Refusing a Niche

I don’t fit into the “norm” of blogging.

I don’t have a specific “niche” or “group” and I don’t participate in “a comment for a comment” readership.

Because I read words that speak to me.

I’m passionate about so many things and fitting my words into one element would be impossible.

I get fired up about Mental Health advocacy and educating people about peanut allergies; I get excited about free speech and encouraging people to speak up and out; I stand up for injustice and speak for positive change; I enjoy teaching resume and interview skills, and I like to throw in a few poo stories for good measure.

With so many topics how would I fit it all into a defined group?

I am a swirling mix of ideas, beginnings, middles, and how to’s, and I get a little bummed when I see how select the blogging world can be.

My words aren’t just cookie cutter pieces that can slide into perfect categories.

They took time, sometimes days to perfect, and being asked to mold them into a niche or descriptive class is deflating, no matter how crazy, uncomfortable, or in your face they are.  I don’t want to alter them to fit in, be invited, or to be published quicker.

So I’m refusing a Niche.

Blogging can bring you to a community full of loyal friends, supportive networks, and incredible partnerships, but it can also show you the kind of writer you don’t want to be.

Tred carefully.

Stay true to who you are and write the kind of words you want to read.

You are your most important audience.

18 Responses to Refusing a Niche
    March 18, 2013 | 3:35 pm

Your words are always YOU. Whether you’re writing about your metal health journey or a hilarious story about your daughter, I love every single one. Niches are overrated, and probably not as fun, right?

March 19, 2013 | 8:43 am

I love you!
      Thank you for always being here.
      xo

2. Farrah
    March 19, 2013 | 2:31 am

Sometimes I pick my friends so well I surprise myself. You are so right on sister. After all, I care what my kids think of me more than so and so- and my blog is for my family and readers that are interested in us (as I am with them). Not to be judged inadequate by those I don’t look up to in the first place.

March 19, 2013 | 8:42 am

you are such a supportive friend! I’m so grateful to have you hear reading and have your words to lift me up.
      Thank you from the bottom, middle, and top of my heart
      xoxoxoxox

3. Laverne
    March 19, 2013 | 6:02 am

Up until three weeks ago I would have told you I would never want to write a niche blog and then I did. Writing for a blog that has a defined message and that is something you feel passionate and knowledgeable about was such a different experience for me. But even with that I can not possibly imagine being tied to only one focus always. I’ve always felt that I didn’t have a niche on my blog and I was happy not to. It’s very freeing to write what moves you not what fits. I suppose it also depends on what your end goal is as well (marketing, promotion and stuff). Our voices are ever so important. People will come and read the pieces the choose. Passion, being moved by our words and it being enjoyable is what’s really important. Love this piece Leighann!!!!

March 19, 2013 | 8:41 am

I love that you have created a new space for your passion! Your ideas are endless for the new place you have and I’m so proud of you. For you, it works.
      I need to make not having a Niche work for me.

4. Rach (DonutsMama)
    March 19, 2013 | 9:14 am

I’m so glad you wrote this. I’ve been feeling this same way. The post I wrote called “Fringe” was kind of along these lines–about not fitting in, not being defined by groups/labels/cliques. I think that’s why I’m on the periphery alot. But I’m more ok with that lately. I feel like it leaves me more room to be the writer/friend/blogger that I need to be.

5. Kir
    March 19, 2013 | 9:31 am

I have been like this from the beginning..8 years later and I still don’t know where I quite belong, and I was just thinking of that this morning, wondering how to phrase it..and HERE you are, saying it.

YAY.
    you are who you are and you don’t need to be anyone else. THANK GOODNESS.

xo

6. Adrienne
    March 19, 2013 | 10:04 am

AMEN! Sometimes I grow tired of reading how other want me to blog, when I would rather just stay true to myself!

7. Jenn@Fox in the City
    March 19, 2013 | 10:30 am

I could not agree with you more. I write about whatever needs to get out of my head because that it was writing is for me . . . a release.

Also, just in case you had forgotten, you rock!

March 19, 2013 | 1:32 pm

I love the non-nichers because they are real. Their words are the ones I drool over because they move me in non-perverted places.
    I’d rather read 1 quality post a week than 500 shit ones just because “you need to keep the numbers up or have to keep being world dominatrix of the internets”
    Fuck them.
    I love you.

9. Alison
    March 20, 2013 | 9:31 am

I’ve never been in a niche. Too hard. Unless ‘just writing’ is a niche?

March 22, 2013 | 11:14 am

Oonhhhh, I never thought of that Alison, “just writing is a niche.”
      good idea.

March 22, 2013 | 10:53 pm

I read this at just the right time. I was struggling before with feeling like I didn’t fit in with certain circles, but I know that I don’t need to. I’m in this for me. My words and my heart. They don’t always have to fit into a cookie cutter shape.

March 25, 2013 | 2:02 pm

I love that you write for you Kimberly! Keep it up!

11. katery
    March 23, 2013 | 12:38 pm

i used to fit into a niche, i was an infertility blogger but then i had a baby and became a ppd blogger, then my ppd got better (after two looooooooooooong years) and now i no longer have a niche, parenting maybe? not really though, i guess life would be a better name for it and pretty much everything falls into that category. i’m not really a comment for a comment blogger per say, i try to respond to everyone who comments on my blog (it’s not like i get hundreds of comments or even tens of comments) and if someone new comments i pop over to their blog and read a little, but i only like to comment if i have something to say, i don’t really like leaving comments like “good luck” or “congratulations” unless it’s someone i read regularly and that is really all i have to say.

12. Jenny
    March 26, 2013 | 4:10 pm

I love you and your words. You inspire me with your humor, your confidence and your honesty. “Stay true to who you are and write the kind of words you want to read. You are your most important audience.” I love this. Sometimes I get too stuck in my own head for writing. I read so many wonderful posts, and I love people’s styles. It’s not my own. I need to just be me and write what I want.

13. Tara
    March 26, 2013 | 9:07 pm

This is my first time visiting your blog – but this post – THIS POST – is exactly how I feel about blogging. Sometimes I feel left out of the crowd, but I also know I don’t necessarily fill the mold either. I write what I want, for me, and if you like it, awesome!

Thank you for this post and your wonderful words. I’m excited to read more! 🙂