Throat Punched off the Boat

I have never been someone who sits idly by bobbing my head when I have been treated wrong. I stand up for injustice, speak out against discrimination, and refuse to accept no as an answer.

Fiercely dedicated when I have a goal I live to evoke change.

Change everywhere.

When I begin a project, a campaign for change; whether it be writing a letter of complaint or attempting to have a law changed, and someone snarls and tells me that I shouldn’t waste my time I get punchy.

When they pat my arm sympathetically and tell me not to worry about it, I get all kinds of jabby.

Words like “don’t rock the boat.“

Make me start doing ninja drop kicks.

Why does it matter that I want to make a difference? Does this make you uncomfortable? Does it keep you up at night?

What do you do when you see an injustice, or you’re treated unfairly, and when you want to see a change?

Do you challenge yourself to think differently, to look outside the box, and to feel your emotions?

Open your eyes!

Watch my throat punch coming straight at you!!

This is MY path and I choose to make a difference while I’m here.

I choose to stand up for my rights and the rights of others, to refuse to back down when I don’t agree, and to make my voice be heard.

I will always rock the boat!

31 Responses to Throat Punched off the Boat
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    August 25, 2011 | 5:11 am

And this is why you’re so fabulous!! We need more amazing women like you to rock the boat.

August 26, 2011 | 9:55 pm

Thank you Alison!
      I’m going to frame that!!

2. Amy
    August 25, 2011 | 7:16 am

I never thought you wouldn’t. All the good ones are boat rockers.

August 26, 2011 | 9:55 pm

You make me smile Amy!
      HUGE smiles!!

3. Lindsay
    August 25, 2011 | 7:31 am

GO GIRL
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in and nevermind those who think you should stand idly by.

I think you are my sister from another Mister….

{hugs!!}

August 26, 2011 | 9:54 pm

I don’t think I could stand by and let something go that was inappropriate to me even in I tried (within reason of course)

4. Jemima
    August 25, 2011 | 8:43 am

I need you at my son’s IEP meetings. Embrace your inner mummy bear!

August 26, 2011 | 9:52 pm

When I was a foster parent I had to attend IEP meetings and I have advocated for my cousin’s son as well. I KICK ASS in those meetings!!

August 25, 2011 | 10:30 am

BAM!

I will always remember how I was trying to encourage my sister to file for child support from the guy who ditched her when she was pregnant. She and my dad were always just saying, “Oh, we’ll never get anything from him…he always gets paid under the table…excuses excuses excuses” because it was going to take some effort. It’s easier just to sit back and do nothing. But you know what? Someday he WILL work a legit job, even if it’s 5 years down the road and he will have to pay that money.

And what about when she’s older and asks why her mother never tried to get money for her? Will she lie? PS They finally did it and he’s paying. I try hard not to say I told you sao.

August 26, 2011 | 9:50 pm

ACK! That’s always a kick in the nuts, when you’re right and know it!!

6. Hopes@Staying Afloat!
    August 25, 2011 | 6:27 pm

Good for you! If we had more boat rockers out there I think our world would be a different place!

August 26, 2011 | 9:48 pm

I wish there were more people who stood up for their beliefs, I really do.

7. Rach (DonutsMama)
    August 25, 2011 | 7:28 pm

Sometimes the boat needs rocking. I hear ya. I wish I had more courage sometimes.

August 26, 2011 | 9:47 pm

If you are comfortable rocking it then go for it but if you aren’t then you won’t like it.
      Some of my friends get very embarrassed in those situations.

8. Carri
    August 25, 2011 | 8:34 pm

You go! I’m the same way and I hate when my husband tells me to settle down. You’ll never get what you want if you’re sitting meekly in the corner!

August 26, 2011 | 9:46 pm

God Bless You Carri!
      I can’t stand nay sayers… just SHUT UP and let me do it myself!

9. Nic
    August 25, 2011 | 11:09 pm

That’s my girl!!! This is what makes you fabulous!!!!

August 26, 2011 | 9:42 pm

Love you xo

10. Amy
    August 26, 2011 | 12:03 am

I always admire people like you who can do that! I am so not a “boat rocker” and I’m actually trying to work on being a little more assertive!

August 26, 2011 | 9:42 pm

Our world needs a balance of both.
      and we have to support each other not beat one another down.

August 26, 2011 | 2:36 am

Good for you. Keep rocking that boat. The world needs more people like you.

August 26, 2011 | 9:41 pm

Thanks Jessica!
      You are one of the reasons I am grateful for blogging!

