More Thankful Than I have EVER Been

This weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada. Normally it would be the usual “I am thankful for family, my job, good friends.”

And I am.

But this weekend threw us a curve ball and made me more thankful than I have ever been.

On Friday we.. okay I.. gave our daughter peanut butter for the first time.

She was fine, at first, and continued to play and have fun, but she pulled on her ears a little and seemed a bit off. I texted Brian letting him know that we might have to take her to the clinic because she was acting strange.

Then my friend noticed the red splotches on her face.

Weird.

I still didn’t link it to the peanut butter, why would I, it’s not like her dad is allergic to peanut butter.

Wait.. yes he is.

So because she was rubbing at her ears a lot and Brian was going to be getting home from work I made the decision to leave my friends house.

The whole way home she rubbed her eyes and cried. Normally she would have fallen asleep. Again I chalked it up to teeth or a virus and prepared to take her to the clinic.

By the time I pulled in the driveway my 17 month olds face was swollen so badly that she couldn’t see out of her eyes.

Once we had driven to the emergency room she was screaming in pain and was swollen all over, covered in hives, and red. We had called 911 and asked them to call the hospital to tell them we were on the way.

My heart was pounding and I had never been so scared in my entire life.

My child was poked with needles, given oral meds, and had heart monitors on her.

My ears rang when they spoke the words PEANUT ALLERGY.

So much to learn, read, teach.

BUT, she was alive.

And right now that is what we are concentrating on.

She is alive and we are so very thankful.

69 Responses to More Thankful Than I have EVER Been
  1. Galit Breen
    October 11, 2011 | 6:14 am

Oh my, I have chills- so, so very scary! I’m so glad that you took her in!

October 11, 2011 | 2:21 pm

Thanks Galit.
      It was really scary, we have a lot to learn but are so glad she is ok.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    October 11, 2011 | 6:18 am

Oh poor baby!! I’m so glad she’s okay.

October 11, 2011 | 2:20 pm

thank you Alison.

3. Mama Track
    October 11, 2011 | 6:21 am

Oh, how scary! I’m so glad she’s okay. We are so careful about where we take nuts, just for this reason. You never know how someone else may react.

Hang in there!

October 11, 2011 | 2:20 pm

Thanks Natalie!
      We are so much more aware about everything she eats now and are learning everything we can.

4. Lady Estrogen
    October 11, 2011 | 6:33 am

I remember being terrified when we tried peanut butter for the first time. I think I had dialed 9-1 on the phone first. Luckily, they were fine. You just described my nightmare. So sorry, babe. Glad she’s doing well now! Hugs!

October 11, 2011 | 2:19 pm

I think I should have been more cautious and on alert than I was.
      We have a long road ahead of us.

5. Jenn @ Fox in the City
    October 11, 2011 | 7:21 am

That is terrifying. I am so happy that things turned out okay. Now the fun begins . . . educating yourself and everyone else around you about what is and is not safe.

October 11, 2011 | 1:50 pm

You’re so right Jenn! I am feeling so overwhelmed with all of the information out there.
      Luckily the blogging and twitter community have been great in pointing me to excellent resources.

6. Jordan
    October 11, 2011 | 8:44 am

This is TERRIBLE!! I had no idea it was that much of a scare. I’m really sorry you had to experience this! I’m so glad everything is alright now!! Scary stuff!!

October 11, 2011 | 1:49 pm

It was so frightening. I’m so glad that she is okay now.
      She is still experiencing some reaction but apparently that is normal for up to five days.
      We will have to be very careful and watch everything she eats from this point forward.

7. Julie @ mamamash
    October 11, 2011 | 9:49 am

Smart to call 911 and have the hospital ready, Mama! I’m glad she is just fine.

October 11, 2011 | 1:48 pm

Thank you Julie, we are still dealing with a bit of a reaction but apparently that is normal and can last up to five days.
      Our lives have certainly changed.

8. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    October 11, 2011 | 10:48 am

Oh my god, Leighann!! That is so scary. I’m glad you got it addressed quickly and at least now you know. Sorry this is something you have to deal with. 🙁

October 11, 2011 | 1:47 pm

Thanks Robin.
      That’s how we are thinking too; at least she was with us when it happened and not with someone who wouldn’t have known what it might have been from and wouldn’t know how to react.

