Cracked Nipples? Yes Please!

Shortly after having my daughter, and being diagnosed with PPD, I remember staring at my busy baby and wondering how anyone ever got to the point of wanting more children.

I couldn’t imagine someone wanting to go through sleepless nights, explosive diapers, or sore nipples a second time.

And I couldn’t imagine going through PPD again.

Spit up covered me from head to toe, I struggled with my role as a mother, and had set out to convince my husband that we were finished having any more children.

But he has never been very cooperative.

I agreed to be open-minded.

It was August, and our daughter was two and a half, when we decided we might want another one.

Might…

It took us a while to get pregnant with our daughter so we were under the impression it would take some time for a second.

Perfect, because I needed sometime to warm up to the idea of adding to our family.

In October I suffered a Miscarriage.

My heart ached from the loss and I struggled with understanding why it happened; whether it was a sign telling us not to have anymore children.

But as I began to heal, the yearn for another baby became stronger.

I would do it again.

I want to do it again.

I will happily go through morning sickness, lack of sleep, more chin hair, and swollen feet. I’m ready to rock back and forth all night long, change a million diapers, hold a tiny baby body, and give my daughter a sibling.

But sometimes it takes time.

And with time comes more heartache, more doubt, and building frustration.

“If it’s meant to be it will be,” “It will happen,” “Be patient.”

I’m not patient.

But for now I have no choice.

Imagine … frustrated because you can’t wait for your nipples to crack.

15 Responses to Cracked Nipples? Yes Please!
  1. Mama and the City
    January 24, 2013 | 12:41 am

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

While I toy with the idea of another baby, I’m not too fond on the idea of the bad symptoms of pregnancy or post delivery.

But I guess that’s what makes it great so we remember that precious time.

January 28, 2013 | 1:07 pm

The thought of another miscarriage is frightening but I so want to hold another baby and give my daughter a sibling.
      Going back is a lot of work though.

2. Alison
    January 24, 2013 | 1:21 am

It’d happen, Leighann!
    Patience, yes. It’s hard, but it’d be worth it.

January 28, 2013 | 1:04 pm

Patience and waiting is SO hard!!
      but you’re so right, it’ll be worth it.

3. Jordan
    January 24, 2013 | 10:05 am

Beautiful! I’m so happy for you guys. You will be an amazing momma to two babies:) I will send positive baby vibes your way:) ps in scared to go back to but the good thing is we know it gets easier and it’s an amazing accomplishment to see how smart and beautiful our babies grow up to be. So here’s to cracked bleeding nipples;)

January 28, 2013 | 1:03 pm

Send me lots of baby love… I’ll be over at your house A LOT once that tiny boy is born.

4. Julie
    January 24, 2013 | 12:52 pm

Prayers, thoughts, vibes and all kinds of baby dust to you guys! Be patient with your body, and remember to have drunken sex at least twice during your “window.” 😉

Seriously. I’m telling you, drunk sperm seem to REALLY be able to hit the mark well.

January 28, 2013 | 1:02 pm

I love this comment so much.

Off to the beer store.

January 24, 2013 | 12:54 pm

So proud of you. Hang onto that patience, friend.

6. Jenn Sprung
    January 24, 2013 | 1:07 pm

Sweet Jeebus my nipples hurt just thinking about it! Ouch ouch ouch! I remember staring down into the biggest eyes you can imagine, bracing myself for latch and let-down, and having the strongest urge to set the baby down in the middle of the bed and RUN like heck. Because surely those huge eyes blinking back at me in the moonlight were those of some alien being. And then, we had another. Isn’t life strange??

Much luck and love on the next leg of your journey!

January 28, 2013 | 1:02 pm

I can remember the cringing; mentally preparing myself for feeding, and wishing I didn’t have to. But once I couldn’t breast feed anymore I was so upset. I can’t wait to try again.

• Jenn Sprung
        January 28, 2013 | 1:16 pm

The second time was a little easier because I knew what to expect :). Just make sure you have cold cabbage in the fridge the first week you are home! I laughed at the idea the first time, the second time I laughed at myself for being so stubborn the first time around! So excited for your family! It will happen <3

January 28, 2013 | 4:03 pm

what do I do with cold cabbage? I’m afraid of the answer.

January 28, 2013 | 7:55 am

It will happen. I suck at patience too, but it is so worth it.

January 28, 2013 | 12:48 pm

Thanks Kimberly… it feels like we’re always waiting. I have faith though.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/01/23/cracked-nipples-yes-please/trackback/

Cracked Nipples? Yes Please!

And I couldn’t imagine going through PPD again.

But he has never been very cooperative.

I agreed to be open-minded.

Might…

In October I suffered a Miscarriage.

But as I began to heal, the yearn for another baby became stronger.

I would do it again.

I want to do it again.

But sometimes it takes time.

And with time comes more heartache, more doubt, and building frustration.

“If it’s meant to be it will be,” “It will happen,” “Be patient.”

I’m not patient.

But for now I have no choice.

Imagine … frustrated because you can’t wait for your nipples to crack.

15 Responses to Cracked Nipples? Yes Please!
  1. Mama and the City
    January 24, 2013 | 12:41 am

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

But I guess that’s what makes it great so we remember that precious time.

January 28, 2013 | 1:07 pm

Going back is a lot of work though.

2. Alison
    January 24, 2013 | 1:21 am

It’d happen, Leighann!
    Patience, yes. It’s hard, but it’d be worth it.

January 28, 2013 | 1:04 pm

Patience and waiting is SO hard!!
      but you’re so right, it’ll be worth it.

3. Jordan
    January 24, 2013 | 10:05 am

January 28, 2013 | 1:03 pm

4. Julie
    January 24, 2013 | 12:52 pm

January 28, 2013 | 1:02 pm

I love this comment so much.

Off to the beer store.

January 24, 2013 | 12:54 pm

So proud of you. Hang onto that patience, friend.

6. Jenn Sprung
    January 24, 2013 | 1:07 pm

Much luck and love on the next leg of your journey!

January 28, 2013 | 1:02 pm

• Jenn Sprung
        January 28, 2013 | 1:16 pm

January 28, 2013 | 4:03 pm

what do I do with cold cabbage? I’m afraid of the answer.

January 28, 2013 | 7:55 am

It will happen. I suck at patience too, but it is so worth it.

January 28, 2013 | 12:48 pm

Thanks Kimberly… it feels like we’re always waiting. I have faith though.