August 26, 2011 | 6:30 am

Amen to that. I wish I had your gonads. Like I got food poisoning from a restaurant and they still made me pay for my meal. I wanted to call the health board but chickened out.

August 26, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Anytime you want me to write a complaint letter for you dude I got your back!!
      I live for that shit!

13. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    August 26, 2011 | 1:10 pm

Woot! Good for you. Love you for it!

August 26, 2011 | 8:57 pm

Thank you!
      I love me for it too (a lot of people DO NOT)

14. Sweaty
    August 27, 2011 | 1:56 pm

You can start a revolution with a post like this. This stuff you wrote here, it’s pretty powerful!

August 28, 2011 | 12:33 pm

Thank you so much for your words.
      I get frustrated when people tell me not to bother trying to change things.

15. Jen {at} take2mommy
    August 27, 2011 | 6:22 pm

You GO with your awesome, boat-rocking self. The world needs people like you. No…the world needs tons of people like you.

August 28, 2011 | 12:31 pm

thank you so so much!
      That’s an awesome compliment!

16. Mom
    August 28, 2011 | 9:28 pm

I am so proud of you for being just the way you are. Rocking the boat is your way of fixing some of the injustices in this world and I applaud you for that. Love ya..

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/08/25/throat-punched-off-boat/trackback/

Throat Punched off the Boat

Fiercely dedicated when I have a goal I live to evoke change.

Change everywhere.

Words like “don’t rock the boat.“

Make me start doing ninja drop kicks.

Open your eyes!

Watch my throat punch coming straight at you!!

This is MY path and I choose to make a difference while I’m here.

I will always rock the boat!

31 Responses to Throat Punched off the Boat
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    August 25, 2011 | 5:11 am

August 26, 2011 | 9:55 pm

Thank you Alison!
      I’m going to frame that!!

2. Amy
    August 25, 2011 | 7:16 am

I never thought you wouldn’t. All the good ones are boat rockers.

August 26, 2011 | 9:55 pm

You make me smile Amy!
      HUGE smiles!!

3. Lindsay
    August 25, 2011 | 7:31 am

GO GIRL

I think you are my sister from another Mister….

{hugs!!}

August 26, 2011 | 9:54 pm

4. Jemima
    August 25, 2011 | 8:43 am

I need you at my son’s IEP meetings. Embrace your inner mummy bear!

August 26, 2011 | 9:52 pm

August 25, 2011 | 10:30 am

BAM!

August 26, 2011 | 9:50 pm

ACK! That’s always a kick in the nuts, when you’re right and know it!!

6. Hopes@Staying Afloat!
    August 25, 2011 | 6:27 pm

August 26, 2011 | 9:48 pm

I wish there were more people who stood up for their beliefs, I really do.

7. Rach (DonutsMama)
    August 25, 2011 | 7:28 pm

August 26, 2011 | 9:47 pm

Some of my friends get very embarrassed in those situations.

8. Carri
    August 25, 2011 | 8:34 pm

August 26, 2011 | 9:46 pm

God Bless You Carri!
      I can’t stand nay sayers… just SHUT UP and let me do it myself!

9. Nic
    August 25, 2011 | 11:09 pm

That’s my girl!!! This is what makes you fabulous!!!!

August 26, 2011 | 9:42 pm

Love you xo

10. Amy
    August 26, 2011 | 12:03 am

August 26, 2011 | 9:42 pm

Our world needs a balance of both.
      and we have to support each other not beat one another down.

August 26, 2011 | 2:36 am

Good for you. Keep rocking that boat. The world needs more people like you.

August 26, 2011 | 9:41 pm

Thanks Jessica!
      You are one of the reasons I am grateful for blogging!

August 26, 2011 | 6:30 am

August 26, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Anytime you want me to write a complaint letter for you dude I got your back!!
      I live for that shit!

13. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    August 26, 2011 | 1:10 pm

Woot! Good for you. Love you for it!

August 26, 2011 | 8:57 pm

Thank you!
      I love me for it too (a lot of people DO NOT)

14. Sweaty
    August 27, 2011 | 1:56 pm

August 28, 2011 | 12:33 pm

Thank you so much for your words.
      I get frustrated when people tell me not to bother trying to change things.

15. Jen {at} take2mommy
    August 27, 2011 | 6:22 pm

August 28, 2011 | 12:31 pm

thank you so so much!
      That’s an awesome compliment!

16. Mom