Working for a Living?

Note: This post was sent in to my local newspapers as a “Letter to the Editor” and as an Editorial piece for consideration. I am very passionate about creating change, especially when the needs of my community and my province are ignored.

On October 6, 2011 Canadians go back to the polls.

Issues such as health care, education, taxes, and whether Jack Layton’s untimely death will have an effect on the NDP’s numbers are all being discussed.

As an Ontario resident I have sent in my concerns to my MP and then my MPP only to be told that the issue will be addressed at a meeting.

A meeting that will be held soon.

Coincidentally there is an election coming up and that get-together hasn’t been held yet.

While I wait for that meeting, and my MPP promotes her candidacy, my childcare subsidy continues to be lowered due to my income increasing, and my daycare costs continue to skyrocket to over $900 a month.

Letters of concern, phone calls, and referrals have been exhausted while my family attempts to afford this cost. A cost that is not possible.

But the numbers say it is.

Our Gross income.

The government and agencies following the guidelines set out by the Ministry of Education have dictated that subsidy for daycare be determined by an individuals or family’s GROSS income. Money that we never see.

This amount is higher than our mortgage.

Ontario has increased the amount of funding dollars for employment programs, second career, and employment resource centres; they are encouraging individuals to utilize employment insurance for the purpose of retraining and education upgrades, and they are offering money for those interested in opening their own business.

All of this is in place to encourage Ontario residents to get back to work.

And then?

Once they do they will find themselves back in dept. Struggling to pay for daycare for their children.  Unsure of whether they should be enrolled in a registered or unregistered centre due to the cost. Confused with the push to find work by the government and the lack of support once they have it.

They will consider quitting so that they can have subsidy again.

This October 6, 2011 consider the above when you cast your vote.

The working poor.

Picture credit – Flickr Creative Commons

32 Responses to Working for a Living?
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    September 27, 2011 | 7:11 am

Leighann, I applaud you for standing up for change, and I do hope this gets published as an editorial. I also hope that this change you’re fighting for, comes to fruition. Let’s hope people do the right thing.

September 27, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Thank you Alison.
      Even if it isn’t published just the the support I’ve received here makes me feel like I’m making a difference!

2. Jenn@Fox in the City
    September 27, 2011 | 9:33 am

Well said Leighann, well said! The costs of daycare are insane and we are caught in a no-win situation. We need both salaries but there is barely any of my salary left once we pay for daycare. So, there are months when we have to go into debt to cover our bills. We are not fivolous with money but our bills keep getting higher, no matter how much we cut, and yet our income does not match.

September 27, 2011 | 9:35 pm

You and I?
      Same struggle.

September 27, 2011 | 10:00 am

I think it is great that you are doing something to take action for your community rather than just talking about it and not working for change which is always the easy road. Good for you Mama!

September 27, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Thank you Jessica.
      Even though I feel like my voice is not heard I am still trying.

September 27, 2011 | 10:06 am

I’m so proud of you!
    I hope that many read this.
    I for one am so bloody tired of elections that when I received a phone call from the Liberal riding, I said that I wasn’t voting at all…
    But I know that voting is a priviledge that a lot of places in the world do not have.
    I will vote…I will hate it…but I will

September 27, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Thank you! Thank you!
      I will vote too… because it’s my right and because I want my vote counted.
      BUT…
      I do not believe that it makes any difference.

5. Cindy
    September 27, 2011 | 1:18 pm

GOOD FOR YOU! You should be proud of yourself for writing that. Even though I don’t live in Canada (and didn’t understand some of the things you referred to like MP and MPP), I totally agree with everything you said. Hear that, U.S.? We have the same problems down here! Wonderful post.

September 27, 2011 | 9:32 pm

Thank you Cindy.
      MP stands for Member of Parliment and MPP stands for Member of Provincial Parliment
      They are the people who represent out province in government.
      The people who are supposed to make change and listen to us.

6. Brandi
    September 27, 2011 | 1:26 pm

So great that you’re standing up for what you believe in — if only I would do the same! I hope you’re actions are fruitful!

September 27, 2011 | 9:31 pm

Sometimes it can feel scary to stand up for something because of the fear of being criticized.
      I understand why many people don’t say more.

September 27, 2011 | 1:34 pm

Way to stand up for what you believe in. So many people complain, but don’t actually take action, and YOU are taking action. I hope your letter gets printed and that the powers that be take your words to heart. Keep us posted on this issue!

September 27, 2011 | 9:30 pm

Thank you my friend!
      I really hope someone listen’s too!
      I feel like giving up.

8. Rach (DonutsMama)
    September 27, 2011 | 4:31 pm

Even childcare here in the US is dicey. We really need more governments & businesses to be family friendly. It’s a hard balance.

September 27, 2011 | 9:29 pm

It seems like their agendas are so out of touch!
      Thank you for sympathizing Rach!

9. Nic
    September 27, 2011 | 6:24 pm

Very VERY well written!!! The truth here hurts and it’s so unfair! Something needs to change! I’m proud of you for voicing your concern and sharing this with others! Never give up until change occurs!!!

September 27, 2011 | 9:29 pm

Thank you so much Nic.
      That means a lot.

10. Cathy
    September 27, 2011 | 6:55 pm

Have you thought about sending this to the Toronto Star or Toronto Sun for more exposure? Excellent article. xoxoxox

September 27, 2011 | 9:28 pm

I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks for the idea.
      And?
      Thanks for the compliment.

September 27, 2011 | 10:43 pm

Good for you for standing up for something you believe in. Childcare here is just not doable for us. I wish things were easier.

