Little Girl Turned Trucker

Today my daughter boomed her first F.

She didn’t just boom it… she sounded it out.

FAAAUUUUCCCCKKKKAAAAAA.

With her fingers tightly wrapped around a marker, arm high in the air, her little girl face looked back and forth between her fathers’ and mine.

Her lips curled around the sounds the F and the K made and I watched in slow motion as her fathers’ fists tightened into balls and his face turned the perfect shade of purple.

His little girl turned trucker.

smiley

The reaction I had planned; calmly telling her that we don’t say that word, asking where she might have heard it, explaining why it’s not nice, discussing other words we might say – didn’t come naturally (or at all). Instead her mature, responsible mother; hid her head behind the newspaper and giggled uncontrollably at the sight of an (almost) 3 year old molding her mouth over a word she was so unsure of.

I wanted to tell her that intelligent people do not say that word (ahem), but I couldn’t see out of my tightly closed eyes, or hear out of my plugged ears, both done to keep from looking at, and laughing at, a furious father who was demanding to know who “Sousa” was; the person my daughter told him had taught her this “filthy” word.

There was no “Sousa.”

There was just an (almost) three-year old learning a word we had shielded her from for this long, and a father with a heavy heart.

Oh and a mother.

A mother laughing hysterically behind a newspaper.

There was that.

18 Responses to Little Girl Turned Trucker
  1. Julie
    February 12, 2013 | 3:25 pm

At first I thought I’d be mortified when (because it was a when, not an if) my kid started repeating profanity.

But I find that I’m sort of meh about it. I mean, we don’t go to the church nursery anymore, of course, but I don’t think me freaking about it is going to make him say it less. In fact, if I make too big of a deal about it, he’s going to say it MORE.

Plus, its really funny when a toddler stubs his toe and growls “SUNUVABEEECH.”

February 12, 2013 | 9:03 pm

OMG, that’s hilarious!!
      So far we’re just hovering around OH MY Goooddd, which does fly with me.

2. Jenny
    February 12, 2013 | 5:45 pm

So my oldest was making up baby names, and the one name that she kept repeating to her teachers was (fookah) which sounded exactly like the F bomb. The teachers at her daycare pulled us aside and tried to tell the story without laughing. I felt relieved since she attends a Lutheran daycare/preschool, and I was worried we were going to be in trouble. We let her know that the name she was making up sounded a lot like a word that we should not say. I am laughing with you, and your little miss looks so triumphant and gleeful in that picture.

February 12, 2013 | 9:01 pm

Hahaha so glad to hear stories where we aren’t the only parents going through this!

3. ra
    February 12, 2013 | 8:23 pm

Heheheeeehaaaahaaaamuhagaha….me love you long time..

February 12, 2013 | 9:00 pm

Oh Ma Beav!
      Me love You too.

4. Alison
    February 12, 2013 | 8:46 pm

It’s hilarious when kids spout bad words. It may not be right, but damn, it’s funny.

February 12, 2013 | 8:58 pm

I have to agree Alison… I think it’s hilarious too!

February 13, 2013 | 8:10 am

My oldest never did this, and I was shocked. I was always waiting for that first slip to happen but he never did. But now with my little ones? I can’t count how many times they’ve repeated certain words! I thought I would calmly give them that same speech. Nope. I’m hiding my face behind my hands laughing hysterically. Yeah, I’m mature like that.

February 13, 2013 | 9:49 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only mother laughing and giggling! I can’t help myself.

6. Kir
    February 13, 2013 | 3:39 pm

I am right there with you sister…I laugh and then look ASTONISHED..”WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT?” when I goddamn (HA) well where it was.

now, they both says things like “it’s an adult word” and “so and so said it in school, but I can’t say it Mommy..I’ll whisper it to you, but I’m not saying it!”

Gio is very good with the rules of this, Jacob just likes to see how far he can push my patience.

she’s so cute, how could you NOT giggle, they have no idea what they are saying..so for now, it is CUTE and funny.

xo

February 17, 2013 | 8:37 pm

I love that your boys are completely their own people.

I was always told growing up that adults can say different things than children. I think adults still need to watch their mouths around kids though..

7. Shell
    February 13, 2013 | 4:37 pm

I’ll admit that I have to hide my laughing when my boys say something they shouldn’t. Not the reaction I would like, but it’s what happens!

February 17, 2013 | 8:34 pm

they’re adorable when they make a mistake…

8. erin margolin
    February 14, 2013 | 11:18 am

omg, my kids are so funny about bad words. although my bad words of choice are generally “shit” and “damn it,” and (so far) they’ve never heard me say the f word. which doesn’t mean it won’t happen! LOL

But she’s so cute, how can you help but laugh?!!? love the pic!

February 17, 2013 | 8:33 pm

I think it’s also how you react when you say it in front of them. If it comes out and you act like it’s a big deal then they’re going to want to say the word.

February 24, 2013 | 11:20 am

You HAVE to laugh! The first time Claire said it, she was repeating me, and I was in distress, so i didn’t think it was funny. The second time, when it was completely natural (and like 2 years later)? SO FUNNY.

February 25, 2013 | 6:56 pm

I’m so glad other mothers can relate. that’s why I love blogging.