The “MeMe Fairy“

I remember before our daughter was born promising myself that I wouldn’t allow her to have a soother. I wouldn’t give in to the temptation and put the soothing contraption, that has assisted parents for generations, into my child’s mouth.

I had seen my friends struggle, watched them curse the attachments their chidren had to their soothers, and sworn I wouldn’t put my child, or myself, through the same thing.

I said a lot of things before I became a mother.

Then the day came when my tiny newborn wouldn’t stop crying.

Why wouldn’t she stop crying?

I desperately reached into the stack of supplies I had accumulated, pulled out a soother, and stuffed it into her mouth.

And… silence.

Happiness.

Heart rate normal – hers and mine.

Then I went back in time and slapped myself across the face for ever judging my mommy friends when I had no basis, no experience, and no idea.

Now, three years later, we are faced with a dilemma. Our daughter loves her soother, calls it her best friend, and has nicknamed it her “MeMe.”

“MeMe” truly is her best friend, and although we have transitioned her from an all the time user to now being a bed and nap time user she still cries for it when she needs comfort or needs her little buddy.

We wouldn’t be so quick to push except a recent trip to the dentist revealed it was time for the soother to hit the road, so this weekend the “MeMe Fairy” is planning on stopping by.

We have bigged this moment up HUGE and our daughter knows that the “MeMe Fairy will be coming to take her soother to another child and will leave her a gift. We have been talking at length about the benefits of this milestone.

But she is not thrilled and has informed us that no other child will want her soother so she will just hang on to it.

Thankyouverymuchmomanddad.

I am excited, nervous, and anticipating very little sleep.

Hopefully the “MeMe Fairy” brings me an increase in meds.

Wish us luck.

17 Responses to The “MeMe Fairy“
  1. Trish L
    June 13, 2013 | 7:26 pm

U know, the things i have anticipated to be life altering, therapy inducing events for Sebastien…have not even phased him. I think u have come up with a very creative and positive way for her to give up her meme without a hitch. My hope for u guys..is that she wakes in the morning, discovers that FAIRY has been in her room..and carries on like her meme never even existed. Just be sure u get them ALL out of the house…nothings sets u back a couple steps when ur toddler chases lightning mcqueen under the bed and comes out with a big blue soother attached to his face!!!lmao

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

this made me laugh out loud Trish!!! Thank you.

2. Alison
    June 13, 2013 | 9:04 pm

Ooh, good luck!

3. Mama and the City
    June 14, 2013 | 12:34 am

I am fortunate my baby never liked the soother, no matter how many times I forced it to her, no matter how many styles I bought for her. No, never wanted it.

Good luck!

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

You are one lucky mama!!!

4. Nic
    June 14, 2013 | 5:58 am

I’ve been there 🙁 I feel for both of you! She is such a string girlie and may surprise you! You will do great and get through this. Xoxo Nic

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

you were the friend I was referring to. I know you’ve been there and I love that you are so patient when it comes to transitioning your children from one stage to the next. You are incredible.

5. Carrie (akaLaverne)
    June 14, 2013 | 6:25 am

You have a plan. You have thought it through. You are not lying to get or trying to trick her. You are telling her what is going to happen. Those are powerful things. It did just occur to me regarding her need to just have something to help her sooth. What if the fairy lady her a replacement soother. I stuffed animal or something with a thank you note for what she had done? Also the now that I’m a mother lesson. How reflective of you. I have had a few of thoseoments too. I am learning more and more not to judge or think I know. We really don’t until we are right in the middle of it. Good luck this weekend. Be brave! And just do it!!

June 14, 2013 | 1:41 pm

oh you and your sweet comments. I am not looking forward to tonight but she has done great with nap time and only needed it to fall asleep, I took in out of her mouth once she had fallen asleep and she was fine. I am nervous but I know it will be worth it.

6. Lindsay
    June 14, 2013 | 8:04 am

The weekend will seem like a long one – not gonna lie to you. But I’m sure she will pull through it. It will be harder on you than her. Be strong. Stick with it. Your lack of orthodontist bills will remind you what a good choice it was…

June 14, 2013 | 1:40 pm

I love you for saying that Linds.Thank you, I know it will be hard but it will be so worth it once it’s over.

June 14, 2013 | 11:13 am

Good luck!

June 14, 2013 | 1:20 pm

I’m not sure if she has seen any of the Shrek movies…but we told the boy child that if he kept using his soo soo, his teeth would look like Shreks.
    Dude.
    Worked.
    You have to get her to watch the first one. I think they zoom up on his teeth in the first few minutes.
    PS. Good Luck. I skimmed to the bottom because I’m lazy like that.

June 14, 2013 | 1:40 pm

I think we have shrek here somewhere. I like to sing the songs and dance around the house.
      That’s normal.

9. Imperfectmomma
    June 14, 2013 | 1:56 pm

Oh girl, I do not look forward to that time. We were blessed w monkey to go cold turkey and it be fine, but w Diva? Oh I am scared. I have no words of encouragement except to say don’t over think it and maybe invest in some Benadryl? 😉

June 16, 2013 | 3:19 pm

so far so good, the first night was not easy but it’s slowly getting easier.

10. […] On Friday night, after much preparation, we put our daughter to bed without her “MeMe.” […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/06/13/meme-fairy/trackback/

The “MeMe Fairy“

I said a lot of things before I became a mother.

Then the day came when my tiny newborn wouldn’t stop crying.

Why wouldn’t she stop crying?

And… silence.

Happiness.

Heart rate normal – hers and mine.

Thankyouverymuchmomanddad.

I am excited, nervous, and anticipating very little sleep.

Hopefully the “MeMe Fairy” brings me an increase in meds.

Wish us luck.

17 Responses to The “MeMe Fairy“
  1. Trish L
    June 13, 2013 | 7:26 pm

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

this made me laugh out loud Trish!!! Thank you.

2. Alison
    June 13, 2013 | 9:04 pm

Ooh, good luck!

3. Mama and the City
    June 14, 2013 | 12:34 am

Good luck!

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

You are one lucky mama!!!

4. Nic
    June 14, 2013 | 5:58 am

June 14, 2013 | 1:43 pm

5. Carrie (akaLaverne)
    June 14, 2013 | 6:25 am

June 14, 2013 | 1:41 pm

6. Lindsay
    June 14, 2013 | 8:04 am

June 14, 2013 | 1:40 pm

June 14, 2013 | 11:13 am

Good luck!

June 14, 2013 | 1:20 pm

Dude.
    Worked.
    PS. Good Luck. I skimmed to the bottom because I’m lazy like that.

June 14, 2013 | 1:40 pm

That’s normal.

9. Imperfectmomma
    June 14, 2013 | 1:56 pm

June 16, 2013 | 3:19 pm

so far so good, the first night was not easy but it’s slowly getting easier.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/06/13/meme-fairy/trackback/