Us and Them

I received an email forward this week.

It’s my belief that the sender truly didn’t send it maliciously or understand the words that were included in the body of text.

I’m holding fast to that belief.

Because inside that email was directions on how to vote to keep one race’s religion and prayer practice out of our schools. How this race’s beliefs were enraging on our society.

Muslims.

It talked about Muslims specifically. How they had no right to infringe their prayer’s on our children and in their schools, and how prayer had been ripped away from our children so they shouldn’t get it either.

Us and them.

I saw red.

My first reaction was to send an email to all of the senders with my disgust, and I did. I have no tolerance for emails that bread hate. The reaction I received was not favourable but I think it’s important to practice what I preach.

Speak up and Speak out.

The demographic being torn down in that email? They didn’t have the choice to defend themselves.

I’m not going to go into the huge debate that is prayer in schools, or that we have Catholic schools, that some religions take time out and sit during O’Canada because their religion doesn’t recognize it, or that we have Jewish children, Chinese children, and all other races practicing their religions at public schools; but they weren’t mentioned.

I’m not going to take time to explain that just because a Muslim child takes time out to pray that other children have to.

Or that this might bring diversity to children’s lives.

But I am going to stick by my original statement that emails like this breed hate. They encourage an out poor of ridicule and torment towards one specific race and it’s unnecessary.

It’s disgusting.

If you feel passionate about something there are ways to proceed, ways to protest.

Sending emails that are filled with hate backed up by lies isn’t one of them.

How would it feel if someone of that religion received that email? Of their child was about to go to school and they received a mass mailing encouraging them to vote to keep their own religion and believes out of their community?

Us and them.

It isn’t about Us and them!

We are all here together. Why after centuries haven’t we figured that out yet?

12 Responses to Us and Them
  1. Farrah
    June 6, 2012 | 7:12 am

Isn’t it ironic that people who spread these fear mongering emails don’t realize that they too are ‘forcing’ their message on the recipient? I have relatives who sent out emails like this and never understood their logic.

June 6, 2012 | 10:14 am

It`s as thought they feel like they have to get people on board.
      I want no part of it.

2. Jenn@Fox in the City
    June 6, 2012 | 7:19 am

Honestly, my wish is that those who feel the need to create the whole us vs. them atmosphere would realize that none of their religions breed hate . . . it is only how people choose to interpret them that breeds this hatred.

June 6, 2012 | 10:13 am

You are so right! I tried to explain this to the person sending this email but I don`t think they understood.

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 6, 2012 | 7:43 am

I love you speaking up. Always. If there were more people like you in the world, there would be less hatred.

June 6, 2012 | 10:10 am

I couldn`t agree with you more!

4. katery
    June 6, 2012 | 8:23 am

agreed. good for you.

5. Elly
    June 7, 2012 | 10:27 am

We have told my husbands parents numerous times NOT to forward us such emails, that we want no part of it. (We ignore them from my grandmother because she is 93 and it is a waste of breath and energy to argue with her, and I really don’t think she understands what she is forwarding.) We have also told them if they speak that way about other religions while our children are around them, we will not have the children around them. We feel very strongly about not breeding hate of other religions (or really any hate and/or fear mongering, be it religious, sexual preference or cultural…it’s not allowed in our house or around our children.)

6. Nic
    June 7, 2012 | 11:45 am

I’m not going to go into detail about this topic bc you know I feel the same way! I was shocked right with you! I went to a catholic school and I’m not catholic nor did I practice any kind of religion during my 13 years attending. Never once did I treat others diff or was I treated diff. That was almost 20 years ago and it pisses me off that society has regressed and are not excepting! Society should be making progress- and not spreading such hate! What happened to inclusion and being equal! Thank you for speaking out against such hate!!!

7. Robin | Farewell Stranger
    June 8, 2012 | 1:48 pm

I hate stuff like that. >:|

8. Galit Breen
    June 9, 2012 | 3:25 pm

I love your voice, and how you use it.

(But you already know that.)

xo

9. Kir
    June 13, 2012 | 5:51 am

Oh how I LOVE you. Truly, this is exactly why I do. You do stand up and speak out, you voice the LOVE I so desperately I want us, as a human race, to embrace. I hope that BlogHer syndicates this, it should be..people should read this and expand their understanding and acceptance. Your last line..!!!?? PERFECTION! Xoxo

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/06/06/auto-draft-2/trackback/

Us and Them

I received an email forward this week.

I’m holding fast to that belief.

Muslims.

Us and them.

I saw red.

Speak up and Speak out.

Or that this might bring diversity to children’s lives.

It’s disgusting.

Sending emails that are filled with hate backed up by lies isn’t one of them.

Us and them.

It isn’t about Us and them!

We are all here together. Why after centuries haven’t we figured that out yet?

12 Responses to Us and Them
  1. Farrah
    June 6, 2012 | 7:12 am

June 6, 2012 | 10:14 am

It`s as thought they feel like they have to get people on board.
      I want no part of it.

2. Jenn@Fox in the City
    June 6, 2012 | 7:19 am

June 6, 2012 | 10:13 am

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 6, 2012 | 7:43 am

June 6, 2012 | 10:10 am

I couldn`t agree with you more!

4. katery
    June 6, 2012 | 8:23 am

agreed. good for you.

5. Elly
    June 7, 2012 | 10:27 am

6. Nic
    June 7, 2012 | 11:45 am

7. Robin | Farewell Stranger
    June 8, 2012 | 1:48 pm

I hate stuff like that. >:|

8. Galit Breen
    June 9, 2012 | 3:25 pm

I love your voice, and how you use it.

(But you already know that.)

xo