The Difference Between an Opinion and Hate

Pinterest

The wonderful thing about living in a Western society is that we have freedom of speech.

We can express our thoughts, feelings and opinions as much as we want without being imprisoned, ostracized, or stoned.

We can hold peaceful protest without being arrested.

We can write letters, articles, and blogs about our beliefs and viewpoints.

Uplifting people with our words.

But sometimes?

We harbour hate, discrimination, century old facts, and spiteful thinking.

Dangerously teaching our children that they will only be accepted if they fit into the cookie cutter views of our narrow-minds.

Last week I read a blog that began by discussing the writer’s views on speaking out.

She felt like she needed to do more of it.

She wanted her opinion heard; no more holding back.

I was excited! I love when people become fired up and want to evoke change.

But as I read more my heart began to pound and I was quickly filled with rage.

I encourage everyone to find their voice, to share their opinion, and to raise awareness. You never know when someone else’s view might enlighten you.

But this?

This was not an opinion.

Informing readers that homosexuality, abortion, and any other religion besides your own is wrong is discrimination.

It hurts my heart.

It turns my world red with uncontrollable anger.

It confuses me.

To the writer I ask,

Why the HELL does it matter to you who another person loves?

Who another person prays to?

Until you walk in another person’s shoes, are an active participant in that relationship, that marriage, or lay in that bed; until you have to make the decision to carry the baby that was conceived from a horrendous rape, you have NO right sticking your nose in this particular business and stating whether or not you approve.

It is not your life.

I am furious that this kind of hate is STILL written.

Understand THIS, haters.

It is NONE of your business!!

Now move along.
cookies_chronicles_BOTB_button

24 Responses to The Difference Between an Opinion and Hate
  1. Jenn @ Fox in the City
    September 29, 2011 | 2:33 pm

Well said, so well said!!

October 2, 2011 | 8:59 am

Thanks Jenn….
      I didn’t know how this post would be received.

• George Walker
      March 26, 2016 | 7:33 am

I can remember being 19 years old, very young and nieve. I was at a free clinic with my then gf getting a prgnancy test for her. The receptionist was asking me if we were going to keep the baby and I said yes without a doubt, I said I don’t believe in abortion unless a girl is raped and becomes pregnant. To my surprise she was in tears, and that’s when she told me she was a rape baby…..

2. katery
    September 29, 2011 | 2:40 pm

love this post!!

October 2, 2011 | 8:57 am

thank you! It was a gamble whether I should post it or not.

3. Julie @ mamamash
    September 29, 2011 | 2:44 pm

Amen, sister.

October 2, 2011 | 8:56 am

πŸ™‚ thank you Julie! xo

4. Amber
    September 29, 2011 | 2:57 pm

I totally agree with you on this. To each their own with these topics. There are things that we all have that we don’t agree with. This is one of the things that make us unique. No one in my book has the right to belittle someone else just because they don’t share their believe system on a subject. You agree to disagree. You don’t fight, you don’t spew hate.
    I’m behind on you this.

October 2, 2011 | 8:56 am

That’s why I generally don’t talk about religion, who I vote for, and how much I make.
      #1 it’s no ones business and #2 it causes arguments.

5. JessieLeigh
    September 29, 2011 | 3:00 pm

I love the spirit of this post and I absolutely agree that “hate” should never be cloaked as mere “opinion” and spewed forth over the world. As one who IS, as I always say, “unapologetically pro-life”, however, might I humbly suggest that sometimes that stance comes from a LOVE of all people, including the unborn, rather than a scathing hatred for women of a different opinion/situation? I’ve not read the post to which you refer and I have no way of knowing where she’s coming from… but I would hate to think that my conviction to respect the sanctity of life was being interpreted as a type of hatred…

October 2, 2011 | 8:55 am

You have voiced your opinion perfectly.
      You are pro-life, but you didn’t throw it in my face as though I was not accepted if I had a different opinion.
      Some people do not understand how to effectively write in a way to respect others.
      You have done this well in your comment!

6. Toni (MamaLikeMyMama)
    September 29, 2011 | 3:18 pm

This is the type of opinion I want to see.

Here here! Each to their own. I know my story and why it is right for me. I have no right and no will to judge someone else’s story. If they’re happy, so am I. I don’t care how they got to happy.

October 2, 2011 | 8:53 am

fantastic!
      That’s how I feel too.
      If they are happy that’s all that matters.

7. Alison@Mama Wants This
    September 29, 2011 | 6:47 pm

Well said and you rock!!

8. Emily Suess
    September 29, 2011 | 8:46 pm

I love you for writing this! πŸ™‚

October 2, 2011 | 8:46 am

I love YOU for reading!
      O-M-G… Emily Suess came to my blog!!

