Little Girl in the Middle

I go to Aunt Nickey’s!

Not today babe, today you’re home with daddy.

No, I go play.

I know you want to play but today you get to stay home with daddy and do fun stuff!

No thank you.

———————

The loss of Brian’s job isn’t just affecting us financially.

We’re down to one income so we can’t afford daycare which means our daughter is staying home with him.

We’ve been through this before.

But this time it’s different. We aren’t removing her from a centre, or from a weird germ freak who cleans her house 24 hours a day while the children play behind baby gates.

Our daughter goes to a family member that we love, and plays with her children, and asks to go there even on the weekends.

Or when she has trouble sleeping.

She would come home with paint all over her hands, glitter in her diaper, chocolate on her face, and dirt in her shoes.

I couldn’t have been happier!

She was having fun, learning, and loving every day.

But our situation has changed and it’s affecting us all.

It has changed what we do on weekends, where we have planned to go this summer, our excitement over our wedding, and commitments we’ve made.

We are still determined to spin this in a positive light.

But in the middle is a little girl who doesn’t understand why things had to change.

And that kind of sucks.

11 Responses to Little Girl in the Middle
  1. Ali
    July 27, 2012 | 8:46 am

It does suck. When I lost my job and thought the kids were going to have to stay at home with me I was totally distraught. For a few reasons… I hope he finds work soon.

August 1, 2012 | 10:17 pm

If it was me who had lost MY job and had to have her home with me everyday there would have been no post.
      I would be in the corner in the fetal position crying the silent cry.

2. Alison
    July 27, 2012 | 8:56 am

Sorry you are going through this – you guys really need to catch a break!

August 1, 2012 | 10:16 pm

No kidding! I thought we were out of the woods.
      No such luck. But we’re never handed more than we can handle.

3. Nic
    July 27, 2012 | 9:21 am

Awwww love this! I’m very lucky to be given the opportunity to provide daycare for you! It is important to remember it is affecting her! Gosh it’s affecting me too! I miss her too! I’m just glad that we are family and she gets to visit on weekends and plan dates!
    I’m positive things will change soon and everything will work out!
    Love ya!!!! Xoxo Aunt Nic

4. katery
    July 27, 2012 | 11:22 am

ah yes, sounds familiar. i send my daughter to daycare in clean clothes every day and by the time i pick her up she is covered head to toe in things she has eaten or crafts she has done throughout the day. i love that she gets to go and play with other kids though so i really don’t give a crap that she comes home messy. however, there is nothing wrong with a child staying home with a parent instead of going to daycare, some would say that is what’s best for the child anyway. i think the first few weeks of changing a child’s routine can be a little difficult as they do not understand why things are changing, BUT, kids are resilient, and i’m sure that in no time she will become accustomed to her new routine.

August 1, 2012 | 10:15 pm

She’s becoming accustomed to being and home and loving it. She still sees my friend a couple times a week but the cost is still quite a bit. The change is harder on me I think.

5. Mark
    July 27, 2012 | 1:40 pm

You can still visit her, right?
    m.

August 1, 2012 | 10:14 pm

We visit her all the time.
      I’m just sad that it’s all poo.
      I’d rather rainbows and kittens.
      You know.
      Of course you do.

6. Lady Estrogen
    July 28, 2012 | 4:03 pm

Sorry you’re going through this again… and the timing is quite craptacular. Hugs to you!!

August 1, 2012 | 10:13 pm

BLAH.. it’s poo
      Have fun at BlogHer.
      I sent you a fart in an envelope