Writing a Winning Resume

The work force isn’t what it used to be and in throughout careers we will change jobs over 5 times.

At a minimum.

Employment is at an all time low, job searching and networking is difficult for those who are not professionals in the field, and beginning a search can seem overwhelming.

In my professional life I help people face these roadblocks.

And this week I’m helping you.

I’m going to have guests here who have been managers and employers on the hiring end who will tell you what they are looking for when they receive a resume.

I will show you the format for a resume that will get yours read.

And I will share with you an author who has written a book on writing resumes for youth in order to highlight all of the great things they do in their childhood.

All of this is to help those of you who are looking to move forward in your lives, take a new step, or need help.

I’m here to answer questions.

I’m here to help.

Lets get started!!

Photobucket

1. Your Name – This should be the first thing that an employer sees. It should be a fair size and should be in a “friendly font.” This means using lettering that is among the most commonly used in writing so that the potential employers’ eyes are not drawn away from your qualifications.

2. Qualifications – Using an objective is not necessary in a resume. By giving your resume to the employer and applying for the job you have already told the employer you are interested in a position. Use the Objective space to highlight your qualifications, either in list or sentence form.

3. The Body – The body of your resume should be tailored to each position that your apply to. I recommend playing around with your formatting and using a flow that works best for you. There are several that are effective.

Highlighting Skills

Highlighting Job

4. Avoiding Gaps – When mothers take time off to care for children, or a period of time goes by without a job it can be hard to figure out how to fill in the gaps. For those mom’s who work at home do not forget that you are working and that is a job to put on your resume! Another tip? Skip the chronological resume and go to a functional format.

5. Length – Your resume should be one page! If you have altered it to each job individually this will not be a problem. Employers do not have time to read two pages of qualifications from 100’s of applicants. Keep it simple and focus on your best accomplishments. Leave out hobbies and things you want to do in the future!

This is the first of three posts in a series on Resume and Job Search Assistance.

Do you have anything you can add?

21 Responses to Writing a Winning Resume
  1. Imperfectmomma
    March 26, 2012 | 6:46 am

This is great. While I am not looking for a job, I know this will help a lot of people 🙂

March 28, 2012 | 4:18 pm

Thank you!
      And you might not be looking for a job but you are doing the hardest one out there and I applaud you

2. Galit Breen
    March 26, 2012 | 8:09 am

What a fantastic series and great tips!

(Its been a long time since I wrote a resume!)

March 28, 2012 | 4:18 pm

I think it’s so important that the information be there for women should they need it. We never know when our lives and situations will change.

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    March 26, 2012 | 9:22 am

Great tips, Leighann!

I’m not looking for a job, and might never again, but I still like making sure my resume looks good 🙂

March 28, 2012 | 4:17 pm

I think it’s great that you have the opportunity to stay home with your children Alison. That in itself is a full time job and harder than anything I will ever do.

4. Kristin
    March 26, 2012 | 9:23 am

This is a great idea! Resume writing is so hard.

March 28, 2012 | 4:16 pm

It’s true. How do you pick the right things to say and what to highlight? It can be overwhelming

March 26, 2012 | 3:00 pm

This is a great idea for a series! So helpful for so many people. I admit, it has been a long time since I’ve written my resume, so I could use the extra pointers.

March 28, 2012 | 4:15 pm

I think it’s important to stay current even if you’re not actively looking. No one knows when they might have to jump back into the work force. Thanks so much for coming over Kimberly!

March 27, 2012 | 6:03 am

These are great tips! I have always used a chronological resume, but now with my newest gig of stay-at-home mom-ing, I’m definitely going to go the functional resume route. I hope that will help me get a job when I need it! 🙂

March 28, 2012 | 4:14 pm

Let me know if you need any more help with your resume. The functional resume is great for hiding gaps.

7. Liz
    March 27, 2012 | 7:20 am

These are some great starting off points. I’m a recruiter by day, and would be happy to do a guest post about searching for a job if you’re interested. Email me at the address above. Thanks for helping people improve their searches!

8. Natalie @MamaTrack
    March 27, 2012 | 8:24 pm

What a great idea. Good luck!

9. Yuliya
    March 27, 2012 | 9:50 pm

Nice post. The one page thing is a bit tricky though, I recently did an informational interview with someone who’s been in HR for over 25 years and she actually told me to expand my resume if I’ve been in the workforce for over 10 years, totally contradicted everything I had always heard about sticking to one page!

March 28, 2012 | 4:13 pm

This is an excellent point Yuliya, I’m so glad that you commented! YES, someone who has been in the industry for an extended time or is a professional would use a portfolio or an expanded resume. This resume example was more for someone who is beginning again in the workforce. Thank you so much for that point!

10. Alexandra
    April 5, 2012 | 7:07 am

Came over from BlogHer to tell you what an excellent post this is. Thank you.

April 5, 2012 | 7:54 pm

You are so wonderful! REALLY… the best!

11. Amanda
    May 2, 2012 | 10:50 am

Hey! I’m so thankful to find your post. I am graduating from college this month and trying to figure out how to write a good resume. Thanks for the tip! I do have a question. Do you not list education experience on the resume? Great post!

Amanda

May 3, 2012 | 9:08 pm

I know I already answered you but I wanted anyone else to know who might wonder the answer too! Yes, adding your education and certificates is important!

12. […] my previous posts I highlighted how to write a winning resume and how to display your experience so that a manager would look at […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/03/26/writing-winning-resume/trackback/

Writing a Winning Resume

At a minimum.

In my professional life I help people face these roadblocks.

And this week I’m helping you.

I will show you the format for a resume that will get yours read.

I’m here to answer questions.

I’m here to help.

Lets get started!!

Photobucket

Highlighting Skills

Highlighting Job

Do you have anything you can add?

21 Responses to Writing a Winning Resume
  1. Imperfectmomma
    March 26, 2012 | 6:46 am

March 28, 2012 | 4:18 pm

Thank you!

2. Galit Breen
    March 26, 2012 | 8:09 am

What a fantastic series and great tips!

(Its been a long time since I wrote a resume!)

March 28, 2012 | 4:18 pm

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    March 26, 2012 | 9:22 am

Great tips, Leighann!

March 28, 2012 | 4:17 pm

4. Kristin
    March 26, 2012 | 9:23 am

This is a great idea! Resume writing is so hard.

March 28, 2012 | 4:16 pm

March 26, 2012 | 3:00 pm

March 28, 2012 | 4:15 pm

March 27, 2012 | 6:03 am

March 28, 2012 | 4:14 pm

7. Liz
    March 27, 2012 | 7:20 am

8. Natalie @MamaTrack
    March 27, 2012 | 8:24 pm

What a great idea. Good luck!

9. Yuliya
    March 27, 2012 | 9:50 pm

March 28, 2012 | 4:13 pm

10. Alexandra
    April 5, 2012 | 7:07 am

Came over from BlogHer to tell you what an excellent post this is. Thank you.

April 5, 2012 | 7:54 pm

You are so wonderful! REALLY… the best!

11. Amanda