The Hunger Games… of Pee

This weekend we spent the days outside cleaning out the gardens, planting new flowers, and running the toddler to the potty every 30 seconds.

Yup, it’s time people.

Potty Training.

There is pee dribbles all over my rugs, I have rung out more pairs of “big girl panties” than I can count, and I’ve developed an unhealthy fear of being tinkled on.

The candy reward, one of my personal favourites, worked until Brian started giving her candy just for being cute, and the potty excitement followed by squeals of joy never worked at all because her parents are two of the most obnoxious people you will meet.

She also hates to poop in front of people.

She’s a closet pooper.

A behind the big basket in the living room stinker.

A pretend to be interested in playing with dolls in the playhouse and drop a deuce toddler.

I had no idea urine would exhaust me so much.

Tomorrow is a new day and we are starting with a reward chart. There will be colours and stickers, tracking and dancing, and there will be copious amounts of pee.

I’m getting prepared, hydrating, lots of positive self talk, and reading encouraging articles.

I’ve stored food, purchased cleaners, and warned those I love.

It’s The Hunger Games of Pee.

“May the odds be ever in your favour.”

– Quote taken from The Hunger Games

30 Responses to The Hunger Games… of Pee
  1. nikky44
    May 28, 2012 | 4:18 am

I can’t stop laughing I’m sorry, but that is soooo funny. I don’t know why I can’t remember anything about potty training for any of my 3 kids, but it must have happened at some point because they are well trained!!

June 3, 2012 | 5:37 pm

You must have blocked it out because it is HORRIBLE LOL

2. Mark
    May 28, 2012 | 5:17 am

First, I wanted to use “The Hunger Games” in a post title. But I wouldn’t have paired it with pee. So maybe I’m still good, right?
    Second, I must not be as cute as I thought I was because no one hands me candy anymore just for being cute.
    Third, this is so exciting! All this will pass quickly and you’ll be laughing about it soon enough. I just love when they hide to poop. I had forgotten all about that until now. Thanks for the memory!
    m.

June 3, 2012 | 5:35 pm

I’m so glad to hear that it will pass and I’ll look back and think … “oh yeah, potty training.”
      Cause right now I’m thinking, “OMG, POTTY TRAINING! MUTHA $%#%%^”

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    May 28, 2012 | 8:11 am

Oh good luck my friend!

4. Jenn Sprung
    May 28, 2012 | 9:11 am

Sigh. May the force be with you. Been there, and had it complicated with medical issues. Keep telling yourself that it truly isn’t likely that she will graduate high school wearing a pull up. Sometimes, that was the only thing that carried me through.

June 3, 2012 | 5:33 pm

We’ve taken a break until she isn’t so resistant. When she shows interest again we’ll try… sigh

• Jenn Sprung
        June 3, 2012 | 8:33 pm

We had to do that with Daisy too. And then one day, out of the blue, she just started doing it on her own. It was the coolest thing ever. Can’t believe I spent so much time trying to figure it out when all that was really required was for her to decide that it was time:) I will tell you that the girl, though stubborn, was so much easier than both of the boys!

June 6, 2012 | 12:49 pm

I hope that mine would just start doing it.. that is my new dream

5. Nic
    May 28, 2012 | 9:41 am

What about her daycare provider? I need some positive thoughts over here! Ahhhhhh
    We have been on the potty more today then we have played!
    I’m starting to fear PEE too! Lol
    We will do this together! I can’t wait for the sticker chart! Yippie!!!!

June 3, 2012 | 5:32 pm

Thanks for your support. Glad that you’re helping!

6. Iza Trapani
    May 28, 2012 | 9:57 am

A behind the big basket in the living room stinker…Hah ha! Love your humor, Leighann. Good luck!

June 3, 2012 | 5:26 pm

Thanks! She’s very resistant so we’re giving it a break right now until she shows interest again.

7. Robin | Farewell Stranger
    May 28, 2012 | 10:37 am

Oh lord, I know. The pee. It does end… Eventually.

June 3, 2012 | 5:18 pm

I have my fingers crossed that it will… I’m tired of the mess.

8. Kindred Adventures
    May 28, 2012 | 2:11 pm

Im with Nicky… I need to compose myself and stop laughing first and have I said… I love you!! Your perspective makes me laugh and smile. That last line could be used for much of my experiences with my first and I will forever think of it with pee and the battles that ensue with her. My first was a bitch to potty train. My favorite: she had just come off “trying” on the potty and sat down to have lunch on one of our cushioned kitchen chairs. No more then a minute later she pee’d on it and looked at me and said, ” oopsies happen mommy”. I called my girl friend and cried. Hang in there momma. She’ll figure it out and your it’s a new day approach is perfect. Deep breaths, girlfriends to vent to and adult beverages help too. The two of you will make it! -LV PS you know where to find me if you need anything 🙂

June 3, 2012 | 5:17 pm

We’ve put the potty training on hold because she is so resistant. I hope that she’s potty trained by age 19

May 29, 2012 | 7:01 am

There is nothing wrong with being a closet pooper.
    I cannot poop in public places.
    When we go camping I will hold my poop until we get home…a week later.
    I. just. can’t. do. it.

June 3, 2012 | 5:15 pm

I know I replied to this via email, however; I want you to know that I meant it when I said I went four days on a camping trip once and did not poop.
      No I did not.
      I don’t poop in the woods.
      Or in public washrooms.
      Or at work.
      Sick.

10. Lady Estrogen
    May 29, 2012 | 1:33 pm

Drop a deuce toddler. Snort!

It’s never ending over here – I’m thinking they’ll be toilet trained when they graduate high school.

June 3, 2012 | 5:12 pm

yours and mine can go together.. in diapers

11. Natalie @MamaTrack
    May 29, 2012 | 8:39 pm

So funny. I wish you luck–we just did it a couple months ago. It’s an adventure!

June 3, 2012 | 5:11 pm

I’m so tired of it. We’re taking a break right now because she’s so resistant

12. Galit Breen
    May 29, 2012 | 10:33 pm

Oh good luck, you.

I hate potty training. Hate.

I may have discouraged Brody from it a year ago. Maybe.

(And love the Hunger Games quote! So very appropriate!)

June 3, 2012 | 5:07 pm

I SO HATE POTTY TRAINING! FOREVER!!!

May 29, 2012 | 11:35 pm

Best of luck to you! We just finished this not that long ago with my son. It’s not one of my favorite times, that’s for sure!

June 3, 2012 | 5:03 pm

We are at a standstill right now. She hates the potty and everything to do with it so I don’t think it’s time.

14. Stasha
    May 30, 2012 | 12:15 am

You crack me up. She too shall one day stop pooping behind a flower pot. may the force be with you!

June 3, 2012 | 5:03 pm

I hope she does! I’m so sick of asking her if she’s pooping and hearing her grunt NO!

15. Jess
    May 31, 2012 | 2:21 pm

Good luck. It took me a long time to get my second kid trained but it is finally done so there is hope for you.