Ontario? Wake Up!

I love our daycare.

I can’t tell you enough how safe I feel leaving my daughter in their capable hands.

But, as I’ve mentioned, we can’t afford them.

We were cut off from full subsidy five months ago, due to our income being too high, and in that time have accumulated $4,000 in debt because of the cost.

According to their assessment guides we can afford the cost of daycare.

Because they judge by gross income.

Silly cows.

That money doesn’t go in my account; it goes back to the government.

I attempted to make one last ditch attempt at pleading my case to the subsidy worker who had been assigned to me after the daycare called me at work to “discuss” my bill.

The daycare offered me three options; move my daughter down to part time, pay my bill, or take her to another daycare.

My heart broke into a million pieces and tears welled up in my eyes.

We don’t have anyone to watch her part time, we can’t pay the bill in full, and we love our daycare.

So I made the call to the subsidy office.

Her response to my tearful pleas?

“Oh, is that right. Well, there’s nothing I can do. I know how you feel. And you need to send in the letter from your husband’s employer.”

Thanks.

Why isn’t anyone listening?

We don’t have the money to pay! We DO qualify for subsidy! Just because my T4 says that I make X amount of dollars does not mean that I don’t have a mortgage, 2 car payments, an oil bill, hydro, phone bill, car and house insurance, tax bill, diapers, food, gas, and life to pay for!

Ontario!! Wake Up!

Your residents are struggling and drowning while you ignore us.

Let's BEE Friends

49 Responses to Ontario? Wake Up!
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 6, 2012 | 8:00 am

That sucks big time. I’m so sorry for your situation. I hope you find a solution. I know that sounds empty, I wish I could say/ do more. I really do. Sigh. Hugs, Leighann.

January 6, 2012 | 11:34 pm

I think we may have found a solution, thanks Alison.
      We’re still going to try to change the subsidy assessment criteria that the ministry sets out but that will take a long time.

2. Aubrey Anne
    January 6, 2012 | 8:47 am

I wrote an almost identical post recently about medicaid. We can’t afford life, but according to the government we can, so there’s not a damn thing they can do for us. And when I call in tears, they say, “You’ll need to send us more paperwork.” They seem to be trained not to care. I’m so sorry. I really do know how you feel. 🙁

January 6, 2012 | 11:32 pm

It really is as thought the workers become jaded because they hear the same pleas day in and day out.
      They begin to not care anymore.

3. Bruce Peters
    January 6, 2012 | 9:01 am

We looked at our daycare costs as a second rent. It was almost exactly the same amount. That’s why we didn’t move into a house until Sophia was finished daycare. The government acts like it doesn’t want people to have children. I guess they want to solve declining birth rates entirely through immigration. And, they’re too busy giving tax breaks and bail outs to large corporations to have any $$ left over for helping regular people.

January 6, 2012 | 11:31 pm

Do you know why I love you?
      I love you because you get it!
      YOU out of everyone in the world get what I’m talking about and you get as fueled up as I do.
      xo

4. Mark
    January 6, 2012 | 9:05 am

Sorry that’s happening to you. I’m hoping for the best for you. And really, your income is too high? I didn’t know I was hob-knobbing with the rich and famous here.
    m.

January 6, 2012 | 11:30 pm

Hardly the rich and famous.
      I don’t get my gross income. It just looks pretty on paper.

5. imperfectmomma
    January 6, 2012 | 10:19 am

I am so sorry that is happening to you. Wish I could help you 🙁 I pray things get better for you quickly. Wish the government would get a clue. They do suck…both of our governments

January 6, 2012 | 11:27 pm

It’s ridiculous that we have the systems that we do.

6. Miss Marina Star
    January 6, 2012 | 10:30 am

I can totally relate. We spend an exorbitant amount of money on Asher’s daycare while I was working and going to school full time. I honestly don’t know how we did it. I hope you are able to find some peace, and a solution soon. I know that moving schools can be heartbreaking – more so for parents.

January 6, 2012 | 11:23 pm

My cousin’s son’s name is Asher!
      Love that name!
      So unique.

Thank you for your comment! xo

7. Paulette (MsPDrama)
    January 6, 2012 | 1:33 pm

Sucks. Sorta been there done that. Honest to goodness I have no earthly idea why anything is based on gross income rather than net. Hope it gets better for ya.

January 6, 2012 | 11:22 pm

I know right?
      How come we all know this but it doesn’t change?

January 6, 2012 | 2:13 pm

Is it wrong of me to say that Ontario is reminding me of America…not that there is anything wrong with Amercia…it’s just that our system used to care a lot about the people. Heck, we as a country are still envisioned that our government comes to each and every citizen’s house every morning and makes us breakfast.
    So not true.
    I don’t get that daycare thing.
    I don’t get how we have to wait 3427395275 fucking days to see a doctor.
    I don’t know why us residents in Ontario pay 13% in taxes on EVERY purchase. Alberta only pays 5%.
    WHAT THE FUCK.
    This post makes me angry.
    Not at you.
    But the fucktards in government.
    I’m looking at you Stephen Harper and your shitty combover.

