Her Survival

Understanding another person’s struggle or situation is difficult if you have nothing to compare it to.

If you have never experienced anything like it yourself and have no way of knowing what they are going through.

But to be completely blind to their struggle? To not care? That is where my blood begins to boil.

To not listen to another person’s frustration’s or concern’s too see where you can help if it’s a moral and just cause?

To not attempt to gather as much information as possible in order to keep that person safe?

I can’t understand the hesitance.

Especially if that person is your family.

Especially when it means the life and death of a child.

I’m still learning about my daughters dangerous peanut allergy.

I thought I had something to compare it to because of her father having one but it turned out that hers was much worse.

Because of this I’ve had to understand his struggle more, and start to wrap my head around what her’s will be like. I’ve had to change my way of eating and living, and I’ve had to educate myself and everyone we come into contact with. I’ve started to ask questions, and listen in order to alleviate my anxiety and admit my fear.

But in the middle of all of this is a child.

A not yet two year old who I am here to protect, teach, and guide through life despite her allergy.

A child who will always have to question everything she eats.

Her survival will depend on it.

And without the understanding and support of the community around her and the family she has I shudder to think what the outcome might be.

The video is from children with allergies and how they feel about having them. It’s pretty powerful

19 Responses to Her Survival
  1. Alison@Mama Wants This
    March 21, 2012 | 5:48 am

Your daughter has a strong advocate in you, Leighann. And so do all the other kids with such life-threatening food allergies. Keep up the good work!

2. Nic
    March 21, 2012 | 8:35 am

I’m so very proud of you for continuing to change the world!!! You are making a difference and one day things will be better!
    Because I consider myself part of your family and you visit here I have changed so much in regards to food- peanuts. My kids NEVER have peanut products around you or S and if someone did that day I disinfect everything!!!!!!!!
    We don’t have many peanut products in our home and we make every attempt possible to keep things safe. I will soon have a nut free home when I start daycare!!!

3. Jenn@Fox in the City
    March 21, 2012 | 8:40 am

Stay strong and keep advocating for your little Miss because you are the best and loudest voice she will until she finds her own!

4. Mom On A Line
    March 21, 2012 | 8:50 am

Unfortunately, some people don’t get it and probably won’t, even family. Sometimes it is especially family (for us, family are the biggest deniers/roadblocks because it is their coping mechanism). Continuing to advocate for your child just as you are and letting people know what they cannot do around her will help. Eventually, they may get it or at least do what you ask so they don’t have to hear you say it again. {{{hugs}}}

5. Kristin
    March 21, 2012 | 9:20 am

There is no time in your life or your daughter’s for people who are wilfully ignorant.

6. Kir
    March 21, 2012 | 10:11 am

oh my goodness, I can’t imagine that someone who loves that little girl, who is related by blood or love could not take her allergy seriously. IT IS SERIOUS.

I’ve told you before that I have become very very aware of what I let the boys eat around other children, what they take to school and how they interact with the children that have the allergies. It’s a BIG DEAL.

I am applauding you for the stance you are taking and the writing you are doing to make all of us aware. BRAVO.

Hugs to that beautiful daughter of yours.

• Rob
      April 12, 2012 | 12:04 pm

Since many pre-packaged foods are processed in palecs that also process peanuts, you might want to go with something homemade if that’s an option. (You’ll still have to read the labels on your ingredients, but you’ll have a lot more success finding peanut-free flour than peanut- free granola bars.)MuffinsHomemade granola or trailmixOatmeal cookiesBanana bread

7. Elaine
    March 21, 2012 | 10:56 am

I didn’t realize she had an allergy to peanuts. WOW. I hope you find that those around you become more understanding and willing to do what is right for your daughter. Like you said, how could they not? xo

8. katery
    March 21, 2012 | 4:34 pm

it would be so scary to have a child with any allergy, but especially a nut allergy, they are used in so much stuff. i wish you much luck and a little more understanding.

March 21, 2012 | 6:34 pm

I am so proud of you. You are such a wonderful advocate not only to your daughter but to other babes with peanut allergies.
    Keep fighting and educating.
    You’re doing a wonderful job!!
    xoxo

March 22, 2012 | 10:21 pm

You`re my partner in all things advocating! xo

March 21, 2012 | 8:41 pm

I don’t know how anyone could not take a child’s allergies serious. Especially if they are related to said child. You are doing a great job for your child.

March 22, 2012 | 10:20 pm

I also don`t understand but I`m in the middle of it. I think that if it means life or death it shouldn`t even be a question

11. Galit Breen
    March 21, 2012 | 10:41 pm

I’ve said it before, and I’m sure to say it again, I love the way that you love fiercely – and she will, too.

March 22, 2012 | 10:19 pm

What a wonderful compliment!

12. Gramma
    March 22, 2012 | 10:44 am

I think you are doing an exceptional job of voicing your/our concerns about the definite dangers of children with allergies. Coming into contact the peanuts in any way – whether it is direct or indirect can be fatal. They don’t have to eat it to have a reaction to it.
    We all must keep in mind and follow through with the trail that a smidgen of peanut butter will take and protect our S and every other child with the problem.
    Good work passing on all the information. Love ya.

March 22, 2012 | 10:18 pm

Thank you so much Mom, your support and understanding means the world to me. xo

March 22, 2012 | 8:16 pm

Peanut allergies are very serious. I am glad that your taking the necessary steps of informing yourself and protecting your daughter. And the video at the end is priceless. I’m going to share it now.

March 22, 2012 | 10:18 pm

Thank you so so much! That video really got to me. I always wondered what a child thought and it explains it perfectly.