A Canadian Summer?

We’ve arrived at the final guest post of the week.

And who better to cap off a fantastic week of visitors than my Bloggy BFF Leigh Ann from Genie in a Blog?!!

She’s my sister from another mister, my sisterwife in Texas, and one day I hope to meet her and her gorgeous family.

But not in the summer, I can’t handle that kinda heat yo!

———————————-

I received an email the other day from Baby Center that started out: “It’s summer! Time to get out and play!”

Whatever. I live in Texas, y’all.

Summer in Central Texas does not signify going outside to frolic in the sunshine. It doesn’t mean relaxing with a glass of lemonade and a book on a cozy patio chair, gazing out at your children playing on your perfectly green and manicured lawn. It doesn’t mean afternoons filed with badminton, kickball, or miniature golf. (But who are we kidding, no one that’s not part of an Old Navy commercial even plays those games anyway.)

It means opening your front door and being greeting by a blast furnace.

It means melting, literally melting, in the 104 degree heat and sticking to your cheap plastic patio chair. Crossing your legs is useless, as the constant excretion of sweat keeps them slipping right off one another. And all the while you’re being eaten alive by mosquitoes who seem to have taken more steroids than [insert name of relevant hockey player here].

It means grass that’s brown and dying due to droughts and city water restrictions.

It means the only outdoor play worth partaking in must involve copious amounts of water unless you want to watch your children suffer heat exhaustion after 10 minutes. For some reason it’s easy for us to ignore the watering restrictions when we’re watering ourselves and not our grass.

It means reapplying your deodorant more often than your sunblock.

And that lemonade? Has probably already evaporated in the sweltering sun.

Needless to say summer is not really an enjoyable season around here. We shut ourselves indoors, pull the shades and curtains tight, and crank up the A/C in our shorts and tank tops. And we’re still sweating.

But once upon a time I got to experience a summer of a different color. I traveled up to the great province of Ontario to visit a friend from college. It was the end of July and beginning of August, a time of year in Texas that sends most people running for the A/C, leaving the streets empty and devoid of civilization. You may even see the token Texas tumbleweed roll down the street. If there was any breeze that is.

So imagine my pleasant surprise when I stepped out of my friend’s car upon arrival to her quaint Canadian farmhouse and was greeted by room temperature, um temperatures. No blast furnace. No immediate sweating. Just nice, comfortable early evening air. The kind of temps we only get here in Texas during the spring and fall. All two weeks of them.

I have something to tell you Canadians. Your summers are glorious. Glorious!

Open windows. Nice breezes. Minimal sweating.

One day as we prepared to go to the beach, my friend and I stopped off for some gas. The friendly attendant waved us off and warned us to be careful.

“It’s going to be a hot one, eh?” (You Canadians and your “eh’s.”)

Puh-lease. The high that day was like 94. I pretty much needed a sweater.

I wasn’t used to these days of dressing warm in the cool mornings, peeling off my clothes throughout the day, only to pile them back on and them some in the evenings and night times. Who would ever think you would need a fleece jacket in July?

Canadians, that’s who.

But every summer, as I sit on my cheap plastic patio chair, sweating profusely, sipping my warm, watered down lemonade, and wondering if Francis Ford Coppola would be interested in my new screenplay called Mosquito-pacalypse Forever, I zone out and think about the days of yore, when I experienced the chilliest summer known to Texans. Or this Texan.

I think I could get used to having a summer home that resides in our cousin to the north. It couldn’t be that bad up there, eh?

———————————–

Ok, I am not made for that kind of heat.

I will stay in Canada, with the 10 month long winters and the brutal construction.

Thank you Leigh Ann for guest posting!

I heart you.. BIG TIME!

27 Responses to A Canadian Summer?
    July 8, 2011 | 5:46 am

Thanks so much for having me, L! But seriously, someone get me a jacket. It’s freezing up here!

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    July 8, 2011 | 7:36 am

Yay, love Leigh Ann, Leighann!!! (Ok I didn’t mess up your names this time)

Leigh Ann, summers in Texas sounds pretty much like EVERY DAY over here where I am.

I guess that’s the reason I schlep around in a tee and 3/4 pants 😉

I wanna go to Canada!

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 8:24 am

I think I might be able to stand it in exchange for beautiful, tropical surroundings. Don’t burst my bubble on that, Alison!

3. Elena
    July 8, 2011 | 7:39 am

That Texas heat definitely doesn’t sound fun. I love the sweater comment when it was 94. It’s supposed to be 93 on Monday and I’m already complaining. Guess I better shut my mouth on twitter or Leigh Ann will be after me. 😉

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 8:25 am

I’ll send some hot blast furnace air your way. Seriously though, we forget how hot 93 can actually be when we’re getting 104!

