Multitasking Through 2011

January

The beginning of my blogging career. I started because I needed an outlet; a way to connect with other mothers who were struggling with PPD and mental health issues. Little did I know I would meet so many supportive survivors, fighters, and people who care, or that I would come to rely on this space so much for piece of mind.

February

Winter arrived and we began to dig ourselves out of heaps of snow. This is when I started to reveal my PPD to my family and friends and openly discuss what I had gone through.

March

March meant that I had 6 weeks left until I went back to work full-time. Every day I counted down the days I had left to spend with my daughter, the days left I had to rock her sweet chubby body to sleep and the days I had left to watch every single milestone blossom. The anticipation of going back mixed with the guilt of leaving my child was torture.

April

The day I went back to work my daughter turned one. Her first day of daycare was her first birthday. She loved daycare, the children, and the socializing.  I loved being back at work at a job that I was passionate about and felt my depression drifting away as I found myself again.

May

May brought beautiful family walks at the park, laughter, and an energy level I hadn’t felt in a long time. I was beginning to believe I had beaten PPD.

June

Our first summer in our new house. We worked feverishly on our pool to get it to a colour that didn’t look like swamp water and spent hours outside on the gardens. It was heaven and I felt like me again.

July

Hours by the pool, time spent at Grandparents’, and relaxing outside. We watched our little baby suddenly become a little girl. Bittersweet.

August

In August I celebrated being a PPD survivor and beating a depression that I wasn’t sure I’d make it through by getting a new tattoo. The peacock feather symbolizes pride and was a permanent reminder of what I had overcome.

September

In September we took our daughter to her first fair where she experienced her first ferris wheel ride, livestock show, and sounds from the derby. We ate apples from the orchard and played in hay, discovered new trails and went on adventures.

October

October was the month that we learned about our daughters Peanut allergy. We were lucky to have her with us when it was discovered but that didn’t make it any less frightening. Her having just a taste of peanut butter sent us flying to the hospital at top speed with 911 on the phone. She was in emergency for over 6 hours and it took 5 days for the nut to completely leave her body. Our world changed completely that day.

November

In November I began noticing that I hadn’t been happy in a while. I was angry a lot, always irritable, and my anxiety had increased dramatically. I ignored it.

I also celebrated a birthday but tried to pretend it didn’t happen. My dear friend Lady E over at Adventures in Estrogen would not allow that so she dedicated a wonderful post to me. I still read it to cheer myself up.

December

Although I am a PPD survivor and have overcome that depression it does not mean that I am immune to any other form of mental illness.  So in December I asked for help. I admitted that something was wrong, that I was on a downward spiral, and went to the doctor.

I also enjoyed my family.

I accepted myself for who I am right now.

The crazy me.

I reflected.

And I began to look forward to 2012.

40 Responses to Multitasking Through 2011
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    December 30, 2011 | 7:53 am

What a huge year it’s been for you, Leighann.

Trust at 2012 will be a good one, a better one. Happy new year, sweet friend. xo

January 2, 2012 | 10:05 am

Alison, I am so glad that we met and connected.
      I am so honoured to be friends with you, to have been featured on your blog, and to watch Monkey grow up.
      Cant wait to see that new bundle.

2. Julie
    December 30, 2011 | 10:10 am

It’s amazing the journey that can happen in just a year. That tattoo is just gorgeous, btw.

Love you lots, Leighann! Take care.

January 2, 2012 | 10:02 am

Love you times a million hundred.
      Good luck to you and your gorgeous family on your new journey.
      I will be thinking of you xo

3. Amber
    December 30, 2011 | 10:42 am

Your review is awesome. I’m enjoying reading these and seeing what all I missed through out the year. I love tattoos and the one you got to celebrate is beautiful.

January 2, 2012 | 10:01 am

Thank you Amber!
      I’m so glad we met and I got to come along on your journey from trailer park to home.
      From hospital stays and recovery.
      You are a bright light.

4. Mark
    December 30, 2011 | 3:12 pm

Since that tattoo isn’t of a butterfly, you’re still okay in my book.
    Happy New Year!
    m.