• Emily Suess
        October 2, 2011 | 9:29 am

LOL! You make it sound like I’m famous or something. I have you in my Google reader. πŸ™‚

9. Sarah @ The Fence
    October 2, 2011 | 1:26 pm

The truth is that life is hard! We all have things that we struggle with… as a result of choices we’ve made or the choices made by others. Being ugly to each other is no way to go thru life OR practice faith of any kind!

Thanks for linking this up with me for #SundayFunday!!!

10. Jen Has A Pen
    October 2, 2011 | 1:40 pm

This is infuriating. I work with college-aged students and I’m SHOCKED by the amount of racism, homophobia, and resistance of “different” I see from them on a daily basis. Not that I forgive my great grandmother for having the same feelings, but I understand that she knows no better. Twenty-somethings with the same sort of hate and ignorance confuse me. People, in general, with such closed minded opinions about what other people “should” do or who other people “should” love make me sad.

11. Cookie's Mom
    October 2, 2011 | 6:23 pm

I agree, Leighann. I get pretty enraged too when people whose lives are clearly incredibly dull and unfulfilling start to pick on minorities. I get angry when people assume that the only right/righteous way is their own. In the end, I simply have no time for these people. They are dinosaurs. Their day will come.

Thanks for linking up!

12. Coffee Lovin' Mom
    October 3, 2011 | 12:40 am

I have an uncle like this who my sister had a conversation with about different religions getting to heaven, because he doesn’t believe any but his own religion will get there..she compared it to how people study for tests differently but as long as they get the grade, it all works out – his response was “Life is not a test”.
    This from a man who is so involved in his church he lost his wife of 30 years over it and is so judgmental but completely blind that he is not sharing love. Thank you for sharing this – I totally feel the heart angst

October 5, 2011 | 9:51 pm

That’s how I feel – doesn’t matter how you study as long as you get the grade it all works out.

13. Lisa
    October 5, 2011 | 11:39 pm

Great post. Well said.
    Sometimes I think we have come so far in our thinking and being accepting and then I hear a conversation and I realize we still have a long way to go.

14. Mommy2Β’
    October 8, 2011 | 4:58 pm

I’m with you sista! It’s just never a good idea to write publicly about sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, etc. Especially in such a hateful way. That chick gets one big “NOT COOL” Bloggy judo chop to the throat!

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/09/29/difference-between-opinion-hate/trackback/

The Difference Between an Opinion and Hate

Pinterest

We can hold peaceful protest without being arrested.

We can write letters, articles, and blogs about our beliefs and viewpoints.

Uplifting people with our words.

But sometimes?

We harbour hate, discrimination, century old facts, and spiteful thinking.

She felt like she needed to do more of it.

She wanted her opinion heard; no more holding back.

I was excited! I love when people become fired up and want to evoke change.

But as I read more my heart began to pound and I was quickly filled with rage.

But this?

This was not an opinion.

It hurts my heart.

It turns my world red with uncontrollable anger.

It confuses me.

To the writer I ask,

Why the HELL does it matter to you who another person loves?

Who another person prays to?

It is not your life.

I am furious that this kind of hate is STILL written.

Understand THIS, haters.

It is NONE of your business!!

Now move along.
cookies_chronicles_BOTB_button

24 Responses to The Difference Between an Opinion and Hate
  1. Jenn @ Fox in the City
    September 29, 2011 | 2:33 pm

Well said, so well said!!

October 2, 2011 | 8:59 am

Thanks Jenn….
      I didn’t know how this post would be received.

• George Walker
      March 26, 2016 | 7:33 am

2. katery
    September 29, 2011 | 2:40 pm

love this post!!

October 2, 2011 | 8:57 am

thank you! It was a gamble whether I should post it or not.

3. Julie @ mamamash
    September 29, 2011 | 2:44 pm

Amen, sister.

October 2, 2011 | 8:56 am

πŸ™‚ thank you Julie! xo

4. Amber
    September 29, 2011 | 2:57 pm

I’m behind on you this.

October 2, 2011 | 8:56 am

#1 it’s no ones business and #2 it causes arguments.

5. JessieLeigh
    September 29, 2011 | 3:00 pm

October 2, 2011 | 8:55 am

You have voiced your opinion perfectly.
      You have done this well in your comment!

6. Toni (MamaLikeMyMama)
    September 29, 2011 | 3:18 pm

This is the type of opinion I want to see.

October 2, 2011 | 8:53 am

fantastic!
      That’s how I feel too.
      If they are happy that’s all that matters.

7. Alison@Mama Wants This
    September 29, 2011 | 6:47 pm

Well said and you rock!!

8. Emily Suess
    September 29, 2011 | 8:46 pm

I love you for writing this! πŸ™‚

October 2, 2011 | 8:46 am

I love YOU for reading!
      O-M-G… Emily Suess came to my blog!!

• Emily Suess
        October 2, 2011 | 9:29 am

9. Sarah @ The Fence
    October 2, 2011 | 1:26 pm

Thanks for linking this up with me for #SundayFunday!!!

10. Jen Has A Pen