When Honesty Doesn’t Pay

On Monday I held my breath as my daughter attended her new daycare. I knew she would have no trouble playing with the other children, learning the routine of a new environment, or embracing the change. She is full of life, is very social, and loves other children. But I was worried about her anyway.

Our report back that afternoon was fantastic! They couldn’t believe how wonderful she had done; it was as though she had always been there.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

After much procrastination I contacted subsidy in order to let them know we had changed daycare’s and to give them Brian’s work information, which included him being laid off.

Silence.

I was informed that because of the lay off our daughter should have been home with him. He should not have been out assisting a friend with work, paid or unpaid, he should have been home.

We would be responsible for the daycare costs incurred over the past month.

Of course we would.

I questionned the process and asked what would have happened if Brian had been paid “under the table”? Would it make a difference if I requested payment from his friend and submitted a receipt to her?

She said it would.

I explained to her that because Brian was on Unemployment Insurance he was legally not allowed to work “under the table.” That is why he did not collect money from his friend.

I also clarified that if we were to send in a receipt to subsidy and have it on record with them then we would run the risk of being charged with fraud.

Silence.

She would have to call me back.

When she called back she informed me that our subsidy was now officially cut. We were welcome to re-apply when Brian was back to work.

And that was the end of it.

Because I took the honest route I was punished.

My family is continuing to struggle.

Thank you Government of Canada.

I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate your services.

Photobucket

Oooh but wait.. there’s more! Stay tuned.

Coming next week.

Let's BEE Friends

39 Responses to When Honesty Doesn’t Pay
  1. Andrea @ The Penny-Roach's
    January 20, 2012 | 8:00 am

This breaks my heart. Because it is so true. The Canadian government will gladly help out people who are too lazy to get off their asses to go look for a job, but working parents trying to make a go of it? Not a chance.

Both me and hubby work. We both individually make more than the NL average FAMILY income. But we can’t afford to have all 3 kids in daycare. And we don’t qualify for subsidy. I’ve been lucky enough to get a job that allows me to be off at 3 so the two biggies don’t need daycare. But without that? The kids wouldn’t be able to do their sports activities. It’s a sad world when you need to choose between daycare and exercise for your kids.

I keep waiting for Canada to do something, anything about daycare costs. I’m not holding my breath.

Good luck with your fight.

2. Stephanie
    January 20, 2012 | 9:04 am

Lovely!! (said very sarcastically of course)

Can’t wait for the next installment.

3. Nic
    January 20, 2012 | 9:14 am

That just drives me nuts! I’m proud of you for being honest because with everything you have been through I wouldn’t blame you if you had of lied! I’m here for whatever you need! Can’t wait to hear more but with your luck with subsidy I’m scared to read more! Keep your head up there has to be a light at the end of this tunnel!

4. Jenn@Fox in the City
    January 20, 2012 | 9:18 am

I don’t even know what to say to this other than . . . holy hell that sucks soooo badly. It just feels like the middle class is currently shouldering the burden of society and it is crushing us.

5. Rusti
    January 20, 2012 | 10:49 am

doesn’t that make you wish, just for a moment, that you weren’t so honest and wonderful? before your conscious reminds you that you’re glad you are YOU? ugh. do lies of omission count as white lies? grr. so sorry friend. sending good thoughts your way. XO

6. Amber
    January 20, 2012 | 11:50 am

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS!!??!! The first thought that came to my mind is also “How does he go on job interviews with a toddler in tow?” Oh I swear!!!! I am so sorry that ya’ll are having to go through this. Oh I swear this is making me want to fly up there and punch someone…ARRR!!!!

7. Bruna
    January 20, 2012 | 12:56 pm

Whenever I read about this on-going issue you are having with daycare and subsidy, I get angry. I can only imagine how frustrated you and your husband are with the system.

January 20, 2012 | 2:36 pm

i am so so so angry and frustrated but I won’t stop fighting until something changes.

January 20, 2012 | 1:26 pm

God. Fucking. What. The. Fuck.
    Seriously.
    Someone needs to shit kick the prime minister.
    I’m so sorry that this is happening.
    It’s not fair.

January 20, 2012 | 2:25 pm

I emailed the Prime Minister.
      Not his area.
      He told me I was emailing the wrong person.
      I have more coming on that.
      I think I’ll run for Prime Minister myself.
      Wanna Be the Robin to my Bat Man?

9. Hazel
    January 20, 2012 | 2:01 pm

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. So because your husband lost his job you got cut off from subsidy completely. On what planet does that make sense? So he’s not supposed to look for work, and you are supposed to take your child in and out of random daycares just because it means a few less dollars spent for them? Do any of these people actually have kids of their own?

I am SO happy I don’t live in Ontario, I am pretty sure I would be having similar problems. Daycare here (in Manitoba) is a little more manageable, especially now that my son is over 2.

January 20, 2012 | 2:20 pm

They told us that he is only allowed to job search one day a week AND even though he is guaranteed his job back at his work (seasonal lay off) we are expected to keep our daughter home.
      EVEN if we pay the majority of the daycare bill and they only pay a few dollars towards it.
      I love Ontario, the people, the location, but the reputation that our services is getting is due to the fault of the government.