5. Lady Estrogen
    December 30, 2011 | 8:25 pm

Still loving that tat – like, whoa 🙂
    I’ll come along the journey with you, darling.
    Here’s to 2012.

• Lady Estrogen
      December 31, 2011 | 2:24 pm

Thanks for the addition – it was fun to do it for you 🙂

January 1, 2012 | 9:26 pm

You’re a good friend!
        You did more for me than some of my real life friends.
        That makes you tops!

January 2, 2012 | 9:57 am

I’ll be there with you.
      Holding your hand and screaming the whole way!

6. Galit Breen
    December 30, 2011 | 11:47 pm

This is stunning, inspiring, transparent, and true- a perfect reflection of *you.* I feel so very lucky to have met you this year, my friend. Watch out 2012- here we come! xo

January 2, 2012 | 9:56 am

Thank you Galit.
      I’m so glad that we connected and became friends.
      You are a daily inspiration and a mother I look up to.

7. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    December 31, 2011 | 12:30 am

So proud of all you’ve done this year and all you’ve shared of yourself. You have been a big part of both my PPD journey and my blogging journey and I will always be endlessly grateful for that. xo

January 2, 2012 | 9:54 am

You and I?
      We’ve been through a lot of crap this past year.
      I look to you for support and guidance.
      You are a warrior and a survivor.
      You are strength and empowerment.
      You are a wonderwoman.
      And you can do anything.
      I’m so proud of you.

8. Sweaty
    December 31, 2011 | 1:31 pm

What a year it’s been, girlfriend! It’s amazing how quickly time flies and yet when we looked back, so much has happened in the span of one year. I’m happy for every step forward you’ve made, Leighann. You’ve come a long way! And more importantly, you were quick to seek help when you felt that something was off–THAT took a lot of courage and honesty.

Thanks for being such a great friend, and I’m glad 2011 brought me to you. Wishing you, Brian, and your precious daughter good times, good cheer, and a happy new year!

January 1, 2012 | 9:29 pm

And I am so glad that 2011 brought me to you and your adorable mystery child.
      You are such an inspiration to me and to everyone that reads your blog.
      Keep your head up and a little anger for when you need it.
      I’m so proud of you!

9. Ali
    December 31, 2011 | 2:36 pm

Eww. I’ll skip February. But DECEMBER!!! OMG how cute. Happy New Year to my favorite Canadian.

January 1, 2012 | 9:25 pm

OMG.. yes, February would be uncomfortable for you.
      I think our July would be cold for you too.

10. Chibi Jeebs
    December 31, 2011 | 7:33 pm

Mental illness is… rough. Good on you for accepting yourself – that’s awesome. Love the tattoo, too! 🙂

January 1, 2012 | 9:24 pm

You’re right.
      It’s tough.
      I’m not full of acceptance but I’m getting help.

11. Lindsay
    January 1, 2012 | 12:49 am

You know… I didn’t know you had gotten the tattoo. I got mine for the same sort of reason… symbolizing someone beautiful emerging from the ashes of something ugly.
    Just one more thing that keeps me loving you 🙂

Here’s to 2012 – may it be everything and more than we need it to be.

You’re a very brave woman Leighann… not a lot of people have the courage to ask for help, let alone talk openly to other people about it.

You are one of the inspirational people I look to … Happy New Year.

January 1, 2012 | 9:21 pm

What did you get?

And?
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment.
      It made me weepy.
      You are going to kick ass in 2012!

January 1, 2012 | 11:44 am

Oh how i love the crazy you.
    And that tattoo.
    I’m itching for a “survival” one.
    I wish you all the best in 2012…lots of good health.
    xoxo

January 1, 2012 | 9:20 pm

DO IT!
      Oh lets just meet in Niagara Falls and get one together!

