The “MeMe Fairy” Revisited

On Friday night, after much preparation, we put our daughter to bed without her “MeMe.”

Something she had gone to sleep with for 3 years.

For the week leading up to that night we discussed what it might be like to fall asleep without a soother. We talked about what she might do and that she might feel sad or cry; that it was okay.

We shared with her the magic of the “MeMe Fairy,” a Fairy who comes and takes the soothers to other babies and leaves children presents for being so brave.

photo-731

She was ready.

But a half an hour in on Friday night and she believed the “MeMe Fairy” was a cruel, cruel toad who had taken her soother to another land where they boil and eat them. She painted a horrible picture in her mind and asked questions about the Fairy and her purpose, demanding to know her location, approximate height, and reason she hadn’t been rehabilitated from thieving soothers.

She tried everything to get to sleep; stuffing her hands in her mouth, her fingers, her hair, my hair, my nose, and the pillow.

And there was crying.

Lots. Of. Crying.

But I stayed calm and reassured her that she could do it.

At an hour and a half she fell asleep, mouth wide open, hands deep in her hair.

I was happy with that amount of time but I knew that the battle wasn’t over, we still had to get through the night.

And THAT’S where I earned my medal.

At 2am she began asking for her soother, and two and a half hours of begging between bits of sleep led me to rocking her in the chair and shushing her to sleep, reassuring her (and myself) each time that she could do it.

Once morning came, and she saw that she had reached the goal?

photo-741

That was when I realized I’d do it all over again!

So we continue.. night after night. And it does get easier. She asks where her MeMe is periodically and wants to know why it’s gone, but night time has gone from taking hours to half hours and the midnight wake ups aren’t nearly as long.

Success!

I can see the light and it’s soother free.

8 Responses to The “MeMe Fairy” Revisited
  1. Nic
    June 16, 2013 | 9:38 pm

Yippie! Congratulations Mama!!!
    I knew “You” could do it. It’s so hard being a parent sometimes. I knew you could do it!!! What a big girl S is!!! Tell her that Aunt Nickey is so very proud! Xoxoxo

June 16, 2013 | 11:07 pm

You’re so awesome! Way to stick with it. We were able to wean Rachel off her paci around 18 months, but Claire still sucks her thumb. THAT is going to be tough.

3. Jordan
    June 17, 2013 | 3:17 am

The light at the end of the tunnel seems to be what we as parents are always looking for!! It’s funny how no one told us when we signed up just how tough it really was, and if they did I probably didn’t believe them. I’m currently trying to wean my child off of his soother he is only 4 mths but the soother is winning the battle. However I read if you do it around 4-5 mths there are a few rough nights/ days but they forget about it. However I don’t seem to have the strength bc now at 415am after 1/2hr of rocking I creep over lay him down and he cries. After 3 mins of me trying to calm him in goes the soother. Parent fail.
    Anyway I’m rambling I must sleep. Very happy you have conquered the soother:) can u send the fairy here now:)

4. Lyla Jackson
    June 17, 2013 | 9:56 am

Woot! Woot!
    And thanks for the twitter shout out. you are so sweet.

5. Kristen
    June 17, 2013 | 9:25 pm

I knew you could BOTH do it!! and Brian too I guess lol

So proud of you for staying strong I know it had to be hard she loved that darn thing so much.

Great job you two πŸ™‚

Love you both

x0x0 K.

6. Farrah
    June 18, 2013 | 1:12 am

You know you’re my hero here, yes? Because you are. You know my struggles- and we keep backpedaling. I just don’t have the resolve that you both do πŸ™

Great work! We hope to be on the other side someday too πŸ™‚

7. Alison
    June 18, 2013 | 1:29 am

That’s great!! Yay!

June 22, 2013 | 10:48 am

That’s great!! Yay!

You should have told her that angry trolls stole them.
    Kidding.
    Don’t do that.
    I think a large part of weaning kids off of anything is the will of the parents.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/06/16/meme-fairy-revisited/trackback/

The “MeMe Fairy” Revisited

Something she had gone to sleep with for 3 years.

photo-731

She was ready.

And there was crying.

Lots. Of. Crying.

But I stayed calm and reassured her that she could do it.

At an hour and a half she fell asleep, mouth wide open, hands deep in her hair.

And THAT’S where I earned my medal.

Once morning came, and she saw that she had reached the goal?

photo-741

That was when I realized I’d do it all over again!

Success!

I can see the light and it’s soother free.

8 Responses to The “MeMe Fairy” Revisited
  1. Nic
    June 16, 2013 | 9:38 pm

Yippie! Congratulations Mama!!!

June 16, 2013 | 11:07 pm

3. Jordan
    June 17, 2013 | 3:17 am

4. Lyla Jackson
    June 17, 2013 | 9:56 am

Woot! Woot!
    And thanks for the twitter shout out. you are so sweet.

5. Kristen
    June 17, 2013 | 9:25 pm

I knew you could BOTH do it!! and Brian too I guess lol

Great job you two πŸ™‚

Love you both

x0x0 K.

6. Farrah
    June 18, 2013 | 1:12 am

Great work! We hope to be on the other side someday too πŸ™‚

7. Alison
    June 18, 2013 | 1:29 am

That’s great!! Yay!

June 22, 2013 | 10:48 am

That’s great!! Yay!

You should have told her that angry trolls stole them.
    Kidding.