My Mind Was Changed

As children my brother and I were babysat in the homes of other families.

No daycare centres, no circle times, and no set activities provided to assist us in our development.

We were dropped off, left to play with other children, and then picked up.

There was no reporting authority if something went wrong, and should there have been a complaint that wasn’t resolved then we were moved to a new babysitter.

I didn’t want that for my child.

We chose daycare for the security of the centre, the routine, the number of employees, and their reporting practices.
We chose OUR daycare because of its beautiful decorating, clean rooms, friendly engaging staff, and welcoming environment.

Today we interviewed a new daycare.

Our last day at the daycare we love is tomorrow because, as you all know, we cannot afford our current location and subsidy is not willing to assist us any longer.

The new daycare is registered, however, it is in someone’s home.

My anxiety level was high on our way to her home and I obsessed over my list of questions. How many meals a day; where do the children sleep; what type of discipline did she believe in; did she have a routine; how many kids went there; did she play music at nap time?

As we pulled into her driveway I felt my throat swell with fear.

Her double doors were lit up, welcoming us.

Before reaching the bell she opened the door and introduced herself, speaking in a sweet English accent and excusing the mess.

The house was spotless.

We walked into a huge entrance way and I took in her beautiful tile floors, huge staircase and, to the left, her giant formal sitting room. She took our coats and led us right into a gleaming kitchen and dinning room and then into a huge family room.

The daycare.

A full, set up daycare with every toy, climbing apparatus, pretend kitchen, train, table, craft, and puzzle imaginable.

My daughters dream.

We talked, played, and planned for an hour.

We giggled, laughed, and swooned.

And my mind was changed.

She starts on Monday.

36 Responses to My Mind Was Changed
  1. Kristin
    January 13, 2012 | 7:49 am

When it comes to our kids I don’t believe where counts as much as who. I feel that about teachers.
    Great that you’ve found someone you trust.

January 15, 2012 | 3:50 pm

I feel that way too.
      Im not going to send my child to a stranger that I have a bad feeling about just cause I need care

2. Lady Estrogen
    January 13, 2012 | 8:04 am

That’s great you’ve found somewhere that you’re happy with!! I know how stressful it is.
    I actually got LAUGHED at when I was looking around to put twins on a waiting list. Ugh.
    My choices were extremely limited, but luckily, it’s going well.

January 15, 2012 | 3:46 pm

You got laughed at???
      Are your guys in a registered daycare or home now?

3. Brianne
    January 13, 2012 | 8:20 am

I can’t wait to hear all the good stories from this new woman!

January 15, 2012 | 3:44 pm

I hope they’re all good stories lol

4. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 13, 2012 | 9:02 am

Oh I’m so glad to hear you found a good place!!! YAY!

January 15, 2012 | 3:44 pm

me too. We were really worried that we wouldn’t find one

5. Jenn@Fox in the City
    January 13, 2012 | 9:25 am

Ah I am so happy that you have found a new place that you are comfortable with! Finding daycare is so stressful but I have been so lucky with the four that I have dealt with. . . . oh yes, my oldest is only 4 and I have already had dealings with 4 daycares.

January 15, 2012 | 3:42 pm

How do your kids nap at day care? Thats the only thing I’m worried about.

6. Lindsay
    January 13, 2012 | 10:02 am

I’m so happy for you!
    When our daycare closed, I had to find somewhere else for Monster to go. He goes to an in-home care provider… which is fine, but I miss the routine of the daycare. Alas, there is a true shortage of care providers in our area.
    I’m almost considering hiring a Nanny for in-home with him, and establishing some sort of routine for him …

January 15, 2012 | 3:39 pm

we considered a nanny but I wanted her to have the interaction with other kids.
      No matter what we do there’s guilt

7. Jen Has A Pen
    January 13, 2012 | 10:30 am

Oh yay! What great news!!!

January 15, 2012 | 3:29 pm

It really is.
      I’m nervous about monday but I know she’ll do great.

8. Amber
    January 13, 2012 | 11:02 am

Oh wow. This new place sounds amazing. I’m so glad you found one where you feel the peace to have her there.

January 15, 2012 | 3:35 pm

The only thing I’m worried about is how she’ll nap but the woman assures me that she will do great!

9. Rach (DonutsMama)
    January 13, 2012 | 1:07 pm

Oh how wonderful! You found Mary Poppins! I hope your daughter just loves it there.

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

She even has an english accent!

10. Karin @Mommy's Paradise
    January 13, 2012 | 2:23 pm

I’m glad you found a new daycare for your girl that you feel comfortable with. Good start on Monday.

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

Fingers crossed.
      I’m getting nervous but I know she’ll love it.

11. Galit Breen
    January 13, 2012 | 5:32 pm

YAY! I have chills! What a relief!!

xo

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

Such a relief!!

12. Carri
    January 13, 2012 | 10:36 pm

She’ll LOVE it. I promise!! When I worked, Blake was at an at home day care and I honestly think it was the best thing for him. In fact, she still watches him once every month or so just because she wants to see him. He’s a part of their family!

January 15, 2012 | 3:26 pm

What a wonderful woman!
      That’s how this woman is too! She loves children! She misses them on the weekend and teaches sunday school on the weekends so she can still see kids

13. Sandy
    January 14, 2012 | 9:16 am

That sounds amazing!! Professionally run by someone who has a big enough heart to do it from her home. Piece of mind for you and enticing and exciting for your girl. Awesome. Look forward to monday. 😉

January 15, 2012 | 3:25 pm

I’m pretty nervous about it but I know she’ll do great!!!

14. Sweaty
    January 14, 2012 | 9:28 am

I know how frustrating it is to find and choose the right daycare for our children. So happy that you’ve found one in a short time, Leighann! That’s like a huge weight lifted right off your shoulders right?