13. Kindred Adventures
    January 1, 2012 | 12:39 pm

You didn’t tell me this post was going to brings to tears. This is absolutely beautiful and you are amazing. What a full year you had. You are resilient, thoughtfully reflective, you listen to yourself and you passion for your family and you life makes me smile for you. Happy New Year to a wonderful new friend xoxox -Laverne

January 1, 2012 | 9:19 pm

You are seriously the sweetest person EVER!!
      Thank you for always having such kind things to say.
      You are the best!
      Happy New Year! xo

January 1, 2012 | 2:53 pm

I can’t believe all that snow in Feb. Love the April picture.

I hope 2012 is kick ass for you.

January 1, 2012 | 9:18 pm

I know! But we have no snow right now, it all melted away.
      I love snow!

15. imperfectmomma
    January 1, 2012 | 7:41 pm

2012 will be full of major awesomeness! Much love to you fellow ppd ninja!

January 1, 2012 | 9:17 pm

Thank you!!
      We will rock 2012!

16. Samantha at ShesNotBroken
    January 1, 2012 | 10:15 pm

Beautiful tattoo. That’s such a great symbol for overcoming PPD. I feel for your daughter. It’s scary enough to be an adult with a severe allergy; I can’t imagine how much harder it would be as a little kid.

January 2, 2012 | 9:51 am

Thank you!
      We’re teaching her to say “no peanuts” so that when she’s at a friends house or we’re out at a gathering she can say no.
      It takes a lot of monitoring and educating.

17. Elena
    January 1, 2012 | 11:15 pm

2012 will be a great year for you and your peacocks! I can feel it. So glad you were with your little girl when the peanut allergy was found out. What a scary situation. Is it bad to say I’d love some of that snow from February right now? I guess I’m just craving it because we haven’t had any so far.

January 2, 2012 | 9:50 am

I’d love that snow too.
      We’ve had some but then then rain took it all away, now we’ve been left with freezing rain.

January 1, 2012 | 11:26 pm

The September picture of B and S is pure perfection.

The best part about you starting a blog? We got to be friends! 🙂 Happy new year, my dear friend.

January 2, 2012 | 9:49 am

Agreed!
      So glad that we met.
      You are a such a wonderful friend and support! Love those kids and that wickedly funny husband of yours!
      xoxoxo

19. Miss Marina Star
    January 4, 2012 | 2:36 pm

What a year. I can relate to feeling like you’ve conquered something, only to find yourself struggling with another aspect of the same obstacle. Denial is often more difficult than acceptance though, so I’m happy that you are reaching out for help. This new episode should never overshadow the pride you felt when you got your tattoo. You are a fighter and so much braver than I with your words.

January 4, 2012 | 8:33 pm

You said it perfectly.
      I am so proud that I beat PPD, and that’s why I got the tattoo…
      This sadness is something else. It’s a different kind of depression.
      Thank you for recognizing what I was expressing in my post.

20. Elaine
    January 4, 2012 | 10:19 pm

Wow, what a year, huh? Your tattoo is amazing, truly. And so are you. I’m thinking of you and hoping that 2012 brings you to an even better place. xo

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2011/12/30/multitasking-through/trackback/

Multitasking Through 2011

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

I also enjoyed my family.

I accepted myself for who I am right now.

The crazy me.

I reflected.

And I began to look forward to 2012.

40 Responses to Multitasking Through 2011
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    December 30, 2011 | 7:53 am

What a huge year it’s been for you, Leighann.

January 2, 2012 | 10:05 am

Alison, I am so glad that we met and connected.
      Cant wait to see that new bundle.

2. Julie
    December 30, 2011 | 10:10 am

Love you lots, Leighann! Take care.

January 2, 2012 | 10:02 am

Love you times a million hundred.
      Good luck to you and your gorgeous family on your new journey.
      I will be thinking of you xo

3. Amber
    December 30, 2011 | 10:42 am

January 2, 2012 | 10:01 am

Thank you Amber!
      From hospital stays and recovery.
      You are a bright light.

4. Mark
    December 30, 2011 | 3:12 pm

Since that tattoo isn’t of a butterfly, you’re still okay in my book.
    Happy New Year!
    m.