9. Barbara
    October 11, 2011 | 12:15 pm

Thank God for His wonderful faithfulness to your family!

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more!

10. Mark
    October 11, 2011 | 12:31 pm

So very scary. I’m glad that she is alright.
    m.

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Thank you Mark!
      Missing your blog!!

11. Mommy's Paradise
    October 11, 2011 | 1:04 pm

This is really scary, I didn’t know peanuts can cause such a life threatening reaction. I’m sorry you all had to live through this, but you were lucky you caught it in time and she’s ok now.

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Many children and adults are deathly allergic to nuts. The allergist we were referred to will tell us how allergic she is and to what extent. Her dad is allergic to peanuts but not to the point that he has to rush to the hospital.
      This was a very bad allergic reaction and I’m glad we got to the hospital in time!

12. Amber
    October 11, 2011 | 2:47 pm

I hope that she turns out not to be on the extreme edge of the allergy. My daughter can’t even touch a peanut husk without ballooning up. But if she does turn out to be I’ve got a lot of helpful tips I can pass on. I’ve learned the ins and outs of all of this stuff thanks to my daughter.
    Good luck…

October 13, 2011 | 9:30 am

OMG I’m so sorry that you have to deal with this.
      I will be asking you for some tips.

13. KLZ
    October 11, 2011 | 3:44 pm

That’s the best thing to be thankful for, ever. I’m so glad for you.

October 13, 2011 | 9:29 am

Thanks KLZ.
      We’re so grateful that she’s doing okay now.

14. Kir
    October 11, 2011 | 3:53 pm

Oh my god…oh Leighann, that would scare me terribly. I was holdng my breath reading this..I am so glad she is ok. Thank God she is ok!

Wow, that’s something for all of us to be thankful for…your little girl is ok!

Hugs my friend.

October 13, 2011 | 9:29 am

Thank you Kir.
      It was a really scary night for us.

15. Cathy
    October 11, 2011 | 4:15 pm

I’m lucky enough to have 5 children and none with peanut allergies… can’t imagine the scare you had! Thankful it’s all ok today – and hoping you never have to deal with it again!!!!

Good luck!

Cathy

October 13, 2011 | 9:05 am

I really really hope we never have to deal with it again.
      I know the reality is that we probably will, but with a lot of education to our families hopefully the visits to the ER will be few

16. Roxanne
    October 11, 2011 | 6:14 pm

Oh goodness! I’m glad she’s okay. Hugs to you & her.

October 13, 2011 | 9:04 am

Thank you Roxanne.
      I love virtual hugs xo

17. Cathy
    October 11, 2011 | 6:54 pm

Now that she is starting to say more words, just teach her to say no peanut butter if someone gives her a cookie or a snack. She is very smart and will not take long to start repeating that phrase. Most adults know someone with this alergy and will not give her anything that would harm her. She’ll be just fine, and so will you. xoxoxox

October 13, 2011 | 9:03 am

Thanks Cathy xo

18. Lindsay
    October 11, 2011 | 7:39 pm

oh nooooo! I’m so sorry that this has happened, but SO happy that you caught it early… and with YOU, not at daycare, or with a Grandparent.
    The good thing? There are SO many peanut allergies out there now (sadly) that awareness is high, and products are generally well labeled.
    Wishing your peanut-free peanut well

October 13, 2011 | 9:03 am

I thought that too and then I started reading about the allergy and all of the things that peanuts are in that AREN’T labelled.
      I’m pretty overwhelmed.
      We just have to wait until our appointment with the allergist to find out the degree of her allergy.
      Le sigh.

October 11, 2011 | 9:51 pm

How scary! I’m glad she was with you when it happened and you were able to catch it. So sorry to hear that you are dealing with this, but she’s here. That’s what matters.

October 13, 2011 | 9:02 am

You’ve got it!
      Now we have to focus on educating our families and learning more about the allergy.
      Pretty overwhelming.

20. Stephanie
    October 11, 2011 | 10:00 pm

I am so happy that she is okay. Wish you didn’t have to deal with the peanut allergy at all, but so happy you caught it and she is still here!