4. Heidi
    July 8, 2011 | 9:09 am

When I lived in Canada, our house didn’t have air conditioning, so my summer memories are a little different! 94 can feel quite awful when you never get a break from it. But I love the summer house idea – as long as the house comes with A/C!

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 1:41 pm

I’m baffled when I see something about houses that don’t have ceiling fans in every room. But houses up north or in California that don’t have central AC? That’s just plain crazy.

5. Julie @ mamamash
    July 8, 2011 | 9:13 am

I’m from Texas too! Agreed, summer sucks. But so do Canadian winters, so I’ll stay here in the midwest, where we get a little bit of everything, and a whole lot of sunny 70-degree days!

Stay cool, ya’ hear?

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 10:10 am

Agreed, I could never do a Canadian winter. I hate the cold! It was pretty cold this past winter, but usually I’m still able to take the kids outside at some point during the day in the winters here!

July 8, 2011 | 9:54 am

You two could live together for the summer months up in Canada. That would create some interesting blog posts.

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 10:11 am

I think you’re onto something here, Jessica. Maybe even a reality show?

July 9, 2011 | 1:59 pm

I agree with the idea of a TV series!!

7. Paulette (MsPDrama)
    July 8, 2011 | 10:40 am

Can I just say, as fellow Texan, AMEN! I once took summer trip to Michigan…OMG the difference, even from my childhood memory, is astonishing to say the least. Down here, you gotta be made of tough stuff. As for that screen play, sounds like a winner! Especially given the dang mosquitos seem to love the Off, or any other repellent, stuff.

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 1:43 pm

I don’t remember being as bothered by it when I was a kid. But maybe it’s because I HAVE kids now, and I’m having to heave them in and out of the hot car and go on sweltering walks around the block with them.

8. Rach (DonutsMama)
    July 8, 2011 | 1:29 pm

I hear ya on the heat! I used to live north in MN and we didn’t even have an a/c then. My hubby is actually getting us a new a/c tomorrow b/c you know we can’t be stuck without cold air for even 5 minutes in TX!

• Leigh Ann
      July 8, 2011 | 1:44 pm

OMG our AC went out the summer after we bought this house. Thankfully we didn’t have kids yet, but our cats were playing the roles of tortured souls. But it was awful. There was NO RELIEF from it!

9. Galit Breen
    July 8, 2011 | 2:40 pm

Oh the heat! I can so, so relate to the heat!

Turn up the a/c and pass the iced tea, please!

Fun post friends! 🙂

• Leigh Ann
      July 9, 2011 | 11:04 am

Turn it up indeed! But pass me a cold beer please! 🙂

10. Lady Estrogen
    July 8, 2011 | 2:45 pm

Hehehe – I remember how you jumped on me like a horny frog when I complained about the summer “up here” – excuse me!!! HAHA.

• Leigh Ann
      July 9, 2011 | 11:10 am

LOL it’s all relative, friend. Just like I complain about our winter temps in the 40s and 50s.

11. Kathy@Natkatmom
    July 8, 2011 | 9:18 pm

Another Texas sister here. One of my favorite parts of Texas summers is the third degree burns I get on my hands from my steering wheel.
    while running errands. I believe we should change the “Lone Star State” to the “Easy Bake Oven State.” One of these days, I’m going to crack an egg outside and see if it fries mid-air……

12. Kathy@Natkatmom
    July 8, 2011 | 9:27 pm

Don’t know what happened to my response.
    Got some funky punctuation going on with it.
    Must be the Texas heat. 😉

July 9, 2011 | 1:35 am

Oh, can I relate to the heat! I’m not a Texan, but I’m from NJ where the heat and humidity punch you straight in the face the second you open the door. I’ll gladly take cooler summers where I can open my windows and still be able to breathe!

July 9, 2011 | 11:11 am

Oh yes,when it’s humid it’s so much worse! Hubs’ family lives in NC where it is ridiculously humid from all the trees.

15. Cookie's Mom
    July 9, 2011 | 1:43 pm

Leigh Ann, great post! I have experienced Texas in the summer so I feel for you! The grass is always greener on the other side though, isn’t it? Up here, we complain about going from car to garage to our heated homes and otherwise not poking our heads out the door for months of winter! 🙂

16. Kate
    July 9, 2011 | 8:06 pm

I think I’d rather do 104 degree weather (we’ve had it in AR too, it blows!) than do winter in Canada! I HATE the winter time!

I’m more of a Hawaii summer/winter/spring/fall kind of girl!

17. Raji P.
    September 17, 2012 | 12:16 pm

Just read this post, a year and a few months late! 🙂

I’m with M. Mumma!

Then again, I have the best of both words – perfect winters in Texas and perfect summers in Canada.