WTF Wednesday – Customer Service Y’all

After a mega exhausting lunch hour of shopping for some items that I’ll be using at my WEDDING OF THE YEAR (not that people are talking about it at the water cooler or anything), I made my way up to the cashier and placed my breakables on the counter, careful not to chip a single one.

I had chosen each of my items specifically for my needs and didn’t want to see any of them lose their place in my thoroughly thought out plans.

Click for Source

The cashier, a mid 40’s, brown haired woman, smiled at me and we exchanged the normal pleasantries as she rang up my beloved breakable picks.

And then she put them in the bag.

Without wrapping them.

My items, exposed and touching, were screaming for help as I waited for her to notice her mistake and wrap my beautiful items up, but instead she started chatting with her co-worker about her break coming up, her plans for the weekend, and the large order she had just processed.

To quote Angelina from the first season of Jersey Shore: “UMMMM HELLOOOO?!!!”

Why can’t I be American?

I have so many places I want to throw in a Y’all.

Because, y’all I have a serious problem with poor customer service.

Eh!?

I know there are people out there right now starting to type their comments (or not commenting) because they work in the customer service field and the people they wait on are rude and how could I know what that woman was going through? She had sore knees and she works long hours, her dog is sick and her car is broken, she needs a break and hasn’t had time to finish her coffee.

She took the bus this morning and she didn’t have the right change and now she has to go on a date with the bus driver because that’s the only way she could get a ride.  And she’s got cramps.

I’m the worst y’all.

But I’m also right.

I worked in customer service for a LONG time and I didn’t treat people anything like I see customers being treated now.  So, to the lady behind the counter smashin’ up my breakables and rockin’ a banana clip… (and all those other blue smock wearing peeps).

1. I don’t care when your break is

2. I’m fine thank you for asking, now you say you’re fine even if you aren’t (or say nothing). The customer is not someone you should confide in. If you need help talk to your boss or your family.

3. Do not take a personal phone calls or text messages while customers are in line

4. It’s not the customers concern how long you have left until your shift is over

5. Your weekend plans are none of our business

6. Talking about another customer in front of the customer you are currently serving is not professional

7. You are wearing your name on your chest, people know who you are and will complain

8. Dress professionally, you are representing the store you work for and yourself

Now wrap up my breakables so I can throw an awesome party!

Click for Source

WTF y’all! Eh?

What are you Customer Service pet peeves?

17 Responses to WTF Wednesday – Customer Service Y’all
  1. Alison
    August 1, 2012 | 9:25 am

I AGREE!!!

2. lostonthemountains
    August 1, 2012 | 9:30 am

Finally, a comment from me 🙂
    I work in hospitality…so I deal with all kinds of crazy on any given day,but I try to remain professional.
    The best/worst customer service story I have is from a while back: my husband and I went to dinner with another couple. We placed our order for our drinks, started enjoying those while browsing our meal options…the guys had beer,the very visibly pregnant wife ordered a virgin something or other and was very specific on NO liquor,I had water. when the server came back (quite some time later)wife asked “I taste alcohol in this, is this a virgin like I requested?”at which point the server went”Oh my God”and left us sitting there while nearby to get his manager…..this kind of stuff continued all night. By the time I was finished with my letter to corporate, our meals had been comped and we were given a gift card that would more than cover our next visit.

August 1, 2012 | 10:11 pm

I love me some people who let management know what’s up.
      Not appropriate when things like that keep happening.
      One mistake is fine.. two.. okay. But over and over? Yikes.

3. Mark
    August 1, 2012 | 11:20 am

That is just horrible. Sorry about that. In all my years of waiting table, before kids came along, I was very proud of my customer service skills. So much so that I can still remember when I effed up and didn’t act so professional.
    If someone is not professional in front of me, I let them know. On the other hand, if someone is super wonderful, I’ll go out of my way to let their manager. See, I’m not a total bitch!
    m.

August 1, 2012 | 10:09 pm

Doodle! I have never thought you were a bitch.
      I’m with you… if someone is awesome I let their supervisor know.
      If they are not, I let their supervisor as well as them know.
      That’s the way that things should work.
      You and I should be the Prime Minister/President

• lostonthemountains
      August 1, 2012 | 10:22 pm

I agree…it’s so rare to get GREAT service anymore that I make sure to contact a manager, fill out a comment card/email, whatever it takes to recognize someone who is doing the job and doing it fantastically.

4. Jackie
    August 1, 2012 | 11:32 am

I think that you covered the majority of them…. wait… there is always one who doesn’t acknowledge your existence but scans your entire order!

August 1, 2012 | 10:08 pm

Oh!!! I get all kinds of grouchy then!
      I can’t be held responsible for my behaviour when a sales person ignores me.

5. Rach (DonutsMama)
    August 1, 2012 | 3:10 pm

I just feel like that whatever you’ve got going on, sometimes you need to put it aside and do your job. There were days I had to plaster on a smile & act all chipper even though I was down in the dumps. There should be a line between personal and professional. And not wrapping breakables is just a lack of common sense.

August 1, 2012 | 10:07 pm

I know what you mean! I thought it was a lack of common sense too.. until it happened at the next store as well.

6. Jenny
    August 1, 2012 | 4:16 pm

I worked in customer service for years until five years ago. I always made it a point to treat all my customers with courtesy and respect. I worked a lot with my employees to ensure that they were providing great service. I’m with Rach. Wrapping breakables is a no brainer.

August 1, 2012 | 10:04 pm

Exactly! That’s what I thought too.. but it happened at TWO stores in a row!

7. Jackie
    August 1, 2012 | 9:58 pm

Guess I’m not so polite…would have said “are you not gonna wrap those?” Right away…

August 1, 2012 | 10:03 pm

lol… I asked her if she could please wrap them… what I didn’t include in the post was that this was the SECOND store I had been at that didn’t wrap my breakables without me asking!

August 1, 2012 | 10:03 pm

You know what drives me nuts these days? People thinking they don’t need to tell you your total when they ring you up, just because the screen faces out and the total’s on that little credit card dealie. I still want to hear from you that I am spending a ridiculous $67.92 on NOTHING from Target!

9. Nic
    August 1, 2012 | 10:36 pm

Ahhhhhhh this makes me want to climb under a table because I know if I had been with you- your facial expressions would tell me to run and hide before you explode! I’m kinda glad I wasn’t with you! Sad that your experience sucked but you made excellent points here! People need a refresher!

August 5, 2012 | 3:41 pm