A New Stage

Almost as if she was waiting for the day when my heart was ready; for the moment I had accepted that she was no longer a baby and was now a toddler, my daughter left my bed.

On her own she moved from the warmth of my side, tucked perfectly under my chin where I could smell her baby shampoo and sweet sleep, into her big girl bed.

For good.

No crying, no restlessness, and no frustration.

Just a new stage.

A natural progression that was supposed to happen in it’s own time, and it did.

I questioned my choices many times; whether I should have rocked her for so long, or if I should have just let her cry it out. I wondered if I was wrong to co-sleep.

But now that she is sleeping in her own bed?

I so grateful to have had those moments.

Snuggling her cubby cheeks close to mine while she slept, and rocking her to sleep while we read and sang every night.

Listening to her rhythmic breathing and soft baby snores.

Unwinding the tiny fingers from the strands of hair they had found while drifting off to sleep.

In the blink of an eye my baby is gone.

But my memories are here forever.

31 Responses to A New Stage
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    December 12, 2011 | 5:40 am

Oh so sweet. I too remember when Monkey moved to his own bed at 18 months – after co-sleeping for that long. I think it was harder on me than it was him. All these transitions are so bittersweet.

December 12, 2011 | 9:01 pm

I remember when he moved to his own bed.
      It is hard..
      Much harder on us.

2. Galit Breen
    December 12, 2011 | 8:27 am

Oh yes, those sweet stages, so very fleeting.

{Beautifully told}

xo

December 12, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Thank you Galit.
      Thank goodness each stage is just as delicious as the last.

3. Jenn@Fox in the City
    December 12, 2011 | 9:23 am

I so understand the questioning and the desire to push those fears down and just go with the flow! Both of my kiddos still enjoy the security and the love they feel by sleeping with us and so we are one big co-sleeping family.

I admit that I am looking forward to the day when we have our bed back for the two of us but that being said . . . my little guy does not snore nearly as loudly as his daddy!

December 12, 2011 | 8:55 pm

LOL, some days I wonder who snores louder…
      The hubs or my daughter.

4. Brianne
    December 12, 2011 | 11:38 am

Yeah! I wish I could have done the co-sleeping thing! SO jealous of all your sweet memories. All my sweet snuggle memories are super cherished!

December 12, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Many people can’t sleep with their babies… so many reasons for it!
      If my child had been a good sleeper and gone to bed in her own crib I would have drank that up!!

5. Alyssa @NearNormalcy
    December 12, 2011 | 11:38 am

Beautiful. I remember despairing that my daughter would never leave our bed, berating myself for not being “strong” enough to get her to sleep alone. And now? She’s 5 and wonderful and independent and confident and affectionate. And sleeps happily in her own bed. And I have nothing but precious memories of her sweet sleepy body curled up next to mine.

December 12, 2011 | 8:54 pm

Oh that is so wonderful to hear!!
      I can’t believe the things we heard when people would discover that we co-slept.
      They were so negative and encouraged us to stop it for her benefit.
      How wrong they were.

6. Nic
    December 12, 2011 | 11:48 am

So sweet!!!! So many great memories and do many things to look forward too!!!! Xoxo Nic

December 12, 2011 | 8:53 pm

Thanks Nic!
      You always believed in me and my parenting!

7. Rach (DonutsMama)
    December 12, 2011 | 1:59 pm

This is exactly why I’m ok with letting Donut in our bed sometimes. Because I’ll always have those snuggles and memories. I’m not going to let some sleep “expert” rob me or Donut of a sweet bond.

December 12, 2011 | 8:50 pm

That’s right!
      The books don’t know you, other parents don’t know you, and older generations don’t know you!
      You know you and you know your child.
      Good for you for listening to your instinct.

8. Mommy2¢
    December 12, 2011 | 2:01 pm

That was precious! It is amazing how fast they grow, isn’t it?!

December 12, 2011 | 8:49 pm

I remember wondering when the baby stage would get easier and now it’s over.
      Sigh.

9. katery
    December 12, 2011 | 2:42 pm

aw, co-sleeping is an admirable choice, i never would have slept if i did it, but i am envious of those who do. i love that baby shampoo smell and i think cio is kind of cruel, we always rocked louise when she woke in the night. at some point we did let her cry (or fake cry) a little, but it was when she was older.

December 12, 2011 | 8:48 pm

We tried to let her cry a bit but she wound herself up soooo much that it wasn’t worth it.
      I didn’t see the point in standing right outside my child’s door while she cried for me.
      You are right, it seems cruel.

10. Natalie @ Mama Track
    December 12, 2011 | 3:01 pm

What a lovely way for the transition to occur. On her schedule. With beautiful memories and feelings for you both. I’m so happy for your family–for the past and the future!

December 12, 2011 | 8:45 pm

Thank you Natalie.
      It has been trial and error but I’m so glad that it worked out this way.

11. Julie
    December 12, 2011 | 4:32 pm

Is it a toddler bed or a crib? I’m not looking forward to transitioning our kiddo out of the crib at all. Wonder how long I can keep him in there?

December 12, 2011 | 8:44 pm

it’s a toddler bed.
      My daughter was petrified of her crib and barely slept in it.
      The toddler bed is awesome!!

12. Miss Marina Star
    December 12, 2011 | 9:37 pm

This is so beautiful it makes me want to have another baby. That is all.

December 13, 2011 | 1:31 am

Sounds like she made the transition very easy. My toddler is still refusing to sleep in her own bed but I’m not pushing it to much because this is my last baby so I’m enjoying the cuddles I get for now.

December 13, 2011 | 7:49 pm

When I was really struggling with my decision I always thought of you.
      You are so confident in your decision and that made me confident in mine.
      Thank you.

December 13, 2011 | 1:43 am

My toddler still sleeps with me every night and I’m not pushing him to move just yet. I’m enjoying the cuddles. Despite what everyone else tells me to do, I know our extra time and those late night rocks in our chair are worth it.

December 13, 2011 | 7:48 pm

So worth it!
      When he’s 18 he won’t want to cuddle with you and there won’t be any holding him in your lap to rock him.
      Don’t listen to anyone… just your heart.

15. Elena
    December 13, 2011 | 5:38 pm

This was beautiful. Although Principessa was never in my bed, she was in our room, and I remember the first night she slept in her crib all on her own. Now, I love to go in and look at her seven year old self (not in a crib anymore) sleeping in her big girl bed, and I just smile.

December 13, 2011 | 6:20 pm

My daughter started out in her bassinet in our room… then in a playpen in our room, and then she went to her own room… but that didn’t last long at all.
      I can’t imagine age seven.
      I know I will look back at this comment and laugh at how fast it went by.

16. Sweaty
    December 13, 2011 | 6:35 pm

Oh Leighann, how time flies! I still remembered cradling my baby to sleep and holding her in my arms for hours in a rocker chair during rainy and stormy seasons. And now she’s seven, all chatterbox and smartipants. *sigh*

Those moments that you described above, between you and your precious daughter are what makes motherhood such a beautiful thing.

17. Crystal
    December 14, 2011 | 9:03 pm

I have the opposite problem. My daughter never co slept when she was born. Had her own bed from day one. she’ll go to sleep in her own bed every night and yet when I wake up in the AM there she is snuggled next to me!! Normally not a prob unless the hubs is home and/or i get a karate kick to my kidneys. then i ship her back to her own bed!!