Tattle Tongue

“Don’t be a Tattle Tongue!”

His little face was fierce with 4-year-old seriousness.

My daughter looked at him, cocked her head, and rolled over laughing.

What was a Tattle Tongue?

My friend, this little mans mom, explained that she had no idea what a “Tattle Tongue” was either until one of her son’s daycare providers told her.

A Tattle Tongue is something you get from tattling. If you tattle your tongue turns purple and yellow, giving you a Tattle Tongue!

Something they tell the children.

——————-

My friend has a good daycare… as a whole, this isn’t about the quality of care they provide.

And I understand this was probably meant as a way to get children to stop coming to teachers all day long with petty annoyances.

Children don’t know the difference between annoying tattling and things that really need to be spoken to adults about.

Because guess what?

They learn by tattling.

Please, PLEASE, encourage children to talk, share, and to tell.

Take time to discuss problem solving.

And explain the difference between a secret and a surprise.

Talk to the children in your life honestly.

They’re learning from you.

8 Responses to Tattle Tongue
  1. Alison
    November 26, 2012 | 2:06 am

I wish my son would tattle. I just want him to talk like a normal 3 year old. Sigh. Stupid speech delay.

November 26, 2012 | 12:16 pm

Jebus…school these days. That’s how we prevent things like bullying. If they’re taught not to say anything then shame on them.

December 8, 2012 | 11:16 am

Exactly! Bullying, abuse, concerns at home, etc. What in the hell are we teaching kids?

3. Karen
    November 26, 2012 | 12:38 pm

It’s so, so important to teach them the differences and for the kids to know they can come and talk to you!

4. Roxanne
    November 26, 2012 | 3:26 pm

My son’s kindergarten just introduced the “Tattle Bear”. Which is a stuffed bear they must ‘tattle’ to. I don’t like it. Not one little bit.

December 8, 2012 | 11:15 am

I don’t like it either! The concept of encouraging children to not come to adults is damaging. I so don’t get it.

5. Andrea
    November 27, 2012 | 12:31 pm

Yes. So much yes. We teach my daughter to talk to her teachers if something is happening. It’s not a tattle unless it’s that whining I can’t do this because so-and-so won’t let me or when she’s with another kid (usually my niece, who started school earlier and is more prone to tattling!) and wants to just say *She won’t let me!!!!* ~ I’m rambling and making not enough sense, but I love this post anyway!

December 8, 2012 | 11:15 am

I love what you said, I don’t know if I’ve replied or not yet to this comment but this post was very important to me because when I learned that this was happening in a daycare I was astounded.
      I agree with you! So important to talk to adults and learn what is tattling and what is a concern.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2012/11/25/tattle-tongue/trackback/

Tattle Tongue

“Don’t be a Tattle Tongue!”

His little face was fierce with 4-year-old seriousness.

My daughter looked at him, cocked her head, and rolled over laughing.

What was a Tattle Tongue?

Something they tell the children.

——————-

Because guess what?

They learn by tattling.

Please, PLEASE, encourage children to talk, share, and to tell.

Take time to discuss problem solving.

And explain the difference between a secret and a surprise.

Talk to the children in your life honestly.

They’re learning from you.

8 Responses to Tattle Tongue