Let Your Hair Down and Dance

Ringlets danced along her shoulders while she hopped from one puddle to the next.

I watched from behind her, holding back my be carefuls, don’t get your pants wet, and my don’t splash too hards – because that’s what being a kid is all about.

She jumped high, kicked hard, and laughed all the live long day.

Every part of her danced while she played in her puddle.

And while I watched I realized that somewhere between work, a child, financial responsibilities, and friends I had forgotten how to be in the moment and soak in the dance.

I’d forgotten to play because it’s super fun.

To squeal without inhibition, run through grass without shoes on, jump in muddy water, play in mud, race through sprinklers, collect rocks and put them in pockets because what else are pockets for?

I continued to watch my daughter engage and exclaim with such joy so effortlessly and I came to understand that I need to feel that joy more often.

The simple joy that my daughter feels.

But how do I get there?

I do it by working on me and getting back to finding my centre.

Always accepting change, encouraging growth, and developing; by relaxing, taking time for myself, and disengaging with negativity.

And letting the curls bounce off my shoulders every once in a while.

photo-65

How do you take time for yourself?

11 Responses to Let Your Hair Down and Dance
  1. Alison
    May 28, 2013 | 1:31 am

Children raise us as much as we raise them, yes?

May 30, 2013 | 5:48 pm

perfect Alison, yes!!

2. Farrah
    May 28, 2013 | 6:48 am

Isn’t it funny sometimes how we do that- want to say, ‘No, wait, you’re going to…’ and then, why ruin the moment? I find more than enough opportunities to critique or forewarn, but I realize I will also be grey haired by the time I’m 40 (not that far, actually) if I don’t chill. Boys will do that to me, I need to accept it 🙂 And I make time- not sure how, but I do. I’ll go loco if I don’t!

May 30, 2013 | 5:47 pm

that’s what I’m trying to remind myself as well… just chill or you will send yourself over the deep end.

3. Susan
    May 28, 2013 | 8:00 am

OH, I just love this. I always find myself “ruining the fun” and remembering how I felt when I was a kid and my mom was too busy being organized and being a mom to let loose and just play. My “one word” for the year is “FUN.” Which is a struggle for me. Isn’t that ridiculous? That it’s hard for me to have fun?

Yes, it’s the little things. And our children show us that it’s dancing in a puddle that makes fun happen.

May 30, 2013 | 5:47 pm

I love that you were able to relate to this.
      And your word for the year? Awesome!! I think I will try that next year.

May 29, 2013 | 12:10 am

I suck at playing. But when I DO do it…it feels damn good.

May 29, 2013 | 12:15 pm

Chunky used to take rocks home all the time. I’d forget that they were in there and would wash them in the washer.
    I laughed every single time I found those damn rocks…kids are cool like that.

May 30, 2013 | 5:45 pm

I’ve thought about keeping a jar of all of the things I find but then I realize there are no jars big enough.

6. Sarcasm Goddess
    May 30, 2013 | 10:50 am

It’s so hard to make time for myself. To tell myself it’s ok to play. I always feel like there is something else I should be doing. Writing, blogging and reading blogs have become a luxury. Today I’m giving myself permission to do it and play.

May 30, 2013 | 5:41 pm

Yay for you! I’m so glad you embraced what I was trying to say! I hope you had a good day.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/05/27/let-your-hair-down-dance/trackback/

Let Your Hair Down and Dance

She jumped high, kicked hard, and laughed all the live long day.

Every part of her danced while she played in her puddle.

I’d forgotten to play because it’s super fun.

The simple joy that my daughter feels.

But how do I get there?

I do it by working on me and getting back to finding my centre.

And letting the curls bounce off my shoulders every once in a while.

photo-65

How do you take time for yourself?

11 Responses to Let Your Hair Down and Dance
  1. Alison
    May 28, 2013 | 1:31 am

Children raise us as much as we raise them, yes?

May 30, 2013 | 5:48 pm

perfect Alison, yes!!

2. Farrah
    May 28, 2013 | 6:48 am

May 30, 2013 | 5:47 pm

3. Susan
    May 28, 2013 | 8:00 am

May 30, 2013 | 5:47 pm

I love that you were able to relate to this.
      And your word for the year? Awesome!! I think I will try that next year.

May 29, 2013 | 12:10 am

I suck at playing. But when I DO do it…it feels damn good.

May 29, 2013 | 12:15 pm

I laughed every single time I found those damn rocks…kids are cool like that.

May 30, 2013 | 5:45 pm