Bald Spots and a Twitch

My daughter is 2 1/2.

If you have/had a child this age you have bald spots and a twitch.

This is the age where they are developing their opinion, imagination, and attitude. They’re learning about independence, choices, and becoming little people.

For parents it’s a crossroads.

No longer your little baby… but still peeing on the couch cushions.

Sometimes we need little reminders that these little people are just that.

Little People.

They haven’t been here as long as we have.

We’ve had 32 25 years to learn that it’s not appropriate to dup a drink all over the floor, scream at the top of our lungs while people are engaged in conversation, pick the cat up by the neck, or eat toothpaste.

They’re still learning and need reminders.

Because every day they learn so very much, and those rules that we throw at them are hard to remember when they’re also experiencing snow; Christmas; a big truck; picking the cat up by the neck; peeing on the potty; drinking from a big girl cup.

It’s easy to say that a child isn’t well behaved or needs better structure, but perhaps we just need to have patience.

Try to keep in mind they are absorbing so much and it’s our job as parents and role models to teach.

They’re learning from us.

Many adults are still not where my 2 1/2 year old is…

I’m still learning to use my indoor voice.

13 Responses to Bald Spots and a Twitch
  1. Jenn@Fox in the City
    December 5, 2012 | 9:00 am

How true! There are days I really need to work on my “treating others with kindness” bit.

December 8, 2012 | 11:00 am

Me too! I have to remind myself on a regular basis that she’s learning so much everyday

2. Kristen
    December 5, 2012 | 12:03 pm

I have an idea why you posted this one…don’t take “some” peoples reactions to heart…I know it’s hard but imagine yourself 10 years ago…you didn’t have patience for the little ones either…it’s something you gain with having your OWN children…and not everyone has had or gets that experience…so maybe a little tiny bit of patience for those people is needed too. xoxo

3. Jenny
    December 5, 2012 | 12:35 pm

I so needed this reminder today. My two year old is developing such an attitude. It’s hard not to take it personally. I am still working on my inside voice and my patience. Hugs.

December 8, 2012 | 10:59 am

It’s very very hard not to lose it when they start getting snotty!

4. katery
    December 5, 2012 | 11:26 pm

i had an eye twitch for the majority of my pregnancy, it was awesome… NOT.

December 8, 2012 | 10:56 am

I think with my next pregnancy I’ll just tape my eye shut

5. Sarcasm Goddess
    December 6, 2012 | 2:42 am

Many, many, MANY adults have not learned the things you mentioned. Which makes we want to dump a sippy cup of juice on their head. Actually…I have done that, except it was a solo cup of rum and coke. It totally wasn’t my fault though. Probably.

December 8, 2012 | 10:53 am

I think I would trust you with my child more than most people I know who have children

6. Lady Estrogen
    December 6, 2012 | 12:58 pm

WHERE IS MY INDOOR VOICE? I LOST IT 3 WEEKS AGO, apparently.

December 8, 2012 | 10:51 am

I have a feeling you never had an inside voice. lol

December 7, 2012 | 6:29 am

i learned that it should be socially acceptable to fly out of the bathroom half naked, bend over and expose your “spider” and shout “Is my butt clean”
    Kids.