October 2, 2011 | 9:28 am

That’s the way it is for a lot of families, I’m learning.
      Childcare is just not an option.

12. Bruna
    September 27, 2011 | 11:12 pm

Childcare costs are ridiculous. Good for you for taking a stand and saying something. Now if only someone would listen and make choices to benefit the working poor.

October 2, 2011 | 9:28 am

I hear yah!
      I feel like I have exhausted all of my resources!
      I wish someone would listen.

13. Hopes@Staying Afloat!
    September 28, 2011 | 9:46 am

I’m so proud of you for standing up and saying (writing) what you believe in! I hope it gets published.

October 2, 2011 | 9:23 am

Thank you!!… IT DID GET PUBLISHED!!

14. Runnermom-jen
    September 29, 2011 | 7:46 pm

Oh my gosh, that makes NO sense to me! And that is for only one child!! I wouldn’t be able to afford to work with 4 kids in daycare!
    I hope something gets resolved for you!

15. Julie @ mamamash
    September 29, 2011 | 11:19 pm

I hope the polls swing your way, Leighann.

16. Theresa
    September 30, 2011 | 10:55 am

What a great letter! I’m so glad they published it. I’m so proud of you!

17. katery
    October 2, 2011 | 1:28 pm

working poor, that would be me. there is no middle-class here in the states anymore. i cannot believe your daycare costs, we pay $550/month and it’s not subsidized, but even if it was, it would be before taxes, SO stupid (if we had to pay $900 i would not be able to work, i work a job that doesn’t pay much and is part-time). i don’t understand how or why anything can be determined based on gross income, it doesn’t even make sense! our take home is probably half of our gross income (maybe a TINY bit more).

18. Hazel
    October 2, 2011 | 2:16 pm

What a great letter. I live one province over (in Manitoba) and am as frustrated when it comes to childcare and government. I am still upset about the fact that Stephen Harper decided $100/month for Universal Childcare would shut people up and make them forget that we need to address this matter. My childcare costs are a little more reasonable (about $400/month) now that he is over 2, but I don’t get a subsidy because we earn too much.
    I hope things change for Ontario once this election is over next week.

19. Ontario? Wake Up! | Multitasking Mumma
    January 6, 2012 | 4:37 am

[…] But, as I’ve mentioned, we can’t afford them. […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/09/27/working-for-living/trackback/

Working for a Living?

On October 6, 2011 Canadians go back to the polls.

A meeting that will be held soon.

But the numbers say it is.

Our Gross income.

This amount is higher than our mortgage.

All of this is in place to encourage Ontario residents to get back to work.

And then?

They will consider quitting so that they can have subsidy again.

This October 6, 2011 consider the above when you cast your vote.

The working poor.

Picture credit – Flickr Creative Commons

32 Responses to Working for a Living?
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    September 27, 2011 | 7:11 am

September 27, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Thank you Alison.

2. Jenn@Fox in the City
    September 27, 2011 | 9:33 am

September 27, 2011 | 9:35 pm

You and I?
      Same struggle.

September 27, 2011 | 10:00 am

September 27, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Thank you Jessica.
      Even though I feel like my voice is not heard I am still trying.

September 27, 2011 | 10:06 am

I’m so proud of you!
    I hope that many read this.
    I will vote…I will hate it…but I will

September 27, 2011 | 9:34 pm

Thank you! Thank you!
      I will vote too… because it’s my right and because I want my vote counted.
      BUT…
      I do not believe that it makes any difference.

5. Cindy
    September 27, 2011 | 1:18 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:32 pm

Thank you Cindy.
      They are the people who represent out province in government.
      The people who are supposed to make change and listen to us.

6. Brandi
    September 27, 2011 | 1:26 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:31 pm

I understand why many people don’t say more.

September 27, 2011 | 1:34 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:30 pm

Thank you my friend!
      I really hope someone listen’s too!
      I feel like giving up.

8. Rach (DonutsMama)
    September 27, 2011 | 4:31 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:29 pm

It seems like their agendas are so out of touch!
      Thank you for sympathizing Rach!

9. Nic
    September 27, 2011 | 6:24 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:29 pm

Thank you so much Nic.
      That means a lot.

10. Cathy
    September 27, 2011 | 6:55 pm

September 27, 2011 | 9:28 pm

I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks for the idea.
      And?
      Thanks for the compliment.

September 27, 2011 | 10:43 pm

October 2, 2011 | 9:28 am

That’s the way it is for a lot of families, I’m learning.
      Childcare is just not an option.

12. Bruna
    September 27, 2011 | 11:12 pm

October 2, 2011 | 9:28 am

I hear yah!
      I feel like I have exhausted all of my resources!
      I wish someone would listen.

13. Hopes@Staying Afloat!
    September 28, 2011 | 9:46 am

October 2, 2011 | 9:23 am

Thank you!!… IT DID GET PUBLISHED!!

14. Runnermom-jen
    September 29, 2011 | 7:46 pm

I hope something gets resolved for you!

15. Julie @ mamamash
    September 29, 2011 | 11:19 pm

I hope the polls swing your way, Leighann.

16. Theresa
    September 30, 2011 | 10:55 am

What a great letter! I’m so glad they published it. I’m so proud of you!

17. katery
    October 2, 2011 | 1:28 pm

18. Hazel
    October 2, 2011 | 2:16 pm

I hope things change for Ontario once this election is over next week.

19. Ontario? Wake Up! | Multitasking Mumma