordered and made. We met with him and discussed parameters, cost, time frame, and bargained with him a bit.

Okay I bargained with him.

I was satisfied, somewhat, with the deal we got but when I returned to the car with the baby I felt like I hadn’t gotten the best deal I could have.

He and Brian arrived a few minutes later and he commented on our car.

“Wow! Mazda 3, nice car, you guys must not do too bad eh?!”

Was he comparing my lifestyle to this car?

“Oh, this is a rental, this isn’t my car.”

His stare shifted from me to Brian. Brian then offered that I purchased a Volkswagen.

“Huh. Another great car. You guys really aren’t doing bad at all.”

I could feel myself getting angry. Who was this guy? He had no idea how “well” we were doing and if we were doing “well” at all. I hadn’t disclosed how much I make or how many bills we have, he simply assumed based on my rental vehicle and then my purchased car.

Was this why he didn’t lower the price of the door much? Because he believed we made “enough.”

I discussed my thoughts with Brian on the way home and my frustration with the way people perceive others just by their clothing, vehicles, or house.

I’m thankful that I rarely allow myself to do this and have learned through my line of work that you never know what someone else has or is going through. Someone may be driving a BMW, work for a multi-million dollar company but be in millions of dollars of debt and be terribly unhappy, or they might work two nights a week at a restaurant and have thousands in savings but shop frugally and drive a 1990 cavalier.

You never know.

And you know what?

It’s none of your business.

24 Responses to The Door
  1. RottenMom
    June 29, 2011 | 7:41 am

Damn right it’s nobody’s business.

Love your new blog design!

2. Lady Estrogen
    June 29, 2011 | 8:09 am

Cars shmars – that’s what I say.
    Anyone that pays more than approx. 30K for a car has more money than sense – or is ok with DEBT. lol

LOVE the new design. Peacocks are one of my favorites – and not for the reason you might think! HAHA

3. KLZ
    June 29, 2011 | 8:31 am

David has friends who always assume we can pay for ANYTHING because we’re so “well” off. It makes me furious. It makes me feel like they think we’re always cheaping out on gifts and dinners because they think we’re rich when we’re….solidly not.

4. dollimama
    June 29, 2011 | 8:33 am

This is so true. Are you still going to use this carpenter, or did you decide to go a different way?

June 29, 2011 | 9:15 am

Ugh I know all too well from 6 yrs working at a financial institution that appearanes can be deceiving. That guy with the nice clothes and fancy car may be doing well…or his car could be a lease and his credit could be really shoddy.

Love love love the new look! Every bit of it!

6. Natalie
    June 29, 2011 | 9:16 am

You are so right…I think a lot of people do exactly this…and it drives me insane. My own family assumes Jason and I can afford anything. It’s irritating and I’m glad you brought it up!

7. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    June 29, 2011 | 9:48 am

That’s so true. How rude of him! Love the new blog look, btw. The colors and the peacock – gorgeous! You must be doing well. 😉 J/K!

8. Amy
    June 29, 2011 | 10:21 am

You are SO right.

9. Sara
    June 29, 2011 | 10:32 am

Ew. It bugs me that he said that- totally inappropriate!! My husband and I drive (much)older, and (very) paid off cars. People can think what they want, but at least I’m not mailing $400+ to a bank each month for them 🙂

June 29, 2011 | 10:37 am

What a jerk for judging you like that.

I’m loving the blog redesign.

11. Jackie
    June 29, 2011 | 10:46 am

You’re absolutely right! It’s nobody’s business how someone else is doing financially. And honestly, it’s rude to ask or imply something by the car they drive or how they look. On the other hand though it’s something that we all do as people.

12. Julie @ mamamash
    June 29, 2011 | 10:52 am

I’m judging you by your sexy new layout. Judge Judge Judgy Judge!

13. Karyn Climans
    June 29, 2011 | 11:35 am

Unfortunately most people judge others by their “cover”. It’s wrong but inevitable!

14. Shell
    June 29, 2011 | 1:00 pm

Bravo, girl!!!!

We never do know what someone is going through, despite what outward appearances might tell us.

June 29, 2011 | 4:36 pm

What a jerk!! Nobody knows anyone’s background and frankly? It’s nobody’s business. Good for you!

Also? I love the new design!!!

16. Nic
    June 29, 2011 | 4:55 pm

TRUE TRUE!!!
    That guy pisses me off so much! You better be getting a good deal! Cuz I wouldn’t buy anything from someone who judges someone by their car! Oh how would he judge me? No car or license! Damn I would tell him 🙂

Also, I LOVE your new blog design! It’s so you 🙂 love ya!

17. Cathy
    June 29, 2011 | 7:11 pm

He may be a jerk for his comments, but lets hope he makes a solid door.
    Love the new look, but, I miss seeing Peanut’s smile. I loved that picture of the two of you.

18. Sarah
    June 30, 2011 | 12:40 am

I think it’s funny that you wrote about this because I was thinking about this today as some lady sped by me in her Lexus and I wondered, “Is she in debt too just on a higher level”? I know that sounds backward snobbish of me and I don’t mean to be that way at all because you’re correct, appearances can be deceiving and we need to stop judging people based on them. Thanks for the reminder!!!

19. MamaRobinJ
    July 1, 2011 | 1:19 am

That kind of stuff totally pisses me off. The judgement and assumption is bad enough, but to comment on it? WTF are you supposed to say in response to that? Ugh.

July 1, 2011 | 9:09 pm

I know! I understand the judgement, that’s human nature, but the comment is rude and could have been held back.

20. Stephanie
    July 1, 2011 | 7:13 am

This is so true and one of the first thing you learn in retail! The person who walks in with designer outfit on may look for the cheapest thing that they can find because they have no actual money, just debt. And the dirt under their nails, icky looking clothes may be coming by on their way home from work and have tons of savings. Judging based on appearance is usually a bad idea!

July 1, 2011 | 9:02 pm

you’ve got it.
      I wish others did.

21. Mom
    July 1, 2011 | 9:07 am

Love the new design, but I also miss the family photo.

July 1, 2011 | 9:01 pm

Thanks mom…
      You can come see us in person anytime xo