Squeezing in Activity… How?

I generally don’t post about my weight.

Not because I don’t care about it, but because I have battled it my whole life and I know that most women struggle with insecurities surrounding their physical appearance.

I don’t need to write about all of the diets and healthy living plans I’ve done; the exercise routines, videos, and classes; the shakes, pills, and Dr. Oz’s.

If you’ve had a weight problem then you’ve done them too.

Being overweight isn’t about eating too much, not moving enough, or letting yourself go, it’s a combination of so many things for so many people.

Depression.

Genetics.

Thyroid.

Filling emotional gaps with food, loneliness, unhealthy eating habits, the price of healthy foods, grief, medications, stress, willpower, abuse, etc.

And it’s different for every single one of us.

For me it’s finding the time.

How do I make time to get active?

ID-10099825[1]

That’s where you come in.

I can control what I eat and have fun planning lunches, dinners, and snacks, but we lead busy lives and finding the time to sneak in activity is hard.

How do YOU do it?

My commute is long; I work an 8 hour day; I have a toddler and a husband I like to spend time with; as well as freelancing, friends, bath time, cleaning, laundry, groceries, family, etc.

Where do you squeeze in your activity? A pedometer to count steps? Small exercises throughout the day? At lunch?

As I get older I’m concerned about heart health and want to include daily activity into my lifestyle, please share your tips!

15 Responses to Squeezing in Activity… How?
  1. Alison
    January 30, 2013 | 11:42 am

When I worked, I found that the best time to workout was first thing in the morning. Get it out of the way, and feel good the whole day. It means waking up super early, but totally worth it. Good luck!

January 30, 2013 | 8:39 pm

This seems to be a popular suggestion… it makes me tired just thinking about it LOL

2. Mrs. Jen B
    January 30, 2013 | 11:48 am

I have a commute which works out to about 3.5-4 hrs a day, and I work in an office, so I understand. Yet I get the most activity on the days I go to work. I used to do a lot of walking at lunch, but with the weather being as cold as it’s been that hasn’t been possible. So here’s what I do:

– I drink a LOT of water during the day so I’m always visiting the ladies room. I either walk down to the one on the first floor from the third floor and back up (that’s 40 stairs down and up), or when I visit the ladies room near my desk (and if I’m the only person in the room) I’ll march in place for a minute or two. With all those trips to the bathroom, it really adds up! And sometimes if I need a boost I’ll run in place really fast for a count of 100 to get the blood flowing.

– I march in place while brushing my teeth, drying my hair, washing dishes, even preparing dinner. I try to never stand still if I can help it.

– I take dance breaks throughout the day. Ten minutes or so while getting ready for work, another ten or 15 while changing after work. Not, like, hardcore sweaty dancing. Just shaking it and enjoying moving.

– When doing chores, like taking laundry or other things from one floor to another, I’ll always take the most trips possible now rather than trying to take a few things at once.

These are just a few examples. Bottom line, whatever works and whatever helps get your butt moving is much better than feeling overwhelmed by a workout routine and not doing anything at all as a result. Do whatever you can!

January 30, 2013 | 8:37 pm

Jen, you have really inspired me! I’m going to purchase a pedometer and start step counting and doing the things you’ve suggested! I think incorporating all of the things above is a great way to stay active throughout the day without cutting into my family time!

3. Nic
    January 30, 2013 | 1:00 pm

I’m totally nervous to say this but- add more sex into your life. And not the 5 min kind. I started to lose weight when I started having more sex- longer sex. Not only will it improve your marriage but you burn off calories. I know I know! Seriously try it.
    Also I find cleaning with load music gets me moving! My abs always hurt after I clean the tub. I hate to clean so making it fun works and every little bit of moving helps. Xoxo Nic

January 30, 2013 | 8:35 pm

I want to comment but I can’t… my mom and mother-in-law read this.
      I can say you look fantastic. LOL

January 30, 2013 | 4:54 pm

I know I don’t go to work, but I still can’t fit in any activity during the day unless my husband is home. So the only way I can guarantee a run is if I get up and go first thing in the morning. I’m not going to lie, it sucks, but getting out of bed and out the door is the hardest part. On the weekends, or on the rare work from home day, I can usually go late morning/early afternoon, but late morning is best. The closer to afternoon it gets, the more tired I get and more I try to convince myself not to go.

I have almost drastically changed my eating habits in the last few months. I have counted calorie after calorie, but the only way I ever saw any results was to cut out most of my bread. It sucked at first, and I still indulge in the occasional pizza night or trip to the bagel store, but in general, I stopped eating sandwiches regularly, and I only eat toasted sprouted grain bread — the kind that’s in the freezer section. Turns out my body LOVES bread and loves leaving it hanging around my midsection.

I hope you can find a time to get some exercise in!

January 30, 2013 | 8:34 pm

I’ve been toying with the carb cutting. I think I’m going to have to make it a reality because my metabolism can’t break them down.
      I have to seriously give you a thumbs up for the morning work out. I’m lucky if I can get up when my alarm goes off for work, let alone a work out.

5. Imperfect Momma
    January 30, 2013 | 9:12 pm

Well, in the simplest ways? Add extra steps to your day. When you park your car? (Wherever – store or work) Park far away. Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.

Walking is literally the best way to get the extra activity. So if you as a family take a walk after dinner, even if it’s a slow walk? It’s still counts. Exercise is exercise

January 31, 2013 | 9:42 pm

Exactly; exercise is exercise! I need to remember that and let go of the pressure to do structured activity

6. Lisa Henderson
    January 30, 2013 | 9:13 pm

While I don’t have children, I tend to commit to too much! Although I’ve been avoiding the pool while I’ve been sick, I was going and swimming laps for a half hour in the mornings before work. And although I was working out in the morning, for me personally I didn’t have to get up any earlier. I make T take care of the dog. I roll out of bed, throw my swim suit on and a pair of workout pants over top (I don’t bother with a shirt over top of my suit), grab my bag (which I pack the night before) and a muffin and yogurt for breakfast on the road. Get to the gym as it opens, swim, shower, dress, etc. and off to work. Because my decisions clothing wise are already made, and I have no distractions (ie/ dog, cat and internet), I gain a ton of time which allows me to work out. A 1/2 hour may not be perfect, but its a great start to the day!

January 31, 2013 | 9:43 pm

You are one motivated girl Lisa! I think your routine sounds excellent… I love swimming and need to really access our community centre more!

7. Rach (DonutsMama)
    January 30, 2013 | 10:04 pm

I’m terrible about this so I’m probably the last person to be giving advice, but I’m going to anyway! I bought some exercise dvd’s for home & I think out cable channels have some workouts I can do too. But mainly when the weather is warm, I get out the stroller and D & I take a walk. I find the walk plus sunshine does me a lot of good.

January 31, 2013 | 9:44 pm

Brian and I were just talking about getting out of the house after dinner every night and going for a walk. Even if its only for 20 minutes at least we’re getting out.

8. Jenny
    February 1, 2013 | 5:04 pm

I am lucky to have an onsite fitness center. I used to feel guilty going there for workouts. My commute is fairly long too, and I am too exhausted at night to exercise. I try to walk during the day when I cannot get to the fitness center. I figure that any amount of activity is better than none at all.