Earplugs, Zoloft, and Barney

I remember before I had children I would look at friends of mine who had toddlers and giggle as they loaded their DVD players with the same movies over and over again.

Singing cartoons and adults dressed like animals invaded their living rooms while their children spun circles and sang along with the music. Everything in toddler land was footloose and carefree… until the movie ended.

scream1

That’s when I made the decision that when I had children I would never allow this movie attachment nonsense.

MY child would never get attached to a ridiculous DVD that bound me by sanity to set on repeat, put in earplugs, and pop a Zoloft.

I would engage with my child, sit on pillows in the middle of the floor while my air exchange took the bad air out and pumped the good air in, and we would build blocks out of recycled materials.

But once I had my daughter reality punched me right in the face.

And then when she turned two it kicked me in the rib cage for good measure.

Have you ever heard a toddlers demand to watch Barney over and over again?

Have you seen the hypnotic way they stare at the screen while he sings his purple songs mixed deliciously in with headache and annoyance?

They drink it in and they want more.

No amount of maternal love or candy can come between a toddler and their favourite movie.

watching Barne1y

Accept it, push repeat, and put in your ear plugs.

Just don’t watch it… it only takes once to get drawn in and begin to sing the songs right along with them.

17 Responses to Earplugs, Zoloft, and Barney
  1. AnnMarie
    December 16, 2012 | 9:16 pm

My toddler’s favorites at the moment are Rolie Polie Olie (has to be the Halloween version), Pajanimals and The Bearnstain Bears. They are constantly on and I have to admit, I get sucked in to the last two. I can totally relate to this!

December 18, 2012 | 10:56 pm

we’ve been down the Rolie Polie road. But it was never an obsession like this. I can’t imagine her been taken with three, you poor woman. you need booze

2. Alison
    December 16, 2012 | 10:01 pm

I remember when my niece was OBSESSED with Barney. After two repeats, I wanted to stab myself in the eyes with hot pokers.

December 18, 2012 | 10:53 pm

I’m at that place Alison…

3. Julie
    December 16, 2012 | 10:53 pm

Ohhhhh yes. Most definitely. While I was adamant we wait until after two for tv, we more than made up for the missed time around here. He will watch the same Barney movie over and over and over…

December 18, 2012 | 10:48 pm

How amazing that you did that! will you do that with your second? How will that be arranged? I have so many questions… what did you do all day? I sound like a horrible mother… tell me everything.

December 18, 2012 | 10:50 pm

I meant what did you do with your child when you wanted peace and quiet and you need a little sit down and a sneaky nap..not “what did you do all day *in a rude rich girl voice”

December 16, 2012 | 10:55 pm

OMG that picture is awesome.

I can’t make myself show them Barney. But they are hooked on Dora and Diego, which I also swore I never wanted to show them. Meh. It’s cute to watch the 3 of them sitting on the couch and actually answering Dora’s questions or repeating the Spanish. And I’m surprised sometimes how well they recover from the turning off of the tv. Most of the time.

December 18, 2012 | 10:47 pm

OOOHH that dora! She took over our house for about three weeks. Enough that we have a dora potty.

5. Andrea
    December 16, 2012 | 11:05 pm

Oh I have sooooo been there. It wasn’t Barney for us. Though it could have been. Their intense desire drives us out a window, does it not? And those songs really DO suck you in!

December 18, 2012 | 10:46 pm

I really didn’t expect this stage. I thought we might have by passed us.
      I was naive.

December 17, 2012 | 12:20 pm

Oh I refuse the Barney. I thought Yo Gabba Gabba was the way to go but they’re just as annoying. Then I introduced him to Tom And Jerry.

December 18, 2012 | 10:45 pm

Tom and Jerry and The bugs bunny and tweety show are what we have started watching on saturdays! She doesn’t get it though.

7. Lady Estrogen
    December 17, 2012 | 1:59 pm

Zoloft must be the answer because although I have played Cars & Cars 2 at least 200 times, I just cannot allow 5 minutes of Barney or Caillou. Just. Can’t. Do it.

December 18, 2012 | 10:44 pm

Caillou is not allowed in my house.
      Whinny brat.

8. Laurie
    December 18, 2012 | 8:43 am

Hi Leighann :) I can definitely relate to this topic. Watching Barney would definitely annoy me also! Luckily I managed to find a show that Davin loves, that I REALLY like too! It is pretty much the only show that he watches. I would recommend The Imagination Movers. It is a group of four young guys (in their 30’s?) and they are silly and fun. They sing too. I think they are great! You should check them out…it might give you a break from Barney! :P Haha

December 18, 2012 | 10:43 pm

We love the Imagination Movers around her!!!
      I wanted to go and see them when they were in town.
      But they can’t take away Barney’s fame.