10. RoryBore
    January 20, 2012 | 2:31 pm

and this is exactly why I am home with the kids.
    the irony? From my Government job. which they gave away as soon as I extended child care leave — because we cannot afford daycare for 3 children even with both salaries. I know another woman who is on sick leave – 10 years now (and yes, she is legitimately sick), but they didn’t dare give her job away.
    Government, I work for it…and even I don’t understand it.

January 20, 2012 | 2:54 pm

That isn’t okay and you should have your position when and if you return.
      Putting someone in there in a casual capacity is one thing but having them take your position away is another, and not right.

11. katery
    January 20, 2012 | 4:37 pm

lie your face off.

January 21, 2012 | 2:28 pm

Looks like that’s the way to go.

12. Stasha
    January 20, 2012 | 5:04 pm

Absurd. It is same as middle class parents loosing jobs and not being allowed support until they get back on their feet because they own property. But people making a carrier out of being unemployed get all the benefits even if they did not work a day of their life.
    Still, truth matters. High road is the only way, proud of you!

January 21, 2012 | 2:28 pm

When I hit rock bottom and needed help from welfare, years ago, they told me that I needed to cash in my RRSP’s before I could get it.
      Cash in my retirement money before I could have help?
      Unreal.

13. Lanae (@Hungrigyrl)
    January 20, 2012 | 5:26 pm

That is just ridiculous!! I am sorry but there is just nothing right about that situation. Sorry for your struggles. Stopping by from Let’s Bee Friends.

January 21, 2012 | 2:22 pm

We’re going to keep fighting so that everyone can get subsidy and this doesn’t happen anymore!

14. Lindsay
    January 20, 2012 | 7:03 pm

You know what I think? Anyone that PAYS TAXES should have the option of subsidized daycare. It pisses me off that people in this country live off the system when they could just go out and get an effing job when people who are WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF are getting the shaft because they make “too much” <- WTF is too much? 'cuz if I didn't need help, I WOULDN'T BE ASKING FOR IT. You know what they said? "People who don't really need subsidy would then apply for it” Know what I said? “Uh – you mean like the people who don’t really need welfare but apply for it… and GET it?”
    Our country can be soooo frustrating. Actually, just our province. Quebec is very different.

• Lindsay
      January 20, 2012 | 7:05 pm

sorry for the rant – I got cut off too. As a single mother. It was fun.

January 21, 2012 | 2:19 pm

I loved your rant!
        The government needs to hear it from you!!

15. Cathy
    January 20, 2012 | 7:45 pm

Let me know if you need me. I can start taking vacation time to help out when B goes back to work.

January 21, 2012 | 2:19 pm

16. Jenny
    January 20, 2012 | 7:45 pm

That is just horrible. So sorry that you are still battling this daycare issue.

January 21, 2012 | 2:18 pm

It seems we can’t catch a break but we handling it!!

17. Mommakiss
    January 20, 2012 | 8:04 pm

Ok that officially pisses me off.

January 21, 2012 | 2:18 pm

you and me both!
      GRRR

January 20, 2012 | 10:41 pm

Oh, I hate that you guys are struggling with this! How is Brian supposed to actively look for a job if he’s caring for S? That woman doesn’t seem to know what she was talking about. Sending hugs, good thoughts, and prayers your way.

January 21, 2012 | 2:16 pm

He gets his job back. It’s a layoff that comes every year.
      The caseworker we have is not very empathetic has seems quite jaded.

19. Paulette (MsPDrama)
    January 21, 2012 | 12:32 am

Wow. Just wow. I know just how you feel. We get some assistance and just the other night the in laws told us they want to claim the kids. OMG! I’m like yeah I get why you’d want to but you will totally screw up our benefits and we may be punished for it. If we lose them we can no longer pay to live here or for kids medical stuff. I think my head needs a wall to bang it against. That’s much easier and less of a headache than dealing with the government, yours or ours, anytime!

January 21, 2012 | 2:15 pm

Yikes.
      It’s so tricky isn’t it.
      No matter what we do we are always being screwed over.

20. Alison@Mama Wants This
    January 21, 2012 | 10:09 am

That’s just shitty and unfair. You government needs a serious kick in the backside.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Hugs. xo

January 21, 2012 | 2:11 pm

They have a lot of things they have to manage.
      I get that.
      But there are also a lot of things wrong.
      It’s too bad.

21. liz
    January 21, 2012 | 11:31 am

How awful! It’s just one thing after another! I do hope there’s an upturn to this story!

January 21, 2012 | 2:11 pm

There’s always a silver lining!

22. Galit Breen
    January 21, 2012 | 10:37 pm

Ugh. I’m so, so sorry to hear this Leighann.

23. A Blessing in Disguise | Multitasking Mumma
    January 23, 2012 | 4:02 am

[…] the coming weeks, please subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!After finding out that our subsidy had been cut, and re-working the budget so that we could afford to pay our new daycare full price until Brian […]