Is That All You’re Going to do All Day?

I woke up to my toddler’s hands in my hair. I wish I could paint a picture of her gently sweeping the hair from my face while she told me how much she loved me but that would be a horrific lie.

I won’t do that to you.

Instead I’ll tell you that my dream about a shirtless Ryan Gosling stranger and a skinny version of myself was ended abruptly by tiny fingers wrapping themselves tightly around my hair and into my skull.

Her bony hands pulled me close and whispered “Mommy, I want a treat.”

Before I even opened my eyes I willed my brain to reach Brian’s and telepathically tell him to make coffee, for the Love of all things Toddler please make coffee.

7:00 am – There was no coffee.

After swearing in my head and imagining the coffee maker flying through the window I made coffee, bargained with the toddler regarding breakfast and sat down to look over social media; my morning routine while on holidays.

“Is that all you’re going to do today?”

I says pardon?

Social media is a touchy subject in my home. It is a source of income but is also takes up precious time that I could be spending with my family. Over the two years I have been involved in blogging and freelance writing I have had to learn to change my schedule in order to accomplish my work on time but also be available to my daughter and husband.

In our house the Mommy is the parent who holds the magic potion when there’s a boo boo or sleep won’t come easily; Mommy has the honour of getting up at night when a soother is lost or it’s too dark to see; Mommy sleeps on the couch when there’s no more room in the bed.

The bathroom isn’t cleaned by a magic fairy who slips in the door during the night, it’s cleaned by this mom, who sweats and swears under her breath; then gets up to find more cleaner and discovers the closet is a mess so she organizes that; then find toys stuffed under a pile of bags and puts them away; then finds the toddlers room in disarray and straightens it; thinking she’s done she heads to the kitchen and passes the bathroom on the way and realizes she was in the middle of cleaning the nasty toilet, and goes back to gagging over dry urine, questioning why it’s so difficult to pee IN the toilet.

A quick check in on the toddler shows her playing quietly and watching Barney. There are pleads for treats which are ignored.

Just as the bathroom is clean and the coffee pot is about to finish, the buzzer to the washer goes off and reminds her that the laundry needs to be switched before it sits in water for 3 days.

While she’s down there she might as well fold laundry and tidy up.

Tiny feet are heard upstairs and sounds which could only be that of a chair making its way to the counter. someone has decided to get their own treat.

Plus size mom becomes a gymnast and hits the stairs two at a time. Out of breath and fighting a heart attack she reaches the toddler in time and discusses safety.

The coffee pot, even cold, sits staring at tired mom and begs to be poured – yes please.

8:30am

Yes, this was all she was going to do today.

11 Responses to Is That All You’re Going to do All Day?
  1. Alison
    January 2, 2013 | 6:06 am

Our work never ends, does it? Sigh.

2. Diana
    January 2, 2013 | 8:16 am

This reminds me of a joke I read that went something like:
    A husband came home to work, unable to park in his driveway because it was overrun with bikes and other toys. He went inside to find a naked toddler playing quietly in the living room, which was in complete disarray. He found the same mess all over the place and eventually found his wife laying in bed. He asked her what was going on, to which she replied, “Remember when you asked me what it was I did all day?” “Yeah,” he said. “Well today I didn’t do it.”

3. Kir
    January 2, 2013 | 10:30 am

sometimes it’s just good to know that we’re all doing the same thing isn’t it?
    I feel that pull, to straighten, to clean, to organize these days too..and while we all are doing the same thing, (even working) we are pulled closer together as mothers..as mommys who DO.

Hope you enjoyed a bit of that coffee my sweet friend.

4. Roxanne
    January 2, 2013 | 11:51 am

All so familiar. Especially the never-ending cleaning cycle.

5. Jenn@Fox in the City
    January 2, 2013 | 1:28 pm

Hahaha, oh so familiar. Brad actually mentioned the other day that I hadn’t blogged in quite a while . . . I may have mentioned that I would have a wee bit more time to blog if he would consider actually, you know, cleaning the bathroom once in a while!

6. Greta
    January 2, 2013 | 1:38 pm

Yep, I can relate! I do most of my blogging/SM catching up in the mornings while the little two entertain themselves. Shhh….

January 2, 2013 | 2:02 pm

Being on the computer when the husband is home and the kids are up is always a point of contention. I noticed that as long as I make clear my intentions, it goes much smoother.

The going from one task to another without really finishing anything is my LIFE! xo

January 8, 2013 | 2:44 pm

I don’t think they will every truly get what we do on here or how important it is for us to connect. Sisterwife

8. Galit Breen
    January 3, 2013 | 7:56 am

Oh how familiar this is!

{And your opening? OMG, love!}

Sending coffee STAT!

January 8, 2013 | 2:43 pm

Thank you so much Galit! seeing you here is always flattering

9. Miss Marina Star
    January 7, 2013 | 9:01 am

Trying to find quiet moments to spend online, on Twitter, on Facebook, on any sort of device has been difficult for me. I always feel like there’s something else I “should” be doing. And you’re so right, one task leads to another, leads to another, ad infinitum!