January 6, 2012 | 11:20 pm

I wrote a letter to Mr. Harper.
      He office wrote me back and told me it wasn’t an area he covers.
      Ummm.
      Isn’t he the Prime Minister?
      The Leader of the Country?
      Doesn’t he cover all the areas?
      So next I just go to God.

9. Bruna
    January 6, 2012 | 2:29 pm

Wow. Frustrating. I would be pissed off. Daycare IS expensive. We just stopped bring the girls to daycare but they were only part-time. Luckily for me, my sister offered to watch them one day and my parents the other. Hubby works one day from home so he covers the third day. It felt like I was working part-time to pay for part-time daycare. What was the point? I feel your frustration. I hope you figure something out. *Hugs*

January 6, 2012 | 11:18 pm

So many parents have had to leave jobs or having family watch their children because of the cost.
      It’s sad.

10. MommaKiss
    January 6, 2012 | 4:25 pm

I promise not to bitch about Canada {or America} but the whole ‘based on gross pay’ is just, well, gross! Seriously. Makes zero sense to me. I wish you find a solution, seriously. Virtual smooch to you, girl.

January 6, 2012 | 11:13 pm

I think it is ridiculous that anything is based on gross pay!
      Why they would ever do that is beyond me.
      Pure Stupidity.

11. Amber
    January 6, 2012 | 8:32 pm

That just down right makes me angry that they aren’t even trying to help you guys out. I mean come on people! How do they expect people to go out and make a living when they can’t afford to put their child in daycare. Instead you kick the child out and make the family suffer. I swear they are nothing but idiots in the public offices. But hell why should they care. I mean they have child care right? Oh I swear where’s my machete…I mean wait what I mean lets talk about this calmly. Ya that’s it. Calmly.

January 6, 2012 | 11:09 pm

Makes me angry too. So angry. I’m tired of not being listened to. Thank you for sympathizing!

12. Galit Breen
    January 6, 2012 | 11:40 pm

I’m so sorry to read this. So frustrating!

13. Lindsay
    January 7, 2012 | 9:21 am

I, too, lost my subsidy…
    It’s not fair, because like you said… yes, I might make a certain amount of money, but #1 income tax is ridiculously high #2 the basic essentials are SO expensive that it’s impossible to keep your head above water.
    This year has been particularly silly because of the implementation of HST… the wonderful Canadian government’s way of inflicting even MORE tax on us….
    It’s even worse when the provider you use is fabulous.
    No wonder people go postal in this country.
    I hope the government wakes up soon and realizes that it’s not doing us any favours.

January 7, 2012 | 10:41 am

I wish that you didn’t know how this feels!
      I wish that we didn’t live in a country that is forgetting about its people.
      I encourage you to write to your MPP and become a the squeaky wheel that they don’t forget.
      That is exactly what I’m doing.

14. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    January 7, 2012 | 5:35 pm

So mad for you, but I admire you so much for pursuing it and not just caving to the system.

January 8, 2012 | 9:42 pm

I am mad too but luckily my father taught me to go after whatever it is I am passionate about.
      And this is something I am most certainly passionate about.

15. Natalie @ Mama Track
    January 7, 2012 | 9:10 pm

I’m so sorry, Leighann. What a tough position. Fingers crossed for you guys.

January 8, 2012 | 9:42 pm

Thank you Natalie.
      We have been praying and planning and talking like crazy and I think it will all work out.

16. Leila (Don't Speak Whinese)
    January 7, 2012 | 9:16 pm

Huge hugs for going through that… I can’t imagine the frustration! I hope something changes… and major kudos to you for fighting and speaking up about this.

January 8, 2012 | 9:39 pm

Thank you!!
      It’s a long fight but we aren’t giving up!
      I’m tired of being taken advantage of by my government

17. liz
    January 8, 2012 | 8:42 am

I’m so sorry Leighann. I don’t know what to say. I wish I could make it all better for you.

January 8, 2012 | 9:31 pm

Just knowing you heard me is what matters Liz.
      Thank you.

January 8, 2012 | 7:19 pm

I used to work for childcare subsidy and it was such a tough job. We had to follow the state regulations and there were so many people we couldn’t help. Got even worse with budget cuts when they cut people off the program and implemented waiting lists. I’m so sorry you are struggling with this.

January 8, 2012 | 9:30 pm

I remember you saying that. I know from working with Foster Kids and from the job I have now that there are government regulations that have to be followed, however, as a citizen that doesn’t mean I have to like them and I can make the decision to fight for the rights of others.
      So I will.
      I can’t imagine how hard your job must have been.

