The House of Donald

I could see my daughter’s tiny body disappear up into the slide after I’d called her, for what felt like the 50th time, to come over to the fence where I was waiting.

My requests were ignored and I swore in my head at the fast food chain for putting the fancy gates around the play structure, making it impossible for the plus size parent to penetrate.

It smelled like child sweat, my daughters socks were off, and she was hiding from me in the slide.

Time to go home.

I could hear giggles – a direct hit to my parent ego – after I called her for the 51st time, so I pulled out my serious ammo.

“If you EVER want to come here again you will come down here RIGHT now.”

And I so meant it.

I remember as a child thinking my parents were SO unfair when they followed through on consequences, but I get it now. It’s the hardest part of parenting, but the most necessary.

With the idea of never coming back to “stinky cage land” my daughter begrudgingly gathered her socks and ran for the exit where I nabbed her and ushered her to the car for a “little chat.”

Those “chats” are one of the reasons I had a child.

So I could use big words like, “appropriate,” and “disappointed.”

It was determined that we wouldn’t be coming back to the House of Donald for a while, based on her behaviour.

But the real punishment?

A serious foot scrubbing and mega bath to get rid of the smelly cage germs as soon as we got home!

5 Responses to The House of Donald
  1. Rach (DonutsMama)
    May 31, 2013 | 2:30 pm

Ok I’m glad I’m not the only parent who scrubs my kid down after going to those play places. They gross me out!! It is super hard to follow through, I’m so learning that right now myself!

May 31, 2013 | 10:57 pm

I try to make sure the consequence isn’t also a punishment for me 😉

Also you are right to scrub her down after playing there. Rachel peed her pants in one of those playscapes once.

June 3, 2013 | 10:41 am

My biggest problem with those threats are that I have terrible follow through with keeping them. I’m trying to do better about only threatening things I’ll actually stick to and that won’t affect me negatively.

June 7, 2013 | 8:57 am

Once my brother jumped into the ball pit and wouldn’t move. My dad had to squeeze in there to get him. The reason why he didn’t come out was because he jumped into some other kids pee. No joke.
    His knees were soaked (no it wasn’t him because his crotch was totally dry). Gross. kids are gross.
    My parents always told me that disciplining us was far worse than our punishment. I get it now.

June 11, 2013 | 7:59 pm

I will never take my daughter to a ball pit. It used to be because I was afraid of needles in there but now its because of pee.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/05/30/house-donald/trackback/

The House of Donald

Time to go home.

“If you EVER want to come here again you will come down here RIGHT now.”

And I so meant it.

Those “chats” are one of the reasons I had a child.

So I could use big words like, “appropriate,” and “disappointed.”

But the real punishment?