Mean Mom

“YOU’RE MEAN!”

Hearing those words for the first time didn’t go like I thought it would, sweet girl.

I remember playing over and over in my head the day that you would scream, or squeak, or whisper that sentence because of frustration, or anger and I would let the tears fall.

I would because I wanted you to see that calling your mother mean is not nice.

(And my feelings would have been very hurt, in the picture I created in my head).

But today, after playing your hardest and best at daycare, then coming home to tell us all about it, refusing dinner, jumping off of surfaces, playing in makeup, opening and closing the fridge without permission, and going potty 500 times, you were exhausted.

And so ready for an early bedtime.

But at three years old you don’t believe me when I tell you this.

Hearing bedtime and brush your teeth, pajamas and no more treats, puts me in the mean category and that, my love, is okay.

I am here to follow through, protect you, guide you, and make sure you are well. I am here to make sure the surfaces you jump off of aren’t too high, the candy you eat is just enough, and the fridge gets closed every time.

When you grow up I know you will see I wasn’t mean.

I was kind of alright.

And just being mom.

17 Responses to Mean Mom
  1. Lindsay Field
    May 16, 2013 | 7:45 pm

Oh dear… well… take comfort in the fact that “you’re mean” is probably going to be one of the nicer things she yells at you in about 10 years lol.
    You’re a great mom.

May 22, 2013 | 12:31 pm

Sigh.
      That’s so true.
      I will need to remember to come back and read this.

May 16, 2013 | 8:48 pm

Hugs, friend. This mom thing isn’t easy. If it makes you feel any better, I’m kinda numb to “I don’t like you, Mommy!” I hear it often. I just say, “That’s okay. You don’t have to like me. I still love you.” But it did sting the first few times. xo

May 22, 2013 | 12:31 pm

My mom used to say that to me all the time and I would wonder how she could love me when I was saying I hated her.
      I get it now.

3. Nic
    May 16, 2013 | 9:07 pm

Awww this kinda makes me sad only because my feelings get hurt everyday when my little daycare friends say I’m mean for a time out (hitting) or when I remind them not to pick there nose x100. I get it. Wait till she is 9 and tells you she hates you because you took her iPod away 🙁
    Your an awesome Mama! Love You! Xoxo

May 22, 2013 | 12:30 pm

My little G didn’t say I hate you did she??
      I don’t believe it.

4. Elaine A.
    May 16, 2013 | 10:18 pm

Has she said “I hate you!” yet? I hope not but I warn you that it’s probably coming. My oldest (son) has said it a few times. Their little emotions just get the best of them sometimes. You know, just like us…

xo

May 22, 2013 | 12:30 pm

We haven’t heard “I hate you” yet… but I’m waiting, it’s coming one day soon

5. Carrie (akaLaverne)
    May 17, 2013 | 5:04 am

Ya know usually when they say you’re mean it means you are doing this whole parenting thing right!!! I love how you owned where he was at. You recognized what she had been through that day, recognized how you felt but then knew what you had to do and stuck to your guns. I remember the first time my oldest told me “you’re a mean mommy, mommy” I have to admit it didn’t go how I thought either because I turned away from her smiled and did a little “yes” in my head then turned around with a straight face ad said “I’m sorry you feel that way you still need to…” These are fun times…huh?! And yes we are help mold them into the fantastic adults they will be!!!

May 22, 2013 | 12:29 pm

I love seeing your NAME!!!
      thank you for being here and boosting me up!
      It was hard hearing her say that but I know that her saying I’m mean means I’m doing my job.

6. Paulette
    May 17, 2013 | 9:27 am

Hey, yeah that first time hearing “You’re mean!” or “I hate you!” can be so rough. It gets better with time, really. Especially better with each additional kid. By the time my youngest told me she I hated me, I was a pro at saying, “I’m sorry you feel that way.” Completely throws them for a loop.

May 22, 2013 | 12:29 pm

I know it will get easier the more I hear it.
      The first time really throws ya.

7. Alaina
    May 17, 2013 | 3:30 pm

Heck yes! I say being the mean mom pays back more than giving in. You will be thanked some day.

May 22, 2013 | 12:28 pm

That’s what I think too… one day I will be glad that I was the Mean mom instead of the giving in all the time mom.

8. Mom
    May 24, 2013 | 6:55 am

It has now begun… the poem on her wall “I love you enough” says it all. Sometimes Mom has to be “mean” to be MOM. Love ‘ya.

May 27, 2013 | 4:39 am

When I sent chase to school, of was traumatic for all of us. No matter how much I explained to him it was the right thing, I was the evil mom. Killed me. But I know that this will make a great story one day.
    Kids really don’t know how powerful the word hate is.
    She loves the shit out of you. Keep Rollin like you do momma.

May 30, 2013 | 5:48 pm

I love the sh capital IT out of you.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/05/16/mean-mom/trackback/

Mean Mom

“YOU’RE MEAN!”

I would because I wanted you to see that calling your mother mean is not nice.

And so ready for an early bedtime.

But at three years old you don’t believe me when I tell you this.

When you grow up I know you will see I wasn’t mean.

I was kind of alright.

And just being mom.

17 Responses to Mean Mom
  1. Lindsay Field
    May 16, 2013 | 7:45 pm

You’re a great mom.

May 22, 2013 | 12:31 pm

Sigh.
      That’s so true.
      I will need to remember to come back and read this.

May 16, 2013 | 8:48 pm

May 22, 2013 | 12:31 pm

I get it now.

3. Nic
    May 16, 2013 | 9:07 pm

Your an awesome Mama! Love You! Xoxo

May 22, 2013 | 12:30 pm

My little G didn’t say I hate you did she??
      I don’t believe it.

4. Elaine A.
    May 16, 2013 | 10:18 pm

xo

May 22, 2013 | 12:30 pm

We haven’t heard “I hate you” yet… but I’m waiting, it’s coming one day soon

5. Carrie (akaLaverne)
    May 17, 2013 | 5:04 am

May 22, 2013 | 12:29 pm

I love seeing your NAME!!!
      thank you for being here and boosting me up!

6. Paulette
    May 17, 2013 | 9:27 am

May 22, 2013 | 12:29 pm

I know it will get easier the more I hear it.
      The first time really throws ya.

7. Alaina
    May 17, 2013 | 3:30 pm

May 22, 2013 | 12:28 pm

8. Mom
    May 24, 2013 | 6:55 am

May 27, 2013 | 4:39 am

Kids really don’t know how powerful the word hate is.
    She loves the shit out of you. Keep Rollin like you do momma.

May 30, 2013 | 5:48 pm

I love the sh capital IT out of you.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/05/16/mean-mom/trackback/