Stretching Pay Day

Every payday I sit down and feverishly write down our expected expenses and what might be coming in for the next two weeks. I get excited when my budget ends up in the black and post it in the side of my fridge, eager to follow along.

And then someone needs to go to the dentist, or I blow a tire, or I forget that I have a hydro bill, and the numbers inch closer and closer into the red, and the distance between pay cheques becomes further and further away.

As my anxiety climbs and I rearrange numbers trying to figure out how each bill will get paid on time. I watch people planning lavish trips, buying brand new wardrobes, and going to the spa weekly.

Is it because we don’t have credit cards? Or are we doing something wrong in our budgeting.

Could I be going on lavish trips yearly? Or even paying my hydro bill on time?

As the cost of living climbs so does our stress. Discussions held with family and friends lead to implications that my husband and I should make enough money to cover our bills. How could it be possible that with good jobs we can’t make ends meet?

Well with my crack addiction it’s very hard.

I’m kidding.

My drug of choice is food.

The economy that we’re living in now is nothing like the one we were living in when our parents were finishing high school and going into full time jobs. We are now experiencing more job loss than ever before and our family alone has seen three lay offs in under five years.

We are paying an astronomical amount for daycare, our cars, and our mortgage and then on top of that the price of living continues to climb.

We have cut corners, cut bills out, cut the grocery bill down, and tried to cut costs at every degree.

We are still struggling.

And I know we aren’t the only ones, but it often feels like it.

Our generation, the ones who are being responsible with their money, who aren’t living on credit cards, and who are  really trying to dig themselves out of house and living expenses, are finding it harder and harder to stay above water.

The more credit we approve for people who can’t afford it the further in dept we force those who are living credit card free, and the higher the cost of living goes, causing us to struggle more.

So tell me your secrets for living in this economy.

Is it really just me?

14 Responses to Stretching Pay Day
  1. Sarah De Visser
    July 10, 2013 | 10:10 am

It’s definitely NOT just you! Last year we (happily) broke past the poverty line (as a single income family). That means this year (unhappily) the government will give me much less in monthly kid-related payments. I am not looking forward to re-doing our monthly budget this month and trying to figure out how to do it all with about $400 less…

July 16, 2013 | 9:25 am

I’m with you on the payments from the government. I haven’t received much from them in a very long time. I’m so happy to hear that you are past the poverty line, but sometimes that means less help that you depended on.
      It’s bittersweet.

2. Robin
    July 10, 2013 | 10:30 am

It is tight and daycare costs just bite you in the arse no matter which way you look at it. No big vacations for us either. Especially since my job is about to go belly up at the end of summer. Not looking forward to the budget then. We’ve already cancelled our tv.

July 16, 2013 | 9:23 am

It seems like so many of us are suffering right now and cancelling the things that we don’t really need. Bye bye TV, phone, internet… OH NO NOT THE INTERNET!!! lol.
      Sorry to hear about your job, I understand so very much!

3. Lisa
    July 10, 2013 | 10:54 am

Seeing as I can only afford to go on vacation this year because I’m working fulltime and parttime—your not the only one. Oh, and the vacation–actually a business trip so its a write off. Otherwise I couldn’t afford it!

July 16, 2013 | 9:22 am

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!! You deserve it!

July 11, 2013 | 12:20 am

We don’t use credit cards either. Every time I see a lavish vacation, I consider the fact that they scored a good deal (our trip to the Great Wolf Lodge was from a Groupon), used airline and hotel points, or went into massive debt.

July 16, 2013 | 9:22 am

You don’t use credit cards either? OMG I love you even more! I had no idea!! SIGH… it ain’t easy

5. Rach (DonutsMama)
    July 11, 2013 | 4:27 pm

Sometimes I wonder too how people do it. There’s a saying here that people live like $40,000 millionaires. I think a lot of people overspend and have massive credit card debt. Appearances can be deceiving. We live in a nice neighborhood. But people don’t understand the extent of financial planning we did. When I was single and working, I saved and saved and saved while other people bought designer shoes & purses & cars. When we married, we lived in a tiny condo, paid it off and started living off of 1 income knowing that I wanted to stay home when we had kids. We were able to put down a good down payment and therefore afford a nice house. And our frugal habits continue like this–garage sales, hand-me-downs, borrowing things and just not buying into the hype of marketing. I know it’s hard to feel like everyone else has it made but I think more people are fooling themselves than we know.

• Kristen
      July 11, 2013 | 7:45 pm

I totally agree with you 100%

Everytime I see an expensive SUV pulling an equally expensive boat or hear of someone buying a $300,000plus home…I definately do not think to myself “Man they must be rich” I think “Man they MUST be in HUGE debt”!!!

I don’t understand everyone’s need to have everything new all at once…whatever happend to working hard and saving your money…or here’s an idea….just going without!!

July 16, 2013 | 9:20 am

YES! What happened to waiting 25 years for new flooring? that’s what I’ll be doing LOL

July 16, 2013 | 9:21 am

You did it the right way my friend! You made a plan and you saved. Not many people do that anymore. I think you’re right, many people are fooling themselves.

6. Farrah
    July 15, 2013 | 2:29 am

We no longer use credit cards. We left them behind in the states. Personally- I know people that live far, far beyond their means by way of credit cards. Be it to have a bigger house (obvs not credit cards) a lavish trip or just buy buy buy that bigger car. hey, I think to myself. that’s great. I’m happy that thing makes you happy. If they’re not worried about the consequences- that’s their thing.

We spend much, much less over here because we consume so much less. There isn’t a Target for me to go blow $100. I love that. My hope is that I keep that all in mind when we move back and look for a house. I do NOT need a big house. We live here with half of what we had. Life is short- who cares what other people think???

July 16, 2013 | 9:20 am

your posts help me to realize that we really do live on more than we need to. Thank you for helping me see that even though we cut a lot out there is so much more we could be doing.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/07/10/stretching-pay-day/trackback/

Stretching Pay Day

Could I be going on lavish trips yearly? Or even paying my hydro bill on time?

Well with my crack addiction it’s very hard.

I’m kidding.

My drug of choice is food.

We are still struggling.

And I know we aren’t the only ones, but it often feels like it.

So tell me your secrets for living in this economy.

Is it really just me?

14 Responses to Stretching Pay Day
  1. Sarah De Visser
    July 10, 2013 | 10:10 am

July 16, 2013 | 9:25 am

It’s bittersweet.

2. Robin
    July 10, 2013 | 10:30 am

July 16, 2013 | 9:23 am

Sorry to hear about your job, I understand so very much!

3. Lisa
    July 10, 2013 | 10:54 am

July 16, 2013 | 9:22 am

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!! You deserve it!

July 11, 2013 | 12:20 am