Dearest Car Thief

Dearest Car Thief,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day, full of B&E’s, to focus on my vehicle. I can’t imagine how full your schedule must be, and for you to choose my little car out of all of the others to put your dirty little hands on? I’m not sure how to express my feelings.

But I’ll try.

I work full-time outside of my home, work as a freelance writer inside of my home, my husband works, we have a family, we cut coupons and save our change and we still can’t seem to make ends meet.

So when I came out of work, drove home, and had my husband (who works incredibly hard at a labour intensive job) pointed out that someone had actually used their hands and attempted to gain entry into my vehicle while I was working, pulling my door away from the frame, I was astonished.

Why would someone do that?

What do you do for a living?

Are you struggling?

What was in my car that you needed?

The 40 pennies in the tray that aren’t even in circulation in Canada anymore? The Little People in the back seat that keep my daughter happy while I drive her to daycare each morning? My empty coffee cup?

I am raising my daughter to share, and along with this lesson I am also teaching her that when something is left on the street by another person we Leave. It. Alone.

Because it’s NOT OURS.

My car is not yours.

You do not make the payments on it every month; pay the insurance; change the oil. You didn’t fix the rim when I hit the pot hole, or pay for the $800 worth of work I just had done on it.

But for some reason you believed you were entitled to my property.

You aren’t.

If you want a car of your own go to work, make some money, save it, and then buy a car.

And when you do and I see it sitting on the side of the road?

I won’t touch it.

Why?

Because it’s not mine.

And that’s what responsible adults do.

Asshole.

9 Responses to Dearest Car Thief
  1. Alison
    April 12, 2013 | 6:55 am

You’re far more polite than I would have been if some asshole tried to steal my car.

Glad it wasn’t stolen. Asshole failed. Universe won.

April 12, 2013 | 7:17 am

haha, I wanted to say a lot more (and sure did when I saw the damage) but my parents read. LOL

2. Jordan
    April 12, 2013 | 7:27 am

Oh man that’s the worst feeling ever!! That happened to me in college, someone broke my window and actually stole the radio right out of my car. Who has the balls to do that?! I’m sure it was so drug addict needing a fix. That’s right I said it. I remember feeling like why me?! But it was probably just luck if the draw. Sorry that happened leighann

3. Karen
    April 12, 2013 | 8:44 am

Well said! I had somebody break into my car and try to steal my CD player. It was in my driveway and it happened overnight. The scary thing is that it was probably me that scared him away. 4am and I couldn’t sleep, so I grab my telescope and head to the driveway (free of trees) to check out the sky (yes, that’s right!). I didn’t notice anything until later when Rick pointed out that the door was not closed, just against the frame. We thought either they saw the light come on in the house, or heard me coming out and pushed the door shut not to make any noise!! Glad I didn’t walk right into him!!

4. Coffee Lovin' Mom
    April 12, 2013 | 12:22 pm

That so blows donkey balls..I don’t get the nerve of some people I swear..

5. Ali
    April 12, 2013 | 1:41 pm

I just can’t fathom why people do what they do. Same here. Jeff left my door unlocked (had to point that out) and they rummaged through the whole minivan. The least they could have done was taken some of the trash with them.

April 13, 2013 | 7:49 am

I think that you should smear monkey poo under the door handles.

PS. Shawn lost my cell somewhere in his brother’s garage.

7. Lady Estrogen
    April 15, 2013 | 12:29 pm

That sucks! Is that ON TOP of the fender? WTF.

My Honda was broken into while parked outside my apt when I was living in Toronto by breaking the back window & throwing all the contents of my car on to the sidewalk. Who the eff didn’t hear that, BTW? I think they got $3 in change and it cost me $350 to fix it.

Assholes, indeed.

8. Alison Johnson
    April 16, 2013 | 3:55 am

People are just unbelievable aren’t they.. it makes my blood boil just to think of it. Fortunately I haven’t had this happen to me (yet), but reading your letter above really demonstates what a scumbag thing it is to do. Nothing’s sacred anymore. As if life isn’t enough of a struggle at times, you don’t need this extra BS ! It could have been worse – I’m so glad for you that he wasn’t able to gain access!!!!!