19. MaryLauren@My3LittleBirds
    January 8, 2012 | 9:36 pm

I’m so very sorry that you’re in this situation. It’s hard enough to find a childcare arrangement that you’re comfortable with…I know it must just be so frustrating to be dealing with all this. Hugs, friend.

January 9, 2012 | 1:27 am

I am so sorry you are struggling with this now. I wish that I could say or do more to help.

Daycare is insanely expensive, even here. I can’t afford to work, my paycheck would be going directly to child care and it still wouldn’t cover the cost. That’s why I’m still home.

January 9, 2012 | 1:21 pm

I’m hearing this from so many people.
      Friends of mine have to stay home and do daycare themselves in order to make ends meet.
      Other friends have to work part time to afford it.
      It’s sad, and no one in the government listens.

21. Stasha
    January 9, 2012 | 3:30 am

That is a bunch of BS I say! I am putting my alarm clock on for Ontario too!!

January 9, 2012 | 1:19 pm

You make my heart smile!

22. Kristin
    January 18, 2012 | 1:41 am

I’m in the same situation as you – we had the subsidy until our income grew a bit, and we now no longer qualify. We are still doing okay, although childcare costs about as much as the mortgage – but we chose not to have a second child as a result. There is no way to keep cover childcare costs for two kids on an average income.

But one thing I’m curious about – how can any of us expect subsidized childcare if we don’t want to pay taxes? It is taxes that will pay for that childcare, after all – for our own kids and then one day for someone else’s. I, for one, do not object to paying taxes in order to ensure people get the services they need.

January 20, 2012 | 12:58 pm

My heart broke in two when I read that you decided not to have a second child as a result of your income.
      There are so many people who do not work and receive assistance and have child after child while the government pays for them.
      BUT the middle class person who goes to work, pays for childcare, and tries hard to keep their head above water cannot have the children they want because of their finances.
      It isn’t fair and it’s not ok.

• Kristin
        January 20, 2012 | 1:14 pm

Please don’t interpret my comments as a slag against “welfare moms” – that is *not* what I intended. I am saying that our society does not support children and parenting for anyone except the very rich. I feel a lot of solidarity with moms on “welfare”/social assistance. Most do not want to be there and in fact don’t stay on assistance for as long as many people think. This, despite the fact that it is *very* tough to move from assistance to employment. There are few good jobs for women seeking to re-enter the job market after an absence. Moms can’t qualify for childcare subsidy if they are not employed, and it’s obviously hard to job search, attend interviews, have appropriate clothing etc. while also looking after a child or two. So it’s a vicious circle for many parents. Meanwhile, welfare rates are totally inadequate. That moms are able to raise healthy children at all, while on assistance, is a testament to their hard work.

January 20, 2012 | 2:29 pm

I think our society allows people to remain on Ontario Works and Welfare for too long. It’s easy and convenient.
          There are services for them to upgrade their education, have free childcare, free clothing to go back to work, get tools, school books, etc.
          There is free meds, eye doctor, dentist, and prescriptions.
          Low income housing and rent control.

Should they take the services and improve themselves then they get out of the housing, move into a home, start to pay a mortgage and then a daycare from the pay they receive at their new job.
          But they can’t get subsidy anymore.
          They can’t afford groceries anymore either because there isn’t enough money.

They have to quit their job.
          They go back on welfare.

It’s a cycle.
          And a failed system.

i agree with you.

• Kristin
            January 20, 2012 | 5:24 pm

I don’t agree AT ALL that people are on Ontario Works for “too long” or that it is “convenient”.

Our society is becoming ever more unequal, with the richest people taking more and more of the money at the expense of the poor and the middle class.

We should direct our anger and frustration at the people making millions, not at those unfortunately stuck at the bottom.

Given that I’ve started this thread, I’d appreciate it if you allow me to close it now.

January 21, 2012 | 2:26 pm

I don’t think our anger should be at those making millions, they have worked for their money too.
            And I’m certainly not angry at those on welfare.
            However, I do think that welfare is too convenient and easy for people to rely on.
            I have worked in social services for 11 years and relied on welfare myself at one point.
            It can become a vicious cycle once someone applies for it and I have commented on that as well.
            My opinions and facts do not come out of thin air and I am not unintelligent in these areas.
            Thank you for your comment.

23. Cookie's Mom
    April 30, 2012 | 8:28 pm

Geez, I hope they sort this out for you soon! Might be worth considering a move to Montreal??? At least they have cheap daycare. Not even worth me working out here.

May 3, 2012 | 9:15 pm

Thank Sue! We have recently found a new daycare provider who costs considerably less, but this doesn’t solve the problem for other families who are still in our situation.

May 6, 2012 | 8:42 pm

I wish we had the type of health care that Quebec had! that would be amazing!