October 13, 2011 | 9:01 am

We’re glad we caught it when we did too.
      We’re also happy that it was with us instead of at daycare or with someone else who wouldn’t have known what to do.

21. Alex@LateEnough
    October 11, 2011 | 10:01 pm

Omg! So glad she’s okay. That must’ve been one tough drive. {hugs}

October 13, 2011 | 9:00 am

I drove pretty fast.
      I don’t think I would have stopped if a police car had of attempted to pull me over.

22. WeeMasonMan's Mom
    October 11, 2011 | 10:01 pm

Oh my gosh, how scary!! I’m glad everything turned out okay. Basically the same thing happened to me when I was 2 – my mom gave me a peanut butter cookie and half an hour later, they were rushing to the ER. Now I’m 28 and still have a deathly allergy but it’s something I rarely ever think about because it’s just part of life for me. While such a scary allergy will change your life for awhile and the things your child will eat indefinitely, in a year or so, it won’t seem nearly as daunting as it is now. Hang in there!

October 13, 2011 | 8:59 am

When you were a kid was it something that everyone knew?
      Were you educated young or was it something that your mom looked after for you?

October 12, 2011 | 12:08 am

I can’t imagine how scary that must have been. I’m so glad she’s okay.
    I guess you can’t call her Peanut anymore. AntiPeanut? #badjoke

October 13, 2011 | 8:57 am

hehehe
      that’s what we said at the hospital.
      #toosoon?

October 12, 2011 | 1:40 am

How scary. Time to adjust. At least you figured it out before you went out of town on vacation or something like that.

October 13, 2011 | 8:57 am

That’s what we said too.
      So glad she wasn’t at daycare or with someone else who wouldn’t have known what to do.

25. JDaniel4's Mom
    October 12, 2011 | 5:01 am

This is such a terrible event. I can’t imagine having to rush my guy to the emergencey room. I am so glad she is going to be okay.

October 13, 2011 | 8:56 am

Thank you.. I’m glad she’s going to be okay too.
      Now we have to move on to educating our families and ourselves.
      That seems so overwhelming.

26. Bruce Peters
    October 12, 2011 | 8:01 am

Thank god for your quick reaction! So happy to hear that everything worked out. I think maybe parents have nine lives, most of them used up in worring about their children. Beyond this scare, I hope you and Brian and Scarlet are happy and healthy.

Love,
    Bruce

October 13, 2011 | 8:54 am

Thanks Bruce… we’re glad she’s okay too.. now we have to educate ourselves and everyone around us.

October 12, 2011 | 9:44 am

Oh no friend.
    That is the scariest thing ever.
    My girlfriend’s baby sister was deathy allergic to them and ended up having an anaphylactic reaction when someone used peanut oil to stir fry noodles.
    It was the scariest thing ever.
    It took me forever to give my son any nut product. And when I did I had a stock of benadryl on hand.
    So scary.

October 13, 2011 | 8:51 am

We’re scared now with everything we buy.
      I’m afraid that people in our lives aren’t taking it seriously enough and are just seeing as another “allergy”
      It will take awhile to really educate everyone.

28. Alexandra
    October 12, 2011 | 1:37 pm

I’m crying for you, girl.

Because, right now, I am remembering our first time.

I am so sorry.

BUT I AM HERE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2011 | 8:46 am

Thank you so much Alexandra!
      There are no words for how grateful I am to you for reaching out to me.
      I still feel a lot of anxiety about this new discovery and I feel like many people in our lives are not taking it seriously enough.
      I worry.
      I am so glad that there are people I can talk to and turn to for help.
      xo

29. Sweaty
    October 13, 2011 | 6:25 pm

Oh no, poor baby! But I’m glad she got treated properly and on time, and is now ok. It’s a scary way to find out about allergies, but still thankful that your baby girl’s ok!

October 15, 2011 | 1:57 pm

thank you! I’m glad we got treated quickly too.
      Hope you’re having a good vacation

30. Hazel
    October 15, 2011 | 3:55 pm

Scary stuff, so glad she is okay. Once you have had time to deal with it, hopefully it will be easier to wrap your head around.

My 2.5 yr old son has a peanut allergy. I know how frustrating and scary it can be dealing with a peanut allergy. Especially when you pick up your favourite food in the store, read the label and see the phrase “may contain nuts”.