Here’s to happy days ahead for your little daughter and her lovely new daycare!

January 15, 2012 | 3:22 pm

And it is so much more affordable!
      What a relief!!

January 14, 2012 | 10:45 am

OH I am so happy.
    I can’t even imagine how difficult it is to find someone like that.
    I’m very lucky that Chunky go to go to “Nana and Papa” day care when I worked. It saved us so much money and the stress!

January 15, 2012 | 3:16 pm

I would have loved if my parents could watch her but it’s not possible.
      this will work.
      she’ll love it

16. joann mannix
    January 14, 2012 | 12:55 pm

Okay, whew! I’m so glad it turned out to have such a happy ending because many years ago, I was one of those child care providers from my home. My house was a sheltering, happy place for a handful of children. I made their favorite meals, I knew the ins and outs of their lives. In short, we were a family. In the right environment, an at home daycare can be the very best place for a child. Congratulations on finding one of those perfect places!

And thank you so much for your kind words over at Just Be Enough. I really appreciated it.

January 15, 2012 | 3:15 pm

We’re really looking forward to it. Of course we’re nervous but only because it’s a new place and a change.
      She’ll be fine and the woman is fantastic!!

January 15, 2012 | 7:22 pm

I think finding good daycare is tough but once you find it, stick with it. Good for you for being open to give another kind of childcare facility a try. I used to think, as a working mom, that only the large centers that cost tons of money would be “good enough” for my child, too. But, the truth is that, that which makes a good childcare center are the people. That’s it. So long as you find good people, you’re golden! I wish you all the best!

January 16, 2012 | 8:36 pm

You’re so right!
      The people make up the sweetness and wonder that the children love.

18. Stasha
    January 16, 2012 | 12:06 am

Very exciting! Good on you. Cannot wait to hear about it next week.

January 16, 2012 | 8:35 pm

She’s doing great so far.. it was only her first day but so far so good!

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/01/13/my-mind-was-changed/trackback/

My Mind Was Changed

As children my brother and I were babysat in the homes of other families.

We were dropped off, left to play with other children, and then picked up.

I didn’t want that for my child.

Today we interviewed a new daycare.

The new daycare is registered, however, it is in someone’s home.

As we pulled into her driveway I felt my throat swell with fear.

Her double doors were lit up, welcoming us.

The house was spotless.

The daycare.

My daughters dream.

We talked, played, and planned for an hour.

We giggled, laughed, and swooned.

And my mind was changed.

She starts on Monday.

36 Responses to My Mind Was Changed
  1. Kristin
    January 13, 2012 | 7:49 am

Great that you’ve found someone you trust.

January 15, 2012 | 3:50 pm

I feel that way too.

2. Lady Estrogen
    January 13, 2012 | 8:04 am

My choices were extremely limited, but luckily, it’s going well.

January 15, 2012 | 3:46 pm

You got laughed at???
      Are your guys in a registered daycare or home now?

3. Brianne
    January 13, 2012 | 8:20 am

I can’t wait to hear all the good stories from this new woman!

January 15, 2012 | 3:44 pm

I hope they’re all good stories lol

4. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 13, 2012 | 9:02 am

Oh I’m so glad to hear you found a good place!!! YAY!

January 15, 2012 | 3:44 pm

me too. We were really worried that we wouldn’t find one

5. Jenn@Fox in the City
    January 13, 2012 | 9:25 am

January 15, 2012 | 3:42 pm

How do your kids nap at day care? Thats the only thing I’m worried about.

6. Lindsay
    January 13, 2012 | 10:02 am

I’m so happy for you!

January 15, 2012 | 3:39 pm

we considered a nanny but I wanted her to have the interaction with other kids.
      No matter what we do there’s guilt

7. Jen Has A Pen
    January 13, 2012 | 10:30 am

Oh yay! What great news!!!

January 15, 2012 | 3:29 pm

It really is.
      I’m nervous about monday but I know she’ll do great.

8. Amber
    January 13, 2012 | 11:02 am

January 15, 2012 | 3:35 pm

9. Rach (DonutsMama)
    January 13, 2012 | 1:07 pm

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

She even has an english accent!

10. Karin @Mommy's Paradise
    January 13, 2012 | 2:23 pm

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

Fingers crossed.
      I’m getting nervous but I know she’ll love it.

11. Galit Breen
    January 13, 2012 | 5:32 pm

YAY! I have chills! What a relief!!

xo

January 15, 2012 | 3:28 pm

Such a relief!!

12. Carri
    January 13, 2012 | 10:36 pm

January 15, 2012 | 3:26 pm

What a wonderful woman!

13. Sandy
    January 14, 2012 | 9:16 am

January 15, 2012 | 3:25 pm

I’m pretty nervous about it but I know she’ll do great!!!

14. Sweaty
    January 14, 2012 | 9:28 am

Here’s to happy days ahead for your little daughter and her lovely new daycare!

January 15, 2012 | 3:22 pm

And it is so much more affordable!
      What a relief!!

January 14, 2012 | 10:45 am

OH I am so happy.
    I can’t even imagine how difficult it is to find someone like that.

January 15, 2012 | 3:16 pm

I would have loved if my parents could watch her but it’s not possible.
      this will work.
      she’ll love it

16. joann mannix
    January 14, 2012 | 12:55 pm

January 15, 2012 | 3:15 pm

She’ll be fine and the woman is fantastic!!

January 15, 2012 | 7:22 pm

January 16, 2012 | 8:36 pm

You’re so right!
      The people make up the sweetness and wonder that the children love.

18. Stasha
    January 16, 2012 | 12:06 am

Very exciting! Good on you. Cannot wait to hear about it next week.

January 16, 2012 | 8:35 pm

She’s doing great so far.. it was only her first day but so far so good!