5. Lady Estrogen
    December 30, 2011 | 8:25 pm

Still loving that tat – like, whoa 🙂
    I’ll come along the journey with you, darling.
    Here’s to 2012.

• Lady Estrogen
      December 31, 2011 | 2:24 pm

Thanks for the addition – it was fun to do it for you 🙂

January 1, 2012 | 9:26 pm

You’re a good friend!
        You did more for me than some of my real life friends.
        That makes you tops!

January 2, 2012 | 9:57 am

I’ll be there with you.
      Holding your hand and screaming the whole way!

6. Galit Breen
    December 30, 2011 | 11:47 pm

January 2, 2012 | 9:56 am

Thank you Galit.
      I’m so glad that we connected and became friends.
      You are a daily inspiration and a mother I look up to.

7. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    December 31, 2011 | 12:30 am

January 2, 2012 | 9:54 am

You and I?
      We’ve been through a lot of crap this past year.
      I look to you for support and guidance.
      You are a warrior and a survivor.
      You are strength and empowerment.
      You are a wonderwoman.
      And you can do anything.
      I’m so proud of you.

8. Sweaty
    December 31, 2011 | 1:31 pm

January 1, 2012 | 9:29 pm

And I am so glad that 2011 brought me to you and your adorable mystery child.
      You are such an inspiration to me and to everyone that reads your blog.
      Keep your head up and a little anger for when you need it.
      I’m so proud of you!

9. Ali
    December 31, 2011 | 2:36 pm

January 1, 2012 | 9:25 pm

OMG.. yes, February would be uncomfortable for you.
      I think our July would be cold for you too.

10. Chibi Jeebs
    December 31, 2011 | 7:33 pm

January 1, 2012 | 9:24 pm

You’re right.
      It’s tough.
      I’m not full of acceptance but I’m getting help.

11. Lindsay
    January 1, 2012 | 12:49 am

Just one more thing that keeps me loving you 🙂

Here’s to 2012 – may it be everything and more than we need it to be.

You are one of the inspirational people I look to … Happy New Year.

January 1, 2012 | 9:21 pm

What did you get?

And?
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment.
      It made me weepy.
      You are going to kick ass in 2012!

January 1, 2012 | 11:44 am

Oh how i love the crazy you.
    And that tattoo.
    I’m itching for a “survival” one.
    I wish you all the best in 2012…lots of good health.
    xoxo

January 1, 2012 | 9:20 pm

DO IT!
      Oh lets just meet in Niagara Falls and get one together!

13. Kindred Adventures
    January 1, 2012 | 12:39 pm

January 1, 2012 | 9:19 pm

You are seriously the sweetest person EVER!!
      Thank you for always having such kind things to say.
      You are the best!
      Happy New Year! xo

January 1, 2012 | 2:53 pm

I can’t believe all that snow in Feb. Love the April picture.

I hope 2012 is kick ass for you.

January 1, 2012 | 9:18 pm

I know! But we have no snow right now, it all melted away.
      I love snow!

15. imperfectmomma
    January 1, 2012 | 7:41 pm

2012 will be full of major awesomeness! Much love to you fellow ppd ninja!

January 1, 2012 | 9:17 pm

Thank you!!
      We will rock 2012!

16. Samantha at ShesNotBroken
    January 1, 2012 | 10:15 pm

January 2, 2012 | 9:51 am

Thank you!
      It takes a lot of monitoring and educating.

17. Elena
    January 1, 2012 | 11:15 pm

January 2, 2012 | 9:50 am

I’d love that snow too.

January 1, 2012 | 11:26 pm

The September picture of B and S is pure perfection.

January 2, 2012 | 9:49 am

Agreed!
      So glad that we met.
      xoxoxo

19. Miss Marina Star
    January 4, 2012 | 2:36 pm

January 4, 2012 | 8:33 pm

You said it perfectly.
      I am so proud that I beat PPD, and that’s why I got the tattoo…
      This sadness is something else. It’s a different kind of depression.
      Thank you for recognizing what I was expressing in my post.

20. Elaine