31. Amy
    October 18, 2011 | 7:56 am

How scary! I am so glad you guys were able to come away from this somewhat ok. Its so good that you were with her when it happened.

32. Crystal
    October 19, 2011 | 8:05 pm

we found out the hard way our daughter was allergic to peanuts too!! one little reeses peices was all it took for us to know. thankfully it’s not so severe that a quick shot of benadryl can’t cure the problem but it still leaves me terrified.

this however wasn’t nearly as terrifying as when she developed a blood clot that no one detected until they opened her up to remove her appendix! turns out she had a clot in her small intestine and half the intestine had to be removed since it was dead. Those were the longest two weeks of my life! she is thankfully much better and being carefully monitored for any future clots!

October 24, 2011 | 9:19 pm

OMG how frightening.
      Hope that you never experience that again.

33. Year in Review, PPD, Mental Health, Love
    December 30, 2011 | 4:33 am

[…] was the month that we learned about our daughters Peanut allergy. We were lucky to have her with us when it was discovered but that didn’t make it any less […]

34. […] The Caterpillar on her Arm Written on January 11, 2012 by multitaskingmumma in dad, family, Mom, Peanut Free I will be removing Google Friend Connect in the coming weeks, please subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!We had been waiting for an appointment since October. […]

35. Eve
    January 11, 2012 | 12:59 pm

This sounds absolutely terrifying. I’m so sorry you had to find out that way, but I’m SO VERY glad she’s ok!!

January 11, 2012 | 9:15 pm

Thank you for coming over to read Eve!
      It was very scary but we’re glad she was with us instead of at daycare or with someone else.

36. […] to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!We have not been a peanut free home for long; only since October of this year. Before that the only one who watched their peanut intake was Brian and that was […]

37. […] Connect has been removed please subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting! When your child is diagnosed with a peanut allergy panic sets […]

38. This Halloween | Multitasking Mumma
    October 11, 2012 | 6:02 am

[…] had been 20 days since we’d found out that our daughter had a peanut allergy, and we were swimming in a sea of information, questions, and […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/10/11/more-thankful-than-i-have-ever-been/trackback/

More Thankful Than I have EVER Been

And I am.

On Friday we.. okay I.. gave our daughter peanut butter for the first time.

Then my friend noticed the red splotches on her face.

Weird.

Wait.. yes he is.

My heart was pounding and I had never been so scared in my entire life.

My ears rang when they spoke the words PEANUT ALLERGY.

So much to learn, read, teach.

BUT, she was alive.

And right now that is what we are concentrating on.

She is alive and we are so very thankful.

69 Responses to More Thankful Than I have EVER Been
  1. Galit Breen
    October 11, 2011 | 6:14 am

Oh my, I have chills- so, so very scary! I’m so glad that you took her in!

October 11, 2011 | 2:21 pm

Thanks Galit.
      It was really scary, we have a lot to learn but are so glad she is ok.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    October 11, 2011 | 6:18 am

Oh poor baby!! I’m so glad she’s okay.

October 11, 2011 | 2:20 pm

thank you Alison.

3. Mama Track
    October 11, 2011 | 6:21 am

Hang in there!

October 11, 2011 | 2:20 pm

Thanks Natalie!

4. Lady Estrogen
    October 11, 2011 | 6:33 am

October 11, 2011 | 2:19 pm

I think I should have been more cautious and on alert than I was.
      We have a long road ahead of us.

5. Jenn @ Fox in the City
    October 11, 2011 | 7:21 am

October 11, 2011 | 1:50 pm

6. Jordan
    October 11, 2011 | 8:44 am

October 11, 2011 | 1:49 pm

It was so frightening. I’m so glad that she is okay now.

7. Julie @ mamamash
    October 11, 2011 | 9:49 am

Smart to call 911 and have the hospital ready, Mama! I’m glad she is just fine.

October 11, 2011 | 1:48 pm

Our lives have certainly changed.

8. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    October 11, 2011 | 10:48 am

October 11, 2011 | 1:47 pm

Thanks Robin.

9. Barbara
    October 11, 2011 | 12:15 pm

Thank God for His wonderful faithfulness to your family!

