Why It IS Okay to Share Online

train background

Recently I have seen several posts on social media questioning parents and their ease with sharing their children’s pictures and stories. They suggest that we are too free with their lives and perhaps our children will grow up resenting us.

Resenting the potty photo?

What?!

The whole thing is baffling me.

I share my daughter’s pictures, growth, and stories because I am here for a reason.

I nearly drowned in the darkness of Post Partum Depression.

But I won.

And it was because of her.

Then, while my wounds were still healing, I was diagnosed with a fun spin on life called Bipolar II, and was horrified to admit my diagnosis to anyone. The stigma attached to mental illness frightened me and lowered me back into a new sadness.

But that child of mine?

She is my reason for fighting.

So when I see her do incredible things? Reach new milestones? Be her hilarious self? I share it.

Because two years ago, I wasn’t sure I would be here to see any of it.

When she exclaims something so note worthy it needs to be written down or makes me want to bang my head against a wall, I tweet that mess!

Because looking back to last month when I was depressed and needing a reason to hang on… she was my reason.

I share my success and inspiration because there are hundreds of other women going through the same thing I was and they need to know that they are not alone.

What a sad and lonely world it would be if we were.

I’m a PPD Warrior and a fantastic mother.

And if you are fighting this battle I am here.

Share your small successes and make them big ones!

And don’t listen to ignorance…

They haven’t been where you are.

—————————————-

LowestRates.ca is on a mission to find the ultimate SuperMom in Canada with their contest, #LRSuperMoms. The above is my submission.

You can vote for me here, starting on May 6th, as well as share your own SuperMom stories.

Contest rules can be found here.

Pin It

13 Responses to Why It IS Okay to Share Online
  1. Nic
    May 2, 2013 | 6:52 pm

Great Post!!! I agree 100%

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

Love you Nic!

2. just JENNIFER
    May 2, 2013 | 9:59 pm

I even share my kids real names – oh the horrors! This is just a “brave new world” (I hated that book) we’re in and people just need to get used to parenting with social media.

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

I love this comment so VERY much.
      People DO need to get used to social media. We are in a new era and new things are happening.

May 2, 2013 | 10:39 pm

Preach it! I don’t think it’s as big a deal as peoe make it out to be.

I miss you, friend. You make me smile. xo

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

I miss you too sister wife.
      Like, fer realz.

May 3, 2013 | 9:26 am

I agree however there is a line I believe. I don’t agree with potty photos. I don’t agree with bath photos. I also don’t agree with embarrassing stories or stories that are very personal to the child.
    I think that you tactfully write about your daughter. Meaning how much love and light she is. How her spirit is the reason you pull yourself out of bed. And she’s fucking hilarious.
    But you don’t delve into very personal issues and I think that it is very respectful. Kids are individuals too.
    xo

May 6, 2013 | 9:46 am

You are wise.
      There is a line and some people cross it.
      Don’t do that.
      Don’t cross it.
      HAWK-ward.

5. CyndyNewsome
    May 5, 2013 | 6:31 am

I’m with you. I don’t see any difference in posting about our kids vs. taking them out in public. Nor in using their real names vs. calling out their real names in public. In real life, someone could even follow you home! It’s just silly overzealous caution if ya ask me.

May 6, 2013 | 9:46 am

Real life is much more frightening. I work in a very scary line of work but many people don’t see that side of life, they prefer to blame social media.

6. Rach (DonutsMama)
    May 8, 2013 | 10:22 pm

I write about my kid too, but obviously not everything. There are private things I keep to ourselves and there are some really happy moments that I like to just keep close to my heart too. But the funny, everyday, this-is-normal-motherhood stuff I do like to share. And I do share the hard b/c I don’t want other moms to feel alone either.

7. Jenny
    May 9, 2013 | 10:05 am

Huge hugs. This resonated with me so much.

“But that child of mine?

She is my reason for fighting.”

She is the light of your life, and it is evident in all the wonderful stories you write about her.

8. Jenn
    June 4, 2013 | 7:39 pm

I love your perspective on this highly debated issue and I agree with you 110%.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/05/02/why-okay-share-online/trackback/

Why It IS Okay to Share Online

train background

Resenting the potty photo?

What?!

The whole thing is baffling me.

I nearly drowned in the darkness of Post Partum Depression.

But I won.

And it was because of her.

But that child of mine?

She is my reason for fighting.

Because two years ago, I wasn’t sure I would be here to see any of it.

What a sad and lonely world it would be if we were.

I’m a PPD Warrior and a fantastic mother.

And if you are fighting this battle I am here.

Share your small successes and make them big ones!

And don’t listen to ignorance…

They haven’t been where you are.

—————————————-

Contest rules can be found here.

Pin It

13 Responses to Why It IS Okay to Share Online
  1. Nic
    May 2, 2013 | 6:52 pm

Great Post!!! I agree 100%

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

Love you Nic!

2. just JENNIFER
    May 2, 2013 | 9:59 pm

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

I love this comment so VERY much.

May 2, 2013 | 10:39 pm

Preach it! I don’t think it’s as big a deal as peoe make it out to be.

I miss you, friend. You make me smile. xo

May 6, 2013 | 9:47 am

I miss you too sister wife.
      Like, fer realz.

May 3, 2013 | 9:26 am

xo

May 6, 2013 | 9:46 am

You are wise.
      There is a line and some people cross it.
      Don’t do that.
      Don’t cross it.
      HAWK-ward.

5. CyndyNewsome
    May 5, 2013 | 6:31 am

May 6, 2013 | 9:46 am

6. Rach (DonutsMama)
    May 8, 2013 | 10:22 pm

7. Jenny
    May 9, 2013 | 10:05 am

Huge hugs. This resonated with me so much.

“But that child of mine?

She is my reason for fighting.”

8. Jenn
    June 4, 2013 | 7:39 pm

I love your perspective on this highly debated issue and I agree with you 110%.