Because of Hopelessness…Not Laziness

One of my offices is situated out of the main part of the city. I have to drive to get something to eat if I forget my lunch, it’s out of the way, and there’s a nice view of the lush green grass that’s grown now that summers coming.

If I look far enough I can see fields and rolling hills and the ends of the city limits within reach.

On Friday afternoons I look out of the window and gaze into the horizon begging 4:00 to come faster so that I can enjoy the sun, my family, and the weekend. I make mental notes of all of the things I want to accomplish while I’m at home and get excited about future projects.

My second office is in the heart of the city.

A building surrounded by concrete and busy streets, honking horns and sirens. The poverty line is drawn boldly there and it’s obvious that we are below it. Individuals suffering from addiction, mental health issues, and homelessness comb the streets, stand in entrance ways, and sit in coffee shops, each one with their own unique story.

Cigarette butts are priceless, a cup of coffee is gold, and a warm blanket or pillow is a staple, carried around where ever they go.

I am filled with a mixture of gratitude and sadness when I work out of this office.

I am grateful for what I have, for who I am, and for the people I have in my life.

And I’m overwhelmed with a sadness for those on the street who don’t know where to go to access the resources they need to get help.

If it wasn’t for my circle of support I could be one of those people I see sitting in the bus stop shelter every day, my hollow eyes lost and hopeless.

Feeling like them, like I’m suffering alone.

Homeless… not because of laziness but because of hopelessness.

Click for Source

Mental illness effects one in five Canadian adults every year, with those affected having to manage public stigma, limited resources, family strain, and misdiagnosis.

Often embarrassment or the inability to pay for medication will end drastically.

Loss of family; home; job; friends; belongings.

Resulting in an untreated homeless adult with mental health issues.

Suffering alone.

Homeless…. because of hopelessness, not laziness.

Next time you come across someone on the street think of this when you cast a look their way or ignore them. What if it was you?

9 Responses to Because of Hopelessness…Not Laziness
  1. Alison
    August 15, 2012 | 8:27 am

Love your big heart and your social awareness. xo

2. Mrs. Jen B
    August 15, 2012 | 9:34 am

I think many or even most people won’t allow themselves to think of just how the homeless came to this state because it’s too painful to think about. It’s overwhelming. And it leads to the scary thought of just how easy it could be to end up that way.

Much easier to ignore them or wrinkle their nose in distaste.

Very sad.

August 20, 2012 | 3:20 pm

I remember trying to avoid looking because I didn’t want to think of what could have happened in their lives. It’s hard for a lot of people to look reality in the face.

3. Erin
    August 15, 2012 | 10:06 pm

It’s scary how close the two sides of the tracks really can be. How it can be so easy to slip from one side to the other..I’ve watched mental illness in my family from the sidelines of the ‘better’ side of the tracks and still it’s SO. DAMN. HARD. It was a slap in the face reality check to think how much HARDER it COULD be. One of those people could so easily be someone I love, could be someone who slipped through the cracks.

Wonderful post. Struck a few cords in me that are making me want to curl into a hole a little bit…so I can’t properly say what I want to say…but I’m really glad you wrote it. It needs to be said. It needs to be acknowledged. Thanks for being a voice.

August 19, 2012 | 6:57 pm

Thank you so much for understanding my words and for seeing what I was trying to say.
      Your comment has made me more than happy, it tells me that other people know that mental illness is hard and that there’s a fine line when you have support and when you don’t.

August 15, 2012 | 10:58 pm

I hate how people, even sometimes myself, view the homeless as lazy or incompetent. Sometimes all they need is a break. It’s hard to tell who will make the most of a stranger’s kindness and who will waste it, but I’d rather say I tried than say I didn’t try because I assumed the worst.

I’m so happy you are here and that you have the support you do. And that you bring us these beautiful words.

August 19, 2012 | 6:56 pm

Thank you.. for reading me and for encouraging me. I get discouraged and feel like the posts I put out are falling on deaf ears but you always seem to come along with support and loving words at just the right time.
      xox love you.

5. Laverne
    August 16, 2012 | 7:23 am

Does your heart ever end. In between your life you take the time to notice this and then not only deeply reflect on it all but go to a place I am sure many would not go. That could be me. And on top of all that take a stance about it to make sure others become aware!!

The huge thing that blogging has taught me and made me incredibly aware of is that everyone has a story. I may not know what it is. It may be a good story. It may be a sad story. It may be a painful story. So until I know the truth do not judge and think the best in people ( well I try to do that not perfect). Thank you for the reminder of the other story about people!

August 19, 2012 | 6:54 pm

Your comments fill me with love. Thank you for recognizing my words and what I’m trying to do. Letting me know that what I say matters means more than I could ever express.
      xoxoxoxo

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/08/15/hopeless-laziness/trackback/

Because of Hopelessness…Not Laziness

My second office is in the heart of the city.

Feeling like them, like I’m suffering alone.

Homeless… not because of laziness but because of hopelessness.

Click for Source

Loss of family; home; job; friends; belongings.

Resulting in an untreated homeless adult with mental health issues.

Suffering alone.

Homeless…. because of hopelessness, not laziness.

9 Responses to Because of Hopelessness…Not Laziness
  1. Alison
    August 15, 2012 | 8:27 am

Love your big heart and your social awareness. xo

2. Mrs. Jen B
    August 15, 2012 | 9:34 am

Much easier to ignore them or wrinkle their nose in distaste.

Very sad.