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more!

10. Mark
    October 11, 2011 | 12:31 pm

So very scary. I’m glad that she is alright.
    m.

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

Thank you Mark!
      Missing your blog!!

11. Mommy's Paradise
    October 11, 2011 | 1:04 pm

October 11, 2011 | 1:46 pm

12. Amber
    October 11, 2011 | 2:47 pm

Good luck…

October 13, 2011 | 9:30 am

OMG I’m so sorry that you have to deal with this.
      I will be asking you for some tips.

13. KLZ
    October 11, 2011 | 3:44 pm

That’s the best thing to be thankful for, ever. I’m so glad for you.

October 13, 2011 | 9:29 am

Thanks KLZ.
      We’re so grateful that she’s doing okay now.

14. Kir
    October 11, 2011 | 3:53 pm

Wow, that’s something for all of us to be thankful for…your little girl is ok!

Hugs my friend.

October 13, 2011 | 9:29 am

Thank you Kir.
      It was a really scary night for us.

15. Cathy
    October 11, 2011 | 4:15 pm

Good luck!

Cathy

October 13, 2011 | 9:05 am

I really really hope we never have to deal with it again.

16. Roxanne
    October 11, 2011 | 6:14 pm

Oh goodness! I’m glad she’s okay. Hugs to you & her.

October 13, 2011 | 9:04 am

October 13, 2011 | 9:02 am

You’ve got it!
      Pretty overwhelming.

20. Stephanie
    October 11, 2011 | 10:00 pm

October 13, 2011 | 9:01 am

We’re glad we caught it when we did too.

21. Alex@LateEnough
    October 11, 2011 | 10:01 pm

Omg! So glad she’s okay. That must’ve been one tough drive. {hugs}

October 13, 2011 | 9:00 am

I drove pretty fast.

22. WeeMasonMan's Mom
    October 11, 2011 | 10:01 pm

October 13, 2011 | 8:59 am

When you were a kid was it something that everyone knew?
      Were you educated young or was it something that your mom looked after for you?

October 12, 2011 | 12:08 am

I can’t imagine how scary that must have been. I’m so glad she’s okay.
    I guess you can’t call her Peanut anymore. AntiPeanut? #badjoke

October 13, 2011 | 8:57 am

hehehe
      that’s what we said at the hospital.
      #toosoon?

October 12, 2011 | 1:40 am

October 13, 2011 | 8:57 am

That’s what we said too.

25. JDaniel4's Mom
    October 12, 2011 | 5:01 am

October 13, 2011 | 8:56 am

Thank you.. I’m glad she’s going to be okay too.
      Now we have to move on to educating our families and ourselves.
      That seems so overwhelming.

26. Bruce Peters
    October 12, 2011 | 8:01 am

Love,
    Bruce

October 13, 2011 | 8:54 am

October 12, 2011 | 9:44 am

Oh no friend.
    That is the scariest thing ever.
    It was the scariest thing ever.
    So scary.

October 13, 2011 | 8:51 am

We’re scared now with everything we buy.
      It will take awhile to really educate everyone.

28. Alexandra
    October 12, 2011 | 1:37 pm

I’m crying for you, girl.

Because, right now, I am remembering our first time.

I am so sorry.

BUT I AM HERE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2011 | 8:46 am

Thank you so much Alexandra!
      There are no words for how grateful I am to you for reaching out to me.
      I worry.
      I am so glad that there are people I can talk to and turn to for help.
      xo

29. Sweaty
    October 13, 2011 | 6:25 pm

October 15, 2011 | 1:57 pm

thank you! I’m glad we got treated quickly too.
      Hope you’re having a good vacation

30. Hazel
    October 15, 2011 | 3:55 pm

31. Amy
    October 18, 2011 | 7:56 am

32. Crystal
    October 19, 2011 | 8:05 pm

October 24, 2011 | 9:19 pm

OMG how frightening.
      Hope that you never experience that again.

33. Year in Review, PPD, Mental Health, Love
    December 30, 2011 | 4:33 am

35. Eve
    January 11, 2012 | 12:59 pm

January 11, 2012 | 9:15 pm

Thank you for coming over to read Eve!

38. This Halloween | Multitasking Mumma