Wait… You’ve Changed.

You’ve been quiet since you got back.

I had food poisoning.

You’ve had it this long?

No, just last week.

Oh, I mean since you’ve been back from Mat leave.

I’ve been back for over a year.

Yeah, you’re not the same. You used to come and visit us in our offices all the time, now you aren’t around as much, you’re quiet.

Oh. I’ve been busy.

________________________________________________

I am different since I returned to work from my maternity leave.

In Canada we are given a year to spend at home with our babies, and in that year I brought a child into the world, I became a new mother, our family dynamic changed, our relationship changed, and I developed Post Partum Depression.

I changed.

But had I not developed PPD I would have still evolved.

I was a woman who came to work, focused on my career aspirations, and networked. My professional goals took president and I was determined to advance.

When my daughter was placed into my arms my focus shifted. My free time is now spent with her. My career, although I love it, is not my main focus, and I am now motivated by her happiness, not my own.

Had I been well the entire maternity leave or come back the way I did, struggling to keep my head above water and grasping for air, I would have still been a different person. I brought a child into the world.  A tiny person who held my heart and who’s smile made all of my uphill battle worth it. I’ve matured and become a mother, I have responsibilities I didn’t have before.

I have slid, crawled, and squirmed into the role of mother. Pushed back road blocks and bushes that were in my way, carved out a place for my arms, and nestled in nicely.

And I am changed.

But I like this change.

12 Responses to Wait… You’ve Changed.
  1. Alison
    July 13, 2012 | 8:52 am

This new you is who you’re supposed to be. xo

July 15, 2012 | 9:11 pm

Thank you Alison. I’m trying hard to accept the “new” me.

2. AnnMarie
    July 13, 2012 | 10:11 am

Love this. I was a teacher before I had kids and wouldn’t have believed you if you told me I wouldn’t be someday. Then they put my son in my arms and my whole being changed. It’s funny how no one ever told me how profoundly I would change or maybe they did and I didn’t believe them.

July 15, 2012 | 9:10 pm

I think someone told me that my life would be different and everything before I had a child would be wrong when she was born.
      They were right.

3. Jenn@Fox in the City
    July 13, 2012 | 11:21 am

So true! There is no way you can be the same person you were before you had your daughter.

July 15, 2012 | 9:02 pm

I really don’t think this is something that people without children can understand

4. Stasha
    July 14, 2012 | 12:16 am

I like this post. Good for you embracing the change!

July 15, 2012 | 9:01 pm

Thanks Stasha. I was really surprised when she said it to me and had to take time to think about her comment

5. Nikky44
    July 14, 2012 | 3:55 am

The change is always beautiful!

July 15, 2012 | 9:00 pm

July 14, 2012 | 8:24 am

I like you just the way you are.
    xo

July 15, 2012 | 9:00 pm

crazy doesn’t recognize crazy lol

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/07/13/wait-youve-changed/trackback/

Wait… You’ve Changed.

You’ve been quiet since you got back.

I had food poisoning.

You’ve had it this long?

No, just last week.

Oh, I mean since you’ve been back from Mat leave.

I’ve been back for over a year.

Oh. I’ve been busy.

________________________________________________

I am different since I returned to work from my maternity leave.

I changed.

But had I not developed PPD I would have still evolved.

And I am changed.

But I like this change.

12 Responses to Wait… You’ve Changed.
  1. Alison
    July 13, 2012 | 8:52 am

This new you is who you’re supposed to be. xo

July 15, 2012 | 9:11 pm

Thank you Alison. I’m trying hard to accept the “new” me.

2. AnnMarie
    July 13, 2012 | 10:11 am

July 15, 2012 | 9:10 pm

They were right.

3. Jenn@Fox in the City
    July 13, 2012 | 11:21 am

July 15, 2012 | 9:02 pm

4. Stasha
    July 14, 2012 | 12:16 am

I like this post. Good for you embracing the change!

July 15, 2012 | 9:01 pm

5. Nikky44
    July 14, 2012 | 3:55 am

The change is always beautiful!

July 15, 2012 | 9:00 pm

July 14, 2012 | 8:24 am

I like you just